Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old    dmonnny123            05-03-2005, 5:10 PM Reply   
Hey, I'm a 23 year old male, weigh 170, size 11 shoe, and am 6'1". I recently purchased the HYPERLITE TEMET 138.1
After purchasing this board I have recently noticed the TEMET 142. I like the graphics on this board a lot lot better and I want to know will the change in size be noticable to me at all.. Am i setting myself up for failure? I have gotten a lot of mixed signals... please let me know. i have already orderded online the 138.1 but i really like the graphics on the 142. Please help me.. Which one should I use? I am beginner / intermediate wakeboarder.. Please help. THANKS!
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-03-2005, 6:06 PM Reply   
At 6'1", (I am too) I would go with the 142. I doubt you'll even notice a difference. It might be slightly slower, but the landings will be softer and more surface area means more pop and that's a good thing!
Old    drewsky24            05-03-2005, 6:48 PM Reply   
If anything the bigger board would be faster and ride more smoothly over rough water.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-03-2005, 7:00 PM Reply   
More surface area = more drag = slower board.
Old    dmonnny123            05-03-2005, 8:35 PM Reply   
i live and wakeboard on a lake.. a pretty big one.. so its generally choppy most of the time.. but there are times when i go on a calm "like glass" lake.. so i dont know what to do... I really like the graphics on the 142.. but have been told i should keep the 138 cuz it fits my weight class and will perform better for me cuz its smaller and not as heavy and clunkier.. i just want a nice board that will perfrom nicley for me.. i like to ride for long periods and jump the wake and try to jump higher sometimes.. like i said im new to then sport... so i dunno.. still in a dilemma? please help..! thanks Dan
Old    dmonnny123            05-03-2005, 8:46 PM Reply   
ALSO.. I have been told to NOT choose a board over the looks of the graphics by any means or ill lose in the long run.. So.. I'm not sure.. am i just being stupid should i just keep the 138.1 that fits my weight (170) or should i go for the 142 (better graphics)but a larger board.. i just dont want to regret my final purchase.. thats all.. i need to weigh out the pos / neg of each one.. thanks.... let me know the pos / negs?
Old     (msasser)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-03-2005, 9:08 PM Reply   
i am 6 ft, 150, i ride a 136, i think the board knows your weight, not your hight, well, when i was buying my first board, i chose the LF litmus, i chose it because of the graphics over another board that would have been a bit better for me, but it was super ugly, turns out i love my board, and really glad i didnt get the other one, well, in snowboarding, bigger board means less spinning, more speed, and more stability, i think more stability and less spinning hold true to wakeboarding, so if your planning on spinning, keep the shorter one, its easier to through around and stuff, but if the graphics are reaaaaaaly apealing to you 4 cm wont change your life... i dont think.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-03-2005, 9:19 PM Reply   
Sparky - theoretically speaking of course. I beg to differ.
Old    dmonnny123            05-03-2005, 10:37 PM Reply   
keep em coming.. i need all the opinions i can get.. I dont really know how many spins and flips ill be doin just yet.. prolly not too many.. im just learning how to jump the wakes higher and higher and land and not fall.. Which board?
Old     (player)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-04-2005, 12:05 PM Reply   
test a 142 board and see if it fits your style, if it does better than the 138 then buy it.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-04-2005, 12:48 PM Reply   
yo yo yo. till ya get da Parkz board, yo arse is gonna be grounded. da parkz has mad pop yo. werd up.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-04-2005, 1:52 PM Reply   
No theory. Simple physics.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-04-2005, 3:40 PM Reply   
yes theory, and here is mine:

a 138 and 142 when set on the water (no bindings or rider) will displace the same amount of water, since their densities are equal. Factor in rider weight, given that the rider is the same weight on each board. The 138 will be pushed farther into the water, by the force being exerted on in i.e. the rider's weight. The rider won't be able to sink the 142 as much because it has more mass; therefore, the 142, if my theory is correct, will plane on the water easier, making it have less drag, and be faster then the 138. The 142 will also have less pop then the 138 with this theory; although, the landings will seem softer on the 142 because the board won't be pushed as far down in the water upon landing, and the board will not slow down as much as the 138.

What's your theory?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-04-2005, 3:43 PM Reply   
hmmm...for me, a longer version has always been faster than a shorter version of the same board.
Old    dmonnny123            05-04-2005, 3:45 PM Reply   
so what the hell board do i get.. time is tickin here.. i cant try em out.. i ordered online and got a hell of a deal .. i have to refuse shipment on the 138 if i want to switch it for the 142.. i dont know i saw both of them at a store... i think the 138 seems a lil small and "wimpy" but the 142.3 seems alil too big maybe.. i hate this..... dammot i want to go boarding
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-04-2005, 3:48 PM Reply   
Joe concurs with my theory.

dude it's 4 centimeters, that's like less than 2 inches. You'll probably not even notice. I've always thought it was better to go big, than small, with boards.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-04-2005, 3:55 PM Reply   
dan, if you think the 138 looks "wimpy" by all means, get the "studly" looking board.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-04-2005, 4:18 PM Reply   
U gotta get a Blindside if u wanna be REALLY "studly".
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-04-2005, 4:19 PM Reply   
Toolfan right on!

Dan V

Once you get a parks the 1st time your on it you will do a tantrum! lol MAD MAD POP lol toolfan!

I say keep the 138 yo

Old    dmonnny123            05-04-2005, 5:21 PM Reply   
hmmmmmmmmmmm
Old    wickedwake            05-04-2005, 6:18 PM Reply   
I would have gone with the 142 originally for sure, but the $$$ you would lose now would not be worth the gain IMO. But I dont have $$$ hanging out my bung like some people.

Im 5'10 175 and ride a 142 and wouldnt have it any other way.
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-04-2005, 6:26 PM Reply   
How about you go to you're local shop and ask them its kinda what they do for a living, hey maybe they have a demo program so you can try the two sizes and feel for you're self before you buy. Oh wait you cant do any of that you bought it online, well keep buying online and then no one can go down to there local shop at least then we will all be in the same boat, so to speak
Old    drewsky24            05-04-2005, 6:33 PM Reply   
Now that i got a 142 instead of a 138 i regret it. But its a Parks so it dosnt make much difference to me(Mad Pop). So bottom line is that you should try and stick to a board thats made for your weight unless you absolutly love the bigger board.
Old    dmonnny123            05-04-2005, 8:11 PM Reply   
andrew.. what exactly is it that you dont like bout the bigger board... i just think cuz im new itll be more comfy for me and give me alil more stabilty.. ya know? but a lot of people are tellin me just stick with the 138.1 lemme know..
thanks