Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 19, 2004

Old    blindsiderider            02-23-2004, 9:55 AM Reply   
I will be flying from Cali to Florida in april for wakeboard camp and I need to take my board and bindings. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to travel with my board on an airplane?
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-23-2004, 10:02 AM Reply   
Best thing is a wakeboard bag. Put some pipe insulation around the edges of the board, throw it in the bag, thats all really, you can wrap your towel aound it to.
Old     (propkiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-23-2004, 10:09 AM Reply   
Don't tell the airline its a wakeboard. They tried to charge my buddy more because it's a "board". Tell them it's waterskis.
Old    blindsiderider            02-23-2004, 10:09 AM Reply   
Do I leave the bindings on it or put them in a box by themselves
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-23-2004, 10:12 AM Reply   
Oh yes, Mark good point, don't tell them its a board.
I just leave the bindings on.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-23-2004, 10:22 AM Reply   
I lined the edge of the board with my rash gaurd, life jacket, and wetsuit. Good thing. I watched as the baggage handlers dropped the board bag on edge, directly to the blacktop. Bastards. It was undamaged though. I did curbside baggage check, they never asked what was inside.
Old    veganx            02-23-2004, 10:48 AM Reply   
Be sure to pad the tip and tail really well, as they are the weakest points on your board, and the most likely to take abuse (luggage shoots).
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-23-2004, 1:35 PM Reply   
I can't remember exactly, but I think I've heard that you should say it's a surfboard or a snowboard - there's one that the airline treats as a standard piece of luggage, and the other one they charge a fee for. Just call the airline and ask if there's a charge for a snowboard, surfboard, or skis.

Old     (cryptic22)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-23-2004, 1:58 PM Reply   
I just got back from FL and my board didn't survive the trip home. I had it in a padded bag that had been used for flying boards before without problems. The tail of the board had a huge gouge in it and the toe side edge was cracked. Looked like someone had taken a hammer to it.

I had a life jacket and towels wrapped around it. Only thing I can figure out is that maybe those just happened to be spots where the jacket and towels weren’t as thick.

When they ask you what it is, just tell them it’s a snowboard. They know exactly what those are and don’t charge more for them.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-23-2004, 1:59 PM Reply   
Tell them it's therapeutic equipment.
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-23-2004, 3:29 PM Reply   
Don't say its a surf board. I think they all charge extra for that. Check the airlines baggage policy and call it whatever according to that.

The pipe insulation is a great idea...and I used my board bag as my main luggage and packed all my clothes around the board for as much padding as I can get. Leave the bindings on as they provide shock absorbtion from at least one side.
Old    izzy_driver            02-23-2004, 3:58 PM Reply   
Hi Tony,

I just got back from Asia and I brought my board with me. The way I did it is I got a padded bag and wrapped my board around with pipe insulation that you can get at a Home Depot or any hardware store. I took the bindings off the board and wrapped it with bubble wrap and placed it in the bag. I also made sure that all the fins were off the board. If you have a weekender bag --- you should put all your stuff around the board for cushioning (eg. vest, towels, shorts, etc). That's pretty much it and my board was in good condition the whole way to and from the trip. Airlines will charge you extra for your wakeboard. I flew Northwest Airlines and they were charging me $85 so you should call the airline to find out what their charging. Some airlines will let it go if your bag and board is within their baggage restrictions. The maximum size of each checked bag for most airlines is 62 inches/157 cm (length + width + height), and cannot exceed 50lbs. Well, I think I've given you enough information. Good luck and have fun in Florida.
Old    caval            02-24-2004, 9:06 AM Reply   
How about FedEx? It's alot cheaper, and probably less likely to get damaged.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-24-2004, 9:49 AM Reply   
I would think it's more likely to be damaged.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-24-2004, 10:23 AM Reply   
If you ship your board be sure to insure it for full replacement value. I'm not sure about Fed-Ex but UPS automaticaly insures all packages for up to $100 but you can add more insurance for a few bucks more.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       02-24-2004, 12:39 PM Reply   
Say it's trick skis. Definitely don't call it a surfboard, they will charge you $50 to $85 for one to be sent. I have never heard them charge for skis. "business people sometimes travel with them" You could look for a padded golf travel bag, I think it will fit a wakeboard and other stuff, plus they won't charge for golf clubs. Again catering to the business traveler. I put my bass guitar in a golf travel bag one time and it worked perfect.
Old    jetgofish            02-24-2004, 12:49 PM Reply   
I recently came home from Colorado with an oversized snowboard bag, two boards plus all my gear. Best bet is to tell the airline that it's a snowboard, they won't know the difference.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-24-2004, 12:50 PM Reply   
Our team paid $90 to ship skis this year to Nationals, so I wouldn't tell them it was skis.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       02-24-2004, 12:53 PM Reply   
Snow skis. Or like Terry mentioned Snowboard. It seems Water = $$$$....Snow = free. As least most of the time. I guess they figure business people don't want to get their hair wet. LOL
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-26-2004, 8:59 AM Reply   
we have traveled alot with our boards, just say it is water skis, whatever you do, DON't use the word BOARD!! HTH
Hey Luke, what airline were you flying?
Old     (cryptic22)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-26-2004, 11:04 AM Reply   
United. I was pretty impressed with the way they handled it. Took them a week but they paid me full replacment value.