Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-14-2008, 11:20 AM Reply   
Anyone using it? Likes or dislikes? I'm not sure I would want the handle hanging there all the time.
Old     (dunesday)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-14-2008, 9:49 PM Reply   
I have one on my boat. I think it works great. I use a velcro strap to wrap the handle to the tower so it doesn't fling around while not in use. No dislikes so far,, it works completely as advertised
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-14-2008, 11:12 PM Reply   
My buddy has one on his mastercraft. There are a few things you need to know about it if you do get it.
1. When you unwind the rope, do it slowly as you don't want to burn up the motor.
2. Always make sure it is in the locked position when you are going to tow. If you forget, you are going to burn out the motor when you try to pull the rider up because it will unwind too quickly.
3. You need to be careful where you lock the rope. My buddy uses a straight line rope, and he already busted one rope because it will rub against the housing and fray. You need to lock it so a taped part of the rope rests on the housing.

For the record, he wish he didn't buy it. He already burned out the motor and one rope learning how to use it. He is able to hang the handle reasonably well on his mastercraft tower. Personally I don't have an opinion on the winder, but just some information for you.
Old     (dunesday)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-15-2008, 12:43 AM Reply   
Rick has some good points. Reel the rope out at 3mph or less IIRC. Rider jumps in with the handle and I bump the throttle until its out.

I'm not sure about the fraying rope?? The opening on mine is very smooth and it doesn't look like it could fray the rope?? Maybe I'm not understanding where it's fraying at? My rope is perfect and I've been using mine all summer. I know I have the newer version which has a circuit breaker built into it, if the motor overloads while reeling my boarder back in,, it pops the breaker and you need to reach up to the unit and reset it.

Another tid-bit. When you lock it up,, it draws power to do so. Make sure you don't leave it in "lock" over night or your battery will be dead the next day,, I just remembered this over the weekend at Oroville on our houseboat trip,, oops.

I got mine direct from the maker. Darin is the owner and a great guy to talk to. No,, I'm not a spokesman,, just a happy customer.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-15-2008, 10:46 AM Reply   
I vote for a boat bun
Old     (dunesday)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-15-2008, 1:05 PM Reply   
I'll bite,, What's a boat bun???
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-15-2008, 1:21 PM Reply   
These two would be good examples (not my pic but its on wakeworld) You just got to teach them how to winde it up.

Upload
Old     (drilldaddy78)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-15-2008, 4:26 PM Reply   
I would rather that than an electric spool anyday
Old     (dunesday)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-15-2008, 7:03 PM Reply   
Ah,,, gotcha. I've already had this discussion. Those would cost me waaaay more than my ropewinder (as in 1/2 of everything I own).
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-15-2008, 9:22 PM Reply   
this is true, I would destroy a couple of those buns.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-15-2008, 10:16 PM Reply   
Brian is dead on in his assessment on leaving it in the locked position when not in use. Do not do it.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-16-2008, 8:17 AM Reply   
thanks for the input. Sounds like more things to go wrong which I have enough. I'll stick to the buns!
Old     (ropewinder)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-16-2008, 10:10 AM Reply   
Rick, your buddy's rope should not be fraying. Something else must be going on to cause that. Have him contact us and we will help him figure it out asap. We want happy, satisfied customers.

(916)655-3333 or info@ropewinder.com
Old     (dunesday)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-17-2008, 6:32 PM Reply   
Dan, are you and Darin going to Rollins this Sat for the wakeboard event ???
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-17-2008, 10:25 PM Reply   
Dan,

we are going out on it this weekend. i will take a pic of it and show you how it happens. it has nothing to do with how it is taken in or taken out, it has to do with where the rope rubs when out.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-18-2008, 6:56 AM Reply   
I had one... I changed the switch that was included to a switch that matched the rest of my switches on my dash...

ON - OFF - MOMENTARY ON

LOCKED - UNWIND - WIND IN

This way it was impossible to accidently leave the Ropewinder in the winding in position while pulling a rider.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-18-2008, 7:15 AM Reply   
I find RopeWinder to be more cost effective than SkiReel.
But SkiReel is much more durable.

So then I came across this for $69. And I thought to myself... I might be able to make this work.

Upload