Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old    waterwaysinc            07-26-2006, 6:31 PM Reply   
Anyone own a Tige'? Just curious what you think? And no, "you should by this, you should by that", please. If your mommy or daddy bought a boat for you, do me a favor and don't reply to this. I am looking for a boat to pull in competitions and want to know some serious input about them.
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-26-2006, 6:51 PM Reply   
WOW, I don't know about what you are competing in, but I have owned 2 Tige's and have had great luck so far. To be fair, I have neither owned nor ridden much in any other 'quality' boat, so my opinion is without much basis for comparison.

I had a '98 Tige pre2002, loved it, very little problems, very sharp looking, great power, handled very well. Owned for 8 years, sold this spring.
Upload

I just bough a '05 (new) 22i, that I absolutely LOVE. Great boat, good power, nice wake (I am a bad rider) OK quality, great looking. What else can I say?? I would love to be the "Tige's are the best ever" guy, but really, I think any boat you buy for $50k will be great. Not sure this helps, but I tried!!
Upload

Sean
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-26-2006, 6:55 PM Reply   
"If your mommy or daddy bought a boat for you, do me a favor and don't reply to this."

What does that have to do with anything?? Hate to burst ur bubble, but there is a TON of teenagers who tear it up, and kno a ton about boats. But since there privelaged enough to have there parents buy them a boat, you dont want their input.
Old     (tjdunn)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-26-2006, 6:56 PM Reply   
I have a 2006 22ve and I love the boat. It is my first wakeboard boat so I can't and would not compare it to anything else. It is extremely roomy and comfortable with a ton of storage. It has tons of power handles very well and with ten people in the boat still did not feel cramped. I am always getting compliments about the look it has. I have been extremely happy with my decision and look forward to many good years with it. I have been getting heavy into surfing with it and I ride goofy and it has a really nice goofy wake also which it sounds like some do not. Good luck!
Old     (boomerang)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-26-2006, 7:09 PM Reply   
22v / 340 HP here love it.

If you are going to pull competitions, I would suggest a ballast system.

The convex hull and Taps II is all that most will need, but if there will be advanced riders then the ballast system is a option you might need.

The Tige is so heavy and once you adjust the Taps II the wake is huge, to much for most of the younger riders, but some of the pros want more.

In our competitions we have a Malibu, Mastercraft, Supra and a Centurion. They all work great for the younger riders but the seasoned riders complain about the wake on the Supra and Centurion.

Hope this helps,
Danny
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-26-2006, 7:30 PM Reply   
We have a 24ve, great boat but if you are pulling comps you will need ballast. We run a 2000lb. auto rival system. I also rode behind a 22v multiple times with about 2400lbs. of ballast and the wake was sick.

I don't know if you saw this vid of Logan doing a raley over another boat, but the boat he is riding behind is a 2005 Tige 22v with 2400lbs. and about 6 people in it. That should give you a good idea of the wake.

http://www.wakepics.com/media.php?quickstr=ever+jump+a+boat&type=Any&trick =Any&limit=10&time=1153967312&search=search&submit =Search%21
Old     (waketac)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-26-2006, 11:41 PM Reply   
We've got a 2001 Tige 21v RE with over 1.400 hours on it. Got about 1500 lbs waterballast under the floor. Throws out a great wake, handels rough water very easily. Downside: Vinyl is cheap and by now ripped anywhere. Until now the only real downside.
Old    live2wakeboard            07-27-2006, 12:08 AM Reply   
Eric I agree! Im a teenager and the owners of the place where my PARENTS bought my boat tell me that i kno my boats extermly well and im getting ready to start working there but w/e! And I own a MALIBU VLX by the way and its great!!
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-27-2006, 4:54 AM Reply   
One thing I have learned in my many years is that it is always better to get everyones opinion, then sort through what you are looking for. Honestly, I think that even though I have owned 2 Tige's and a Starcraft 17 I/0, I have very little basis for comparison. I love my boat, but it could be that every other boat out there is way better, how would I know?

When you own your own boat, you tend to only drive/ride behind that boat, right? Whereas if you are bumming rides from friends and such, you would likely have a better idea of what boat feels good, handles good, etc.

Never limit your information, sort it.

I will say that I love the TAPS on my boat, it does give a huge wake, bigger than I am able of using, but also it is great to be able to trim the boat up when you are just driving to account for chop or excess weight in the boat.

Good Luck, don't be a hater!! I wish like hell my parents were rich and bought me a boat 25 years ago!!

Sean
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-27-2006, 5:07 AM Reply   
try tigeowners.com. Bunches of satisfied owners there. Pick out a good one and share it with everyone you love.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-27-2006, 6:20 AM Reply   
I've owned and ridden behind a good deal of boats, and you will be real happy with the Tige. I would go with the ballast option as well, if you using for Comps. The standard, unballast wake can be huge and very fun to ride on for many seasons. The wake surf is simply F A T and fun as can be. I have a 21V RE.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-27-2006, 6:48 AM Reply   
Brian: I recently acquired a 2004 Switch V (pretty much the 20V hull with less plush interior), and couldn't be any happier. The wake is great stock, and I can easily ride 75' without ballast. However, when ballast is full, and a sac in the nose, the wake is very solid and nice and peaky. Throws me around for the stuff that I am doing just fine (w2w 3, 5, and working on some inverts!)

Surf wake is out of this world for how short the boat is. Seriously, it can get ridiculous with some weight!

I'll get some pics later.
Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-27-2006, 6:56 AM Reply   
You can get a better boat for the same money just a year older. What kind of competitions are you doing? That is something needed in making a decision for the type of boat.
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-27-2006, 9:23 AM Reply   
I've got an '06 22v, and love it. Make sure and get a ballast system, not the OEM. WWW.Rivalindustries.com has been my choice in the past 2 boats I've owned. Wakeskate, novice, etc, I've noticed that they don't usually run ballast. They just add people to the boat. Advanced, Outlaw, etc they sac it out and add min 6+ people to the boat.

The boat is the most solid one I've ever been in, including the tower. I think people will have opinions about which wake is the best, but I think it's great, and the surf wake is even better.
Old     (green_johnson)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-27-2006, 9:32 AM Reply   
hey brian cree, im a teenager so i guess i wont post my worthless opinion because I just happen to have a dad with some money.
hes a pic of the wake on my 20v though.
wake
Old     (green_johnson)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-27-2006, 9:35 AM Reply   
oops
wake
Old     (ssrgeoff)      Join Date: May 2004       07-27-2006, 9:33 PM Reply   
KJ...that video is nuts...
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-27-2006, 11:01 PM Reply   
My daddy bought my boat. When the aluminum heads corroded due to the brackish water in our bayou, I rebuilt the engine. But I shouldn't be responding because I am a dumb kid. So I won't give the input on the tiges I have been behind.
Old     (pilot_ryder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-28-2006, 9:09 AM Reply   
well up here they run a 22ve for competitions and it does awesome, weighted the better guys can do andything and for the little kids its good.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-28-2006, 9:56 AM Reply   
I guess he wouldn't want the opinion of most of the pros out there. Most of them are just rich kids whos parents bought them a boat and they started boarding.
Old     (jaubrey)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-28-2006, 11:18 AM Reply   
i love to hear stupid comments like that Brian. I think its funny. Lets not ask the parks, or any of the other pros because i think their "daddy" might have bought them a boat or two.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       07-28-2006, 11:24 AM Reply   

quote:

Anyone own a Tige'? Just curious what you think?

I don't own a Tige. I've been in, driven, and ridden behind them, and practically every other boat made, but since I don't own one, my opinion can't possibly matter. Good luck!

-Steve
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-28-2006, 12:16 PM Reply   
Brutal. How about we change the title of this thread to "How to introduce your self as a jerk with your second ever post"

Sean
Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-28-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
This post may come off as a little controversial, but I figure I'll post and let people know how good a properly-weighted Tige' can be. So....

I honestly feel my boat has the best wake I've ever ridden behind. I've ridden behine VLX's, Super Airs, older X-Stars, Supras, and everyting in between. The only boat I haven't ridden in is the new X-star and I have heard the wake is unbeatable.

I have a 2003 Tige 22V with a five bag ballast system and almost 2500 pounds including the lead. Two 550s in the rear, a 550 in under the bow floor, two 350s in under the front bow seats and lead. The reason I like it...it's the perfect shape - steep, but with a nice transition. I think the VLX with a ton of weight is amazing as well, but it's not quite a steep. I suppose everyone has their prefernce, but this is mine. I hope that helps.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-28-2006, 1:51 PM Reply   
I can attest to Porter's wake. I never expected a Tige to have a wake that felt like you were shot out of a cannon! The wake behind his boat is definitely something to be respected.

Porter,

You ought to come out and try my new boats wake. Watching peoples faces when they hit the wake has been amusing to say the least.
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-28-2006, 1:56 PM Reply   
I suppose I need to see what real riders are used to, because with my boat, a 2005 22i, and around 10 people with gear, and TAPS set to 8, the wake is huge. Huge compared to what? I don't know, except that there is no way I could hit that with any speed and not die. OK, so I am a crappy rider, but seriously, the wake is impressive, and I have no ballast except my buddies and their 500 cans of beer in the coolers.

When I pull my daughters with a bunch of people, I have to set the TAPS to 1 (slalom) and load the bow, just so my youngest doesn't feel like she is riding down a cliff getting outside the wake. I pull her at around 16 mph, which is pretty slow, but any faster and she freaks, so I can not increase speed to get a smaller wake.

I will take a pic of the wake this weekend and post, hope that helps.

Sean
Old    bocephus            07-28-2006, 2:10 PM Reply   
Well, I will give my two cents worth, but we all know I’m an a#@hole. I know where Brian is coming from and feel that he is getting beat up for nothing but a lack of communicating properly. When I was shopping for my boat I got a lot of opinions, and I mean a lot! I basically took the boat trader out and called everyone that had a boat from about five different manufacturers. I first told them I didn’t want their boat and then asked them what problems they had and how the dealer was. This gave me a good idea of what to expect from the dealer and the boat manufacturer. On many forums including this one I got a lot of opinions from people who had never bought a boat, never made monthly payments, never done regular service, and never dealt with a warranty issue. Basically it went down like this: everyone who owned a boat, been on a boat or had a buddy that owned a boat piped in that the boat they had or ridden was the greatest ever. What they didn't tell me is what to expect from the manufacturer or dealer, which is what turned out to be the most important to me. Every popular boat out there is capable of putting out a good wake, which is how they became popular.

You do get a different perspective from someone who works their butt off and makes sacrifices to own a boat than from the guy who has a buddy that has a boat or from the guy whose dad lets him use his. Most of the latter group never really knows about the trials and tribulations to owning a boat, or the payments.

GIVE THE GUY A BREAK AND STOP ACTING LIKE LITTLE KIDS!
Old     (bensk8in)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-28-2006, 3:24 PM Reply   
Bocephus, wow, that was the best comment you have ever made, I say that because its the first one that has not pissed me off, and its not about the boat, I really hated seeing your posts before, just wanted to let you know, and www.tigeowners.com is the place to find the best feedback, I am very one sided.
Old    bocephus            07-28-2006, 3:35 PM Reply   
Hey Ben,
Thanks, just keep the first sentance in the above post at heart when you read my posts in the future! I call it like I see it!
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-28-2006, 4:27 PM Reply   
Mike Porter,

I know it is off topic, but how did you get a ballast bag in the floor up front?

A well weighted Tige will produce a very clean and solid wake. The nice thing is that you can adjust that TAPS and it can be steep and solid like a brick wall or adjust the other way and have a nice long rampy wake. Both wakes are very clean at boarding speeds.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-29-2006, 8:37 AM Reply   
Mike Porter,

what talltigeguy said...start another thread on your ballast system please.

I have an 04 22v. We couldn't be happier. Great all around boat and we're very happy so far with our dealership. I, however, did not buy my boat to be a comp tow boat. I had family to consider and the Tige is a winner in my family's and my opinion. Apples and oranges?
Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-31-2006, 3:44 PM Reply   
Cliff,

I didn't know you got a SuperAir. Nice. Let's go riding soon. My buddy Firth has a SuperAir and I love the wake - especially after you get used to the steepness after a few rides. Let's hook up again soon.

TallTigeGuy,
I cut a hole in the floor and put a small 8" round hatch there and then plumbed everything through on top of the fuel tank. It wasn't easy, but it was worth it. I dont' think you can do it on post-2003 boats becuase of the new stringer, but I'm not sure.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-31-2006, 4:10 PM Reply   
Nothing wrong with the wake that is for sure. i've ridden 22i's and 24v's and the wake was epic. The trouble with the 24 that I drove for our tournament was its turning. We had like 1600 of water and 8-9 people and the thing was a bear to turn. had to slow down, initiate the turn and then gas it out. sucked big time.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-01-2006, 1:07 PM Reply   
Tige wakes can be great. I have 2- 350 lb bags on the side of th engine and the "boot" the wake gives you is awesome. I have seen Porter's boat when I lived in Sammamish - the wake is insane- I had no idea he was loaded that heavy- Porter- how long does it take to get that thing on-plane?
Old    thickens            08-01-2006, 2:25 PM Reply   
Fantastic post Bocephus - AMEN Brother!!!
Old     (jleger98)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-05-2006, 8:47 PM Reply   
I just bought a 97 PRE 2150WT. I love it. Put a monster tower on it. With no ballast, the wake really gives you a lot of pop. With 5-6 people, you can dial the taps back and get a more rampier wake. Surfing is pretty good, I'm a novice at it, but the wake at 9mph is almost waste-high.