Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       06-15-2009, 9:50 PM Reply   
so i hate blue cheese, so when we went to the lake last weekend my brothers though it would be funny to bring a big block of it on the boat, and eat it in front of me to gross me out. so they did, and i didn't really care.

when we were packing up to leave i asked them where they put it, and they said it was in there car, so we left and put the boat away, but when i went to clean out the cooler today, there was a pool of water 4 inches deep, with the block of cheese in it. it has been festering for over a week in the warm cooler. this is the cooler that is in the floor of the boat.

the smell of it was the worst thing i've ever smelled. i almost threw up several times while cleaning it up. and now that its all cleaned up, the smell is still there, i've sprayed the cooler with Windex, Kaboom, Vinegar, and Babe's boat bright. the smell won't come out!!!

PLEASE, PLEASE, help me!!!!! what do i clean it with?????
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-15-2009, 9:58 PM Reply   
your brothers tooth brushes
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       06-15-2009, 10:01 PM Reply   
hahahahahah i should, but they apologized, it was a honest mistake.

just what do i do?
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-15-2009, 10:36 PM Reply   
Bleach? The fridge in my motorhome was left closed with leftover food over winter(don't ask, last time we took it out was to a concert and I think i drank to much) but i ended up having to borrow a respirator from a friend and clean it with bleach. Cleaned it twice with a mild bleach solution then left a open packet of baking soda in it to get rid of the smell. Also after you clean it make sure its propped open to allow it to dry out and breath! Good luck!

(Message edited by 2006maliblue on June 15, 2009)
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       06-15-2009, 10:37 PM Reply   
alright i'll give it a try.

this sucks
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-16-2009, 8:26 AM Reply   
Doesn't the cooler drain into the bilge? Does the entire bilge stink?

Honest mistake? Or sick joke? I'd have him out there cleaning up his mess. Or paying someone else to do it.
Old     (boynepat)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-16-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
last season a mink was living in our boat, when we finally got rid of it the boat really stgarted ti smell. a few weeks later we found a half eaten dead duck. The smell was gross and we tried everything to get rid of it. Its been a year and it still smells a little funny. Hopefully some of those ideas work for you because it didnt do much for my boat
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-16-2009, 9:10 AM Reply   
the oil that comes out of dead animals is near impossible to get rid off. CAll one of thsoe places that celan up crime scenes...see what they use.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-16-2009, 9:22 AM Reply   
Biological messes are a nightmare to clean. I'm reminded of the episode of mythbusters were they put the dead pigs in a corvette for a few months then tried to get the smell out! I'm sure with a good strong cleaning and allowing everything to air out and dry you'll be able to get this smell out! Might take a few trys but 1 week of festering smell is alot better the 4 months of rotten food in a sealed turned off fridge and I managed to get the smell out. I just remember first couple times i opened it after i cleaned it i would open it and run in fear that smell would return! lol

Also remember most of the time crime scenes are cleaned while everything is still relatively fresh! I've seen crime scenes that were older and they would remove carpeting and drywall and toss them. Somethings are not possible to remove smells from. Luckily coolers are either plastic or fiberglass so there not real porous like wood!
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-16-2009, 10:10 AM Reply   
"Call one of thsoe places that celan up crime scenes...see what they use."

This is also a good way to get a visit from the PD or get your name on a suspect list.
Old     (wackbag)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-16-2009, 10:12 AM Reply   
This reminds me of a job I used to have. Constant pranks between between 2 depts. One of the guys put trailer grease on all our trucks windshield wipers on a rainy day. The boss used to let his dog roam on the job site. So to get back at them we shoveled some poo and put it in a lunch sack under the rear seat of the culprits truck. Rolled the windows up on a 100 degree day. We video'd when they got in the truck it was so funny. It just got worse from there.
Old     (wackbag)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-16-2009, 10:14 AM Reply   
I might add that I don't condone this type of behavior when it comes to Boats!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-16-2009, 10:22 AM Reply   
Sadly the plastic absorbs the smell and cleaning it does not get rid of the absorbed smell. Put some baking soda in it and leave it in the basement for a year after you clean it. Don't use any non food grade cleaners.
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       06-16-2009, 10:23 AM Reply   
yeah they actually though they put it in there car. i'm not mad, i just want it clean.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-16-2009, 5:01 PM Reply   
Vanilla essence and hot water might work for the smell.

My flatmate left some fishing bait in his cooler for about 2 weeks, that was rank.... He filled it with bleach and water, got rid of the smell after sitting for a few days. So soaking it in bleach might work too.

(Message edited by jtnz on June 16, 2009)
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-16-2009, 5:38 PM Reply   
try baking soda, poor a bunch of the power in there and rub it around. make sure there is a pile of dry powder in there to. leave it ffor a few days, should get rid of it
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-16-2009, 5:51 PM Reply   
try fire. works every time
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-17-2009, 6:46 AM Reply   
Make him buy another cooler give him the old one.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-17-2009, 7:12 AM Reply   
^ bingo
Old     (az_shredder)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-17-2009, 7:14 AM Reply   
After you clean it over and over using the various methods pointed out...if it still smells try plugging the drain, stuffing it with crumpled up newspaper (as much as you can fit in it), and tape a plastic drop cloth over the top of the cooler, then let it sit for about a week like that. The newspaper will absorb the odor.

This is the same way you get the smoke smell out of furniture if it has been in a house where people smoked often. It's the only thing I've ever seen work on something like that.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-17-2009, 7:27 AM Reply   
Reminds me of the Seinfeld where Jerry's car smells and it messes with everyone's life.
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-17-2009, 7:49 AM Reply   
was it Stilton?
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-17-2009, 8:38 AM Reply   
take some bbq charcoal and leave it in there for awhile (week), then do it again, it will help. And they should be paying dearly.....
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       06-17-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
i'll try the newspaper and charcoal.

thanks guys.

i'm thinking up a way to get back at them ahahah.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-17-2009, 10:35 AM Reply   
Nick, great episode. "the stench has taken on an entity of it's own!"
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-17-2009, 10:44 AM Reply   
solution to the problem, NEVER let anyone bring something like cheese on the boat. I would never have allowed it personally, but seeing as we are past that point...

Try scrubbing the inside of the cooler with Castrol SuperClean. It's a hell of a product, just wear gloves.
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       06-17-2009, 11:17 AM Reply   
i didn't allow it, he took it out of a bag when we were already out. i was pretty pissed anyway, i hate the stuff.

hahahahaha no food allowed in the cooler anymore.
Old     (wakedv)      Join Date: May 2007       06-17-2009, 1:48 PM Reply   
Coffee also works well at getting out nasty odors! Good Luck
Old     (drilldaddy78)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-17-2009, 1:56 PM Reply   
Try a dead duck. It will mask the cheese odor
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-17-2009, 1:57 PM Reply   
rofl

everytime i see the subject line of this thread, i smile.
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       06-17-2009, 4:19 PM Reply   
bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahhahhahhhahahahhahahha
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-17-2009, 5:23 PM Reply   
I would clean it with my brothers blood if he did some dumb chit like that.
Old     (gawabr190)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-17-2009, 7:40 PM Reply   
If it wont come out, you can rent an ozone generator. It is what some commercial clean-up folks (floods, body removal, etc) use to get rid of really bad odors.

It is a machine that uses ozone to oxidize away odors. You would probably only need a small generator for a boat. You would leave it running in a confined space for enough time to eliminate the odor.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-17-2009, 7:54 PM Reply   
Take a dump in your cooler and leave it closed for a week, then open the cooler and take a wizz in it and then leave it closed for another week.

Guaranteed to get rid of the cheese smell.
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-17-2009, 10:36 PM Reply   
Charcoal briquettes are not the same thing as activated charcoal. Activated charcoal can be found anywhere that sells aquarium supplies, it is used in the filters of fish tanks. Some other things to try are hot water and oxyclean, fill the chest and let it soak over night. Baking soda and water make a watery paste and clean inside walls. The last thing that I know of is concentrated lemon juice.
Old     (wackbag)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-18-2009, 7:44 AM Reply   
Nice Jeremy I like how you think....
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-18-2009, 7:54 AM Reply   
*Hijack back to Seinfeld*
"I turn them to lesbianism, Krammer brings um' back"
*End*

Tomato juice stops skunk stink, maybe that?.... or maybe just get a Eastern European guy to sit in there, the cologne they wear has to do something