Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-23-2010, 4:50 PM Reply   
i am looking for opinions on a new surf style board to airs. i have an enzo so wake is not a problem, i have a bunch of boards. swallow, is oogle for goofing off, a couple other randoms, but am thinking the shred evolution or the fly boy but i am 6'4 235lbs and can only get the swallow out of the water to about 6 inches from the fins. maybe its my weight etc not sure. What do you think. i really want something to pop.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-23-2010, 8:46 PM Reply   
The flyboy won't work for your height and weight, I know Jeff is working on his 4.7 prototype, and maybe a 4.9 after that? A 4.9 would work well is my guess.

Another thought is the TWP JWSM. Its a good board, here is a picture of Chase riding a 4.5 TWP JWSM.

I don't know enough about the elevation, RJ has only ridden it a couple of times. He liked it, but preferred the TWP JWSM, and now the flyboy more. But I think a lot just comes down to preference and style on that one.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-24-2010, 9:18 AM Reply   
How big of a rider will the Flyboy support? I'm 6'1 and 190, am I too big for it?
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-24-2010, 9:32 AM Reply   
Here is the deal, I have seen Dennis Horton ride it. Here is a picture:

He actually rides it quite often. Which is a testament to 2 things, dennis' riding ability, and how fast that board really is. Its a rocket ship in my opinion. But I know dennis prefers riding his bazooka for his size and weight. I believe dennis is 260 lbs and my height, 6'2".

The board is expensive, which means you gotta LOVE it. Flyboy has a good return policy, but that would change if people are just demoing and returning. If it were me, I would try to get a ride on one first, especially if you are over 6 feet. You may contact me off list for more details if you wish.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-24-2010, 9:37 AM Reply   
The 4.9 Walker Project Signiture would probably be your best bet. I dont know if the Shred Stixx Elevation will work for that weight.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-24-2010, 9:52 AM Reply   
For 6'1" and 190, I think the 4.7 would work also.
Old     (Buck02LS)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-24-2010, 12:31 PM Reply   
I'm 5 11" in-between 165 to 175... but i don't have a big wave... or at least not like yours... lol What board should i go with? I'm in Houston and would lov to demo some boards before spending $600 to $800+ for a board that's not going to for for me in the long run... any suggestion?

Thanks
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-24-2010, 12:44 PM Reply   
Since you are in texas, I would probably try to contact the boys at towanza, they may be able to help you with demos in texas. I am very partial to The Walker Project and Flyboy. Every time we have demo events where we offer a lot of boards to try, including inland and other boards, the TWP boards always stand out with riders. Every time. So its not just my families personal opinion, its events like the festival and the polar bear event where we guage what riders like.

The lakewakes 5.2 and 5.4 are also good board, and people that didn't want to spend the extra coin for TWP really liked those boards. But your weight, you can ride a more performance board like the JWSM from either TWP or Flyboy.

If your wake is not so big, maybe a bit longer JWSM like a TWP JWSM 4.7. The nice thing about the JWSM is that other than the fact it is very responsive/squirly, it is a very forgiving board for a performance board. The flyboy will definitely give you more air, and better spins, but maybe at your level, the JWSM would be better. So if you can get demos of both from Todd, that would be awesome, then just pick the one you want. Nothing like a good demo. You will probably want to try the sweet spot from inland also.

If we can get demos done more often in NorCal, and Towanza in Texas, get someone in SoCal, and then more in the east. Then we can all work together to get people in the right boards, and away from the not so hot wakeboard maker boards. I don't care if people buy from wake9, I just want to see more surfers supporting these smaller companies.

Todd, you out there? Demo?
Old     (Buck02LS)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-24-2010, 1:41 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the info!
I will try getting in touch with the guys over at Towanza for some demoing... I think that's the best bet to make sure I get a board that's right for me!
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-24-2010, 5:05 PM Reply   
i figured, i want a board that really releases from the water. i am not lookin to cruise, i like the sweet spot and the is swallow. they support my weight it seams that they just don't release well, i understand the construction etc. i just do not have anyone in this area that has the boards to test. the money is not an issue. i will wait for the 4.9 flyboy. being tall sucks hahaha, thanks for the help
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-24-2010, 5:24 PM Reply   
Shredstixx elevation
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-24-2010, 5:36 PM Reply   
i wonder if my weight will over ride the quality in the release of the board. i can get air on all my boards,but it seems to be minor. the swallow is fast but really lags in the water and doesn't like to let the nose come up, you really have to hit it. the sweet spot is loose and fun, but my weight hinders its ability to get out of the water. i need the best of both worlds
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-24-2010, 5:55 PM Reply   
I bet if you posted some video of your airs, someone like dennis or jeff or others can watch, and give you a better idea.