Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (afrodeziak)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-09-2003, 5:23 PM Reply   
I am just wondering form the people who can actually land this trick... when should I start turning for the 180... I basically tried this.

Same approach as I do for my back rolls, go up around, and then when im upside down let go of my front hand and kind of try to twist my body over for the 180... I landed pretty much sideways as if i was doign a butterslide on the wake and then ate it ... SO i didn't get all of the way around... I had the air for it, just trygin to figure out the rotation.

Let me know
Thanks
Old     (jrichard)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-10-2003, 9:08 AM Reply   
Brennan,

My disclaimer is that this is what works for me. But I've heard other descriptions of what works.

I use the same approach and handle position (holding with both hands) for a roll to revert as for a back roll except that I give a slightly harder edge at the wake for a roll to revert.

I let go of the handle with my front hand about 3/4 of the way through the rotation and I then put the handle behind my rear thigh to complete the 180. Most people I know suggest letting go 1/2 way around...which is what I thought I was doing until I watched myself on video.

If you feel you are having to "twist" your body or otherwise force the rotation, then chances are you have not loaded the line enough as you leave the wake (e.g. you need a stronger edge right at the wake...slightly stronger than a regular backroll). Letting go with your front hand and moving the handle behind your rear thigh will complete the rotation...there shouldn't be any effort or feeling of twisting. It ends up feeling like a regular back roll (e.g. no "throwing" or "hucking") except you land edging on your toeside.

One other thing that helped me when learning was to look for and spot the second wake as I was completing the rotation. I think it helped orient me for the landing

Old                06-10-2003, 10:40 AM Reply   
keeping the handle in and pulling with both hands to my hip help me more than anything.
Old     (afrodeziak)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-10-2003, 5:25 PM Reply   
joejoe8 , pulling to yoru front hip ? or rear hip
Old                06-11-2003, 8:03 AM Reply   
Keep the handle in and pull to rear hip at 3/4 that will start the 180. For me the longer i hold with both hands the better i land it. If i let go to soon i land to far on my heels and slide out.