Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-02-2012, 1:59 PM Reply   
Had a problem with a handle I bought around 6 months ago. Its one with the detachable grip and it just snapped when my dad was getting out of the water with it. Its broken between where the rope attaches on to the plastic and where the screw goes in to change the grip. IT looked to have stretched and then just snapped. I've since mailed my local rep and should be able to get it replaced under warranty.

Has anyone else had this problem or heard of it happening? If its a common problem at all I don't want it replaced with the same handle. I'll gladly go Ronix again though cos my other handle lasted for years.
Old     (ToPHeR35)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-02-2012, 2:46 PM Reply   
I didnt buy a detachable one, but I bought North Prequel and it's easily my favorite handle! Lot of extra padding!
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-03-2012, 2:14 AM Reply   
Yeah man we had the north for years and just replaced it cos it had worn out. Gonna go back to it now until we get a new one.

Had a better look at it today, it looks like because the grip exists with arms going straight, 90 degrees from the grip, and the rope, attached to these arms, is pulling in, the rope pulled the arms in and forced it to snap. This is evident on the other side where the paint is cracking in the same spot.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-05-2012, 6:23 AM Reply   
Got some pics of it today

This Shows the other side where the paint was cracking because the arm was being pulled inwards

Has anyone heard of this before?
Old     (lazypiper)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-05-2012, 8:09 AM Reply   
I had the same thing happen to a Ronix Frank handle. Performance warrantied it with no problem.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-05-2012, 8:23 AM Reply   
I've had two of those Ronix handles break like that before as well. I've found leaving it in the sun doesn't help much either
Old     (Kerry)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-14-2012, 11:36 AM Reply   
Has anybody else had this same problem this summer too? I didn't start using mine until May and it started showing signs not oo long after. Now there is a good chunk out of one side and the other is chipping away. Sure looks to be heading towards snapping.
Attached Images

Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-14-2012, 11:48 AM Reply   
yeah my ronix totem handle is the same way. all the paint has litterally just fallen of the sides. MUCH worse than the ones pictured here. screw fell out the other day too. went to lowes and bought a new 10-24 stainless bolt to put me back on the water. i love this handle and dont want it replaced because the newer ones are smaller diameter.
Old     (Kerry)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-14-2012, 11:54 AM Reply   
Maybe you'd like one of the aftermarket grips? I just don't want a broken handle soon when I paid 90 bucks for one. My brother has the same Radar style ski handle and that shows no cracks or chips at all and it probably gets more use honestly.
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-14-2012, 1:17 PM Reply   
I stopped using my ronix one handle cuz the white "paint" was ending up all over the side of my black boat. If anyone pulled the handle in besides me and let it touch the hull, it left a mark.
Old     (Kerry)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-14-2012, 1:20 PM Reply   
yea same here, I noticed a red mark on the boat from it too. Not a fan at all of this handle really. I like the way it feels while riding but not the best choice thats for sure. I'll be going back to a more basic handle.
Old     (thedoubleupkid)      Join Date: May 2008       08-15-2012, 2:04 PM Reply   
Next-gen handle dropping from Proline very soon! Maybe we can get a pic for you guys tomorrow...