Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    jonnyrotten79            07-14-2004, 1:33 AM Reply   
Hey Guys!!

Okay heres the deal my son can no jump the wake and wants a big wake, hes 13 by the way, okay and him and I have been looking at boats and we have decided on between these 2 boats, THE MALIBU LSV or THE MASTERCRAFT X-STAR. Okay so I just wanted all your guys' advise so please help me out because both boats are awesome!! thanks!!
Old    jonnyrotten79            07-14-2004, 1:34 AM Reply   
NOW JUMP THE WAKE***
Old    ihatetubers            07-14-2004, 1:49 AM Reply   
I would say the malibu, i dont own either of them but i have rode behind both, and after you get your boat you should thank me buy giving me a tow!
Old    jonnyrotten79            07-14-2004, 2:04 AM Reply   
O YES AND ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS ON OTHER BOATS ARE WELCOME
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-14-2004, 7:56 AM Reply   
Go to both dealers and sit in the boats, see what lay out will fit you best, and go do a test drive of both boats. We went with the 04 ws lsv because it had more people room than any other boat. Both boats are great, can not go wrong. Also look at each dealer and see who has better customer service that could be the selling point right there.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-14-2004, 10:30 AM Reply   
Getting an expensive boat will not help your son clear the wake.
Old    bross            07-14-2004, 11:51 AM Reply   
He said his son can clear the wake. Go with the X-Star. The boat has tons more storage and in my opinon is more comfortable. Demo if possible. If money was not an issue, I would go with the X-Star.
Old     (boarder1995)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-14-2004, 12:04 PM Reply   
If your son can just clear the wake, it sounds like he's improving, but still a novice/beginner. Having the biggest wake to begin with won't necessarily help the situation. I'd go with a boat that has a more flexible wake, like a direct drive or such (MC X-9, Bu XTI, CC Air Nautique 219, etc.). If a v-drive is the only option, then I'd say X-2 or Wakesetter VLX - something the wake can be dialed down a bit. Having a bigger wake won't help him improve techique - it'll just make him able to be more sloppy and still get big air. Plus if he's intimidated by the wakes, he won't ever charge them hard initially and you'll feel the $60-$80k spent was a waste. Just my thoughts.
-Tim
Old     (aidan)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-14-2004, 12:28 PM Reply   
Malibu..........put the $ difference in college fund............then he can buy you a boat.
Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-14-2004, 12:29 PM Reply   
I have rode behind both..04-23 lsv and 04 X star..many times this summer...2 buddies have them, the 23 lsv is sweet but the X-star is the nicest, sweetest and most solid pull I have ever rode or drove...
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-14-2004, 1:18 PM Reply   
go test drive both and see which one you like better, i would say go with the X-Star because that what i have.
Old    jonnyrotten79            07-14-2004, 2:43 PM Reply   
thanks so for for all the advice i hope to here more because all of u have great opinions
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-14-2004, 8:00 PM Reply   
Im not that good at wakeboarding, but after we got the new boat i had a noticable change in my ridding. If im working on ts or switch i usally ride with no ballast just because its easier to learn with a smaller wake. Look at my profile pic, that at like 2 lengeths off the rope, and about 19 mph with no ballast 2 people and 1/2 tank of gas. The wake is scary at first when all you have ridden is an I/O but you learn to love it.

Here is a question for you, how many people do you bring out with you on most trips? we bring 8-10 on most every trip, so an ws lsv made sense. if you have 6 at the most you might want to check out the vlx and the X-10 and maybe the X-2. Or malibu is going to have the vride which is the 04 vlx with out alot of the options, its a tested and true boat, and it would be easy to upgrade when your son is ready for a fatty wake.

Have fun
Old    jonnyrotten79            07-14-2004, 8:46 PM Reply   
Uh well we have 6 people just in our family and including friends and extra space we would probably bring 9 or 10 on average to the river with us soo yea it makes sence for us too get the LSV also... well uve been a great help man

peace out
Old    nick123            07-14-2004, 8:51 PM Reply   
dude havasu has only 2 xstars and like a million malibus so buy the xstar show it off
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-14-2004, 9:05 PM Reply   
ok, i know this sounds wrong...buy him inboard boat with some ballast. let him get good on that and when he outgrows it, buy the big boat. Buying the big boat will not make him good, and will only get him frustrated that he cant land 900s his first day. Let him learn small and work up. I suggest at least landing an invert before buying a boat like that. It will take him a year or 2 of serious riding before he will be able to use a boat like that to its full potential.