Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (huh01)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-14-2011, 12:05 PM Reply   
Our tower sat outside alot of the winter while at the dealer and has started to show what appears to be some small rust spots. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to clean this?

Thanks
Old     (txaggie929)      Join Date: May 2011       06-14-2011, 12:13 PM Reply   
WD40 and some #0000 steel wool.....a little rubbing and it should come right off. I take it your tower is bare metal?
Old     (txaggie929)      Join Date: May 2011       06-14-2011, 12:16 PM Reply   
That being said though, I think I'm gonna check pricing on getting my tower powdercoated black to avoid having to worry about rust....and to make it prettier
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-14-2011, 12:21 PM Reply   
paul nailed it - I am guessing you are seeing the issues on the stainless steel hardware? I thought most all towers were aluminum???
Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       06-14-2011, 1:26 PM Reply   
Most towers should be steel with a chrome plating. The rust is most likely from the welds or hardware. WD40 and steel wool is great, just be careful not to rub too hard so as to not dull the chrome plating.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-14-2011, 1:45 PM Reply   
Mine's brushed aluminum with polished billet aluminum shiny parts. No chrome. My monster tower was powder coated aluminum with polished billet joints.
Old     (huh01)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-15-2011, 9:00 AM Reply   
I'm seeing the rust spots all over the tower not just on the hardware. I will carefully try the steel wool and WD40.

Thanks
Old     (Riteride)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-15-2011, 9:09 AM Reply   
If you have the $ get yourself a Stainless Steel tower... If its rusting on the outside I wonder what the inside looks like..
Old     (huh01)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-15-2011, 9:15 AM Reply   
I'm going to assume the tower is steel with Chrome plating... it looks similar to what the chrome on my old truck looked like. That being said, the boat isn't even a year old so I'm less than impressed.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-15-2011, 11:27 AM Reply   
Most of the marine industries wakeboard towers are made of anodized aluminium, operative word being anodized. I'm not sure what manufacturer would build an aluminum tower without using anodized aluminium, it'd be sure to rust otherwise (assuming it's not powder coated).
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       06-15-2011, 11:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudontn View Post
I'm not sure what manufacturer would build an aluminum tower without using anodized aluminium, it'd be sure to rust otherwise (assuming it's not powder coated).
Most of the aftermarket towers I've seen from China aren't anodized. My Aerial isn't but anodizing is optional. It does get spots on it that I have to polish off periodically but no real measurable loss of material.

Some of the Chinese ones that I've seen are anodized but rather poorly with lots of small defects and a "milky" appearance.

I've never seen a mild steel tower with chrome plating. That just seems like a stupid way to make a tower for a marine application.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       06-15-2011, 11:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by huh01 View Post
I'm going to assume the tower is steel with Chrome plating.
You don't have to "assume" if you have access to a magnet. Try to stick it on there. If it sticks it's steel. If it tries to stick but not very well it's SS. If it doesn't stick at all then it's probably aluminum but could be SS.