Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-29-2011, 8:55 AM Reply   
I see a lot of people on these threads talking about how great of a deal they found here and there on a used boat and always end it with simply, 'just get it shipped.'

My newbie question is, isn't this a really bad idea? Regardless of how good the photos look, shouldn't you always go to the boat, put it in the water, try things out, etc. before you buy it? Anyone have experience with this?
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-29-2011, 11:42 AM Reply   
I bought mine a couple states away and drove there and back to get it. Unless you're filthy rich and can afford to gamble, you need to go see the boat. If you're going to see the boat, you might as well take your truck so you can bring it home with you if you like it. Shipping vehicles can be very expensive, I can't imagine it ever being cheaper than towing it yourself.

If it's a long drive and you're rich, maybe it makes sense to chance it buying blind and pay a shipping company to bring it to you. But if that's the case, money should be no object so why not buy a new boat? Another option is having a marine surveyor look at the boat for you, but this of course is expensive at a few hundred bucks. They'll probably catch any major issues, but it's still not the same as being there yourself. I know people who have bought cars sight unseen and every one of them has been disappointed and had to put a lot of time and money into making them right. Never met anyone who bought a boat sight unseen, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-29-2011, 11:47 AM Reply   
I bought two boats site unseen with no demo. A 2001 WSVLX and a 2004 WSVLX. No issues at all. Shipped them with reputable shipper, etc. Sold the 2004 sight unseen by the buyer. Call dealer where boat has been serviced and get service records, make sure of no accidents as well. Ask for hard mail pictures also and to be shown the imperfections with the boat. Just a few examples
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-29-2011, 11:54 AM Reply   
You can also ask on forums if someone will go look at the boat for you. I see this on the malibu crew often when someone is buying a 'bu out of state.

At least this way you know if the boat is much worse off than the pictures/description portrayed and you could save yourself an expensive trip.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-29-2011, 12:00 PM Reply   
Never understand why someone woudn't spend $300 to fly there for the day? I flew to Vegas from ohio for a day and not a big deal.

I sold an antique car to a rich guy in Denmark sight unseen. Very odd process but he jumped through every hoop I through at him. He had his own container shipping company and his delivery guy gave me hard cash. I wouldn't do it again, especially if I was the buyer.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-29-2011, 12:02 PM Reply   
Twice I've negotiated on the phone off an owner's description and said something like if the boat is in the condition you say and I bring x-$$$ on Saturday do we have a deal. If the boat is in the condition expected you take it. If not, you drive home empty. It worked both times and I got a great deal with no wasted trips.
Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-29-2011, 2:57 PM Reply   
I sold my last boat out of the country and bought my current boat out of state. If you do a little extra work, and are willing to be a little flexible it can really pay off.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-29-2011, 6:16 PM Reply   
I did the same as Cory. I found a great deal on a 07 Supra 21V with only 80 hours on it. I'm in Va just outside of DC and the boat was in Cincinnati Oh. I made all of the phone calls, looked at all of pictures, and asked all of the questions I could think of. I put a deposit down until I could get up over there to look at it. So I packed up my wife and my truck and we took a 9 hour road trip. We checked everything over and finished the deal. I was dealing with a very reputable dealer though, not an individual. I don't have any complaints with the way I did it. I was so happy with the staff where I bought the boat from, that when it is time for me to trade it in I will try to make another deal with them.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-30-2011, 8:15 AM Reply   
I sold my boat to a dude in australia, took as many pictures as I could, got my local dealer involved to talk to him and answer any questions he had about the motor and anything else. I opened a new bank account that I would keep minimal funds in so he could wire money to my bank without me giving him info I was worried about. Dude was way stoked. Sent me pics of his crew and kid enjoying the new his new toy.
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-30-2011, 8:41 AM Reply   
I live in so-cal and drove out to Texas to get mine. Saved a ton. I didnt have it shipped because I wanted to test everything out and run it to make sure everything was good to go.
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-30-2011, 4:26 PM Reply   
Bought mine 2 states away and after many pics and several pointed discussions I was comforable with what he was selling (helped that the boat only had 48hrs on it, so pretty much it either had been wrecked and fixed, or was like new and hardly used...it was the latter).
I negotiated a sales price based on hm meeting me mid way with the boat. Problem was with his bank, they wanted the money before they released his loan.
I figured since the boat wasn't titled (in NV) and he held the trailer title, I didn't really care if he paid off his loan with my money or not.
Worked out that he had a buddy who was driving from NV through CO and got him to deliver the boat.
SInce I never met the owner in person, we agreed that if the boat wasn't as he described then I'd be glad to let him store it at my house until his buddy came back through and could haul it back. If it was as described, I would call my banker to release funds to his bank and his friend wouldn't leave the boat until he verified funds.
Worked out fine, but a person must have a good feeling and a bit of trust in the seller (and buyer I suppose) for it to be a smooth deal.
Best way, hop in the car and go look at it. Make sure it is a good enough deal to make it worth the trip.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-30-2011, 4:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
Bought mine 2 states away and after many pics and several pointed discussions I was comforable with what he was selling (helped that the boat only had 48hrs on it, so pretty much it either had been wrecked and fixed, or was like new and hardly used...it was the latter).
I negotiated a sales price based on hm meeting me mid way with the boat. Problem was with his bank, they wanted the money before they released his loan.
I figured since the boat wasn't titled (in NV) and he held the trailer title, I didn't really care if he paid off his loan with my money or not.
Worked out that he had a buddy who was driving from NV through CO and got him to deliver the boat.
SInce I never met the owner in person, we agreed that if the boat wasn't as he described then I'd be glad to let him store it at my house until his buddy came back through and could haul it back. If it was as described, I would call my banker to release funds to his bank and his friend wouldn't leave the boat until he verified funds.
Worked out fine, but a person must have a good feeling and a bit of trust in the seller (and buyer I suppose) for it to be a smooth deal.
Best way, hop in the car and go look at it. Make sure it is a good enough deal to make it worth the trip.
That's weird that the boat wouldn't be titled in Nevada. Mine is.