Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-19-2011, 11:10 PM Reply   
Alright so here's my situation. I sat out the entire 2011 season because I broke my fibula and dislocated my ankle back in april. Had surgery and now have eight screws and a rod in my leg but I'm already getting the itch for 2012. I'm trying to decide on a good board to get me back in the swing of things. Last year I rode the Lyman and loved it. It was very consistent board which I have come to realize is super important to me. I also loved how loose it was on the water, it was perfect. Since the Lyman was discontinued I have to decide on a new board. I know the 2012 boards are just coming out, but I'm not gonna shell out the dough for a new board. Right now I'm leaning towards the '11 Watson Hybrid and the Harley. Any recomendations on which one I should lean towards?
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-19-2011, 11:14 PM Reply   
The Watson Hybrid might be softer on your repaired leg because it has some flex to it. The Harley is really stiff. It's an awesome board with really nice pop, speed, and looseness, but it does seem to land a little hard.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-19-2011, 11:32 PM Reply   
don't overlook new boots... unless of course your boots are still in good shape and you love them.

i have not rode any of the boards in question, but personally i am biased to boards with more flex, so id say the hybrid.

i know your not to keen on buying NEW, but if you loved the Lyman so much you might even be interested in the Slingshot Lyman coming out for 2012
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-19-2011, 11:55 PM Reply   
yeah I'm definitely gonna get a new pair of boots as well... again leaning towards the '11 watson boots or harley boots. The new slingshot lyman seems pretty legit, but just not sure how I would like a slingshot. Never been behind one. Again, call me cheap but I just have never been able to get myself to spend $1,000 on a wakeboard setup.

Oh and btw, I do 100% of my riding behind the boat.

Good point on the flex being a bit easier on my leg...
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-20-2011, 6:08 AM Reply   
I came from a Lyman, and switched to the Harley. They are pretty similar boards...I love 'em both.
Old     (skidaddy)      Join Date: May 2008       09-20-2011, 8:51 AM Reply   
Brycejay: I had the same break and surgery a few years ago. The good news is what got the flexion back in my leg was wakeboarding - edging toeside and landing is great therapy for that. Good luck with your recovery. I feel for you & have been there - broke mine playing hockey 2 weeks after my lake house was finished.
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-20-2011, 11:02 AM Reply   
Steve, it's good to know somebody has been where I am and has been able to get back into it. My ankle is definitely more stiff so hopefully I can loosen it up eventually.