Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 22, 2006

Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       05-15-2006, 9:26 AM Reply   
Okay, so for some reason when i ride alot, I get this pain in my front leg, it runs along the outside of my leg about middle way down bettween my knee and ankle. It feels like its in bettween my calf muscle and shin bone. I almost think that I may have my binding turned on way or the other too much. ( they arent turned much at all though) I really start felling the pain after I ride a session where I ride switch alot? It gets to the point where I cant hardly ride by the end of the day... Please someone gimme some advice.. Thanks
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-15-2006, 9:50 AM Reply   
I'm no doctor but it sounds like shin splints. Go run for an hour straight and see if you get the same pain. If switch riding makes this worse, try reducing the amount of switch riding you do for a while until your shins build up enough strength to handle it. At any rate, continually aggrivating your shin splints puts you at greater risk for chronic shin problems.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-15-2006, 10:00 AM Reply   
i would try adjusting your stance....now whether it should be more duck or less duck is simply trial and error....i had that problem and i just "unducked" my stance a little....i have also had people who did the opposite to alleviate this problem. seems it is when your stance is not natural so your foot is being held at an angle that it isn't normally at. Not sure if this helps your problem or not because i am not a doctor and it could be a whole other problem. Worth a try though.
-N8
Old     (jon_m)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-15-2006, 11:39 AM Reply   
i was getting that earlier this season. i just increased the angle on my front foot from 8 to sixteen (on LF bindings). i.e went from something like this - | to this - \. basically, pay attention to how you stand when you're waiting in line or something, and try to emulate that with your wakeboard stance. for me it's not natural to have both of my feet perpendicular to the boat when my head is looking straight over the nose of the board. but that's just me...
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-15-2006, 12:07 PM Reply   
I get some feeling in that same area also. Mine is more of a muscle fatigue feeling than anything. No sharp pain. If I ride a long set it will start to bother me a little.
Old     (dan_forrest)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-15-2006, 12:09 PM Reply   
I had the same problem until, like others have said, I changed my stance. Once I did that, no problems.
Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       05-16-2006, 4:23 AM Reply   
I tied un ducking them to more of a l but still hurt so I may have to go the other way with it.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-16-2006, 4:38 AM Reply   
yeah I had that problem, then my fib split.
as said before it could be your stance but it also can be a stress fracture. No big deal if it is, just some time off the leg. If it feels bad I'd get it checked before something worse happens like it did with me.
it can also be bruising of the periost, there's some simple injections for that.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-16-2006, 4:58 AM Reply   
sounds like shin splints to me. How old are you? May be just pains from growing. Us taller folks get those.
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-16-2006, 5:39 AM Reply   
I get bad shin splints and by the way you described it, that is what it sounds like to me. I get them after soccer and hockeyif I dont stretch for 15 minutes prior. A good stretch for your shins before acitivities is to sit down on the ground with your legs folded under you with your toes pointing behind you, then lean back. You will feel your shins stretch out and that should help you aliviate some of the pain after riding. I find the more you stretch, the less it hurts later.
Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       05-16-2006, 5:59 AM Reply   
I have had shin splints before though, I am thinking that this is not what these are, because they dont feel as if they are comming from my shins, as much as on the outside side of my leg.
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-16-2006, 6:24 AM Reply   
i think i have the same thing, it seems to come from my ankle and run up between my calf muscle and bone. not in the front but in the back.

it is real tight when i stretch and even jumping on the trampoline irritates it to were it is hard to walk for about 15mins afterwards
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-16-2006, 8:14 AM Reply   
I would adjust your stance first. Then I would try one of those compression sleeves for your lower leg. They work wonders.