Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    leggester            07-05-2004, 2:55 PM Reply   
So, it's time to replace the hubs. I'm thinking about the oil bath kind over the standard grease filled.

Anyone know any pros or cons to the oil bath type?
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-05-2004, 8:12 PM Reply   
I'm a mechanic at UPS. I while back they changed all their equipment over to oil bath. We are one of the few companies to use oil instead of grease. I don't know their reasons for changing, but they don't do anything on that big of a scale without a lot of research.

I can tell you that I've thought about it my self, I'm torn, but I decided against it.

We all know that repacking your greasy bearings is a messy pain in the rear, checking a oil bath set-up is as easy as looking through the site glass and maybe adding some oil. As far as maintanance goes oil is easier.

Here is the problem.
When you blow a wheel seal with grease, water gets in, grease gets out, you have a mess, but you make it home. No matter how much water leaks in, you still have grease in there to lube your bearings. (If you don't catch it in a resonable amount of time you can still sieze grease filled hubs.)
When you blow an oil bath wheel seal your screwed. Before you know it's blown, your hub is filled with water, the oil runs out, your bearings sieze up and your sitting on the side of the road wondering why you wasted a weekend changing over to oil bath.

Just my opinion, Joe
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-05-2004, 9:31 PM Reply   
I'd have switched over this year but realized that the Turbo Lube does not come in a disk brake version. Yet. When they do, I'll switch.

Betcha five strands of beads that the Turbo Lube hub runs WAAAAAAAYYYY cooler than the greased one.
Old    leggester            07-06-2004, 2:45 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. The input is appreciated.

I guess I'll stick with the 'old skool' greased hubs. I may only have the boat another 2-3 years anyway.

That'll also give me a couple more years to see how the bath style hold up. I love the idea, but hate to take the chance on unproven marine systems. It's my understanding they have a great track record on Semi trailers. Even a great safety rating.

Thanks again...
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-14-2004, 10:43 AM Reply   
go to liquilube.com.....have had them on my old 1998 trailer since new. very pleased. new 04 Centurion with boatmate trailer came standard with oil hubs. never will go back to grease again.