Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       11-14-2012, 5:56 PM Reply   
What are these "little metal cover thingys" that cover up the holes where wire is ran through my tower, and where can I get them.? Also where can I get the "UV Mesh Like Stuff" that covers the wires? Pardon the super technical lingo, Im an astronaut.
Attached Images

Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-14-2012, 6:02 PM Reply   
Clam Shell or Scallop and are common from most general marine suppliers. Search for nylon flex loom or expandable loom.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       11-14-2012, 6:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
Clam Shell or Scallop and are common from most general marine suppliers. Search for nylon flex loom or expandable loom.
Thanks
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-14-2012, 6:21 PM Reply   
Most use a 1/2" plastic chassis grommet to dress the wire penetration in the tower so that the wire insulation does not get chafed. The mini clamshell shown is certainly an option. I'm concerned over the use of a three pointed sheet metal screws going into the tower tube interior where wires live, especially the 12 volt anchor light wire. Use sacrificial screws to thread the tower tube wall in advance and then flatten the point of the actual screws before insertion. Keep in mind that stainless steel hardware is softer than normal and is prone to breaking. As an alternative you could drill and tap and use three tiny fine thread machine screws with blunt tips.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       11-14-2012, 6:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e_m View Post
Most use a 1/2" plastic chassis grommet to dress the wire penetration in the tower so that the wire insulation does not get chafed. The mini clamshell shown is certainly an option. I'm concerned over the use of a three pointed sheet metal screws going into the tower tube interior where wires live, especially the 12 volt anchor light wire. Use sacrificial screws to thread the tower tube wall in advance and then flatten the point of the actual screws before insertion. Keep in mind that stainless steel hardware is softer than normal and is prone to breaking. As an alternative you could drill and tap and use three tiny fine thread machine screws with blunt tips.

David
Earmark Marine
Thanks, I found the clam shell vents online, I just wanted the new ones to match the existing ones
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       11-14-2012, 6:48 PM Reply   
Perfect! Then use David's suggestion and make sure to sand the tips off the screws to where it starts to thread.. Put a tiny bead of silicon in each hole and it will also help soften the tip to abrasion and keep a hold until you need to unscrew it.... We do this also when keeping with the cosmetic continuities...