Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jdoyle25)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-19-2010, 10:42 PM Reply   
What are some good exercises that will get those target muscle use mainly for wakeboarding because im looking to get stronger behind the rope for Cable and Boat. I work out almost twice a day (just use to it from sports) and i stretch before and after every session and i still get sore. i have a lot of trouble with my triceps and back cramping when i ride also. Just asking the general public to see if anyone had any good info on getting wakeboard fit.
Old    benj_t            07-19-2010, 10:47 PM Reply   
work out all of your muscles since you pretty much use all of them when you ride
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-20-2010, 2:15 AM Reply   
wakeboarding is pretty all inclusive. Total body workouts will do the most for you. Pay a lot of attention to you legs. Squats and lunges are important. For upper body I recommend pull ups both underhand and overhand. The goal is muscle endurance not brute strength.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       07-20-2010, 3:25 AM Reply   
Get with a phyiscal trainer. What I have found that helps are single leg squats, tricep workouts. Also if you get an old wrope and tie it to an old milk jug and put some sand in it and swing in around your body in a handle passing motion. Theres a demo on here somewhere to show you .
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-20-2010, 4:02 AM Reply   
A rowing machine works the core back and arms very much in the same manner as riding.

Soreness however comes from trying to save a crash that you should just let go. No workout can help there.
Old     (lakeguy77)      Join Date: May 2002       07-20-2010, 6:27 AM Reply   
For cramping, try downing a banana before jumping in the boat. Sounds simple, but it works. For general soreness, if you're working out that much, make sure you're eating enough. Twice a day everyday is a lot of working out. Add to that a generally healthy lifestyle and you need a ton of fuel to support it.

Aside from that, consider your overall muscle balance. Your main muscles may be strong, but what about support muscles? If you use a lot of machines, try switching to a predominantly free-weight program and make sure you're hitting every muscle group each week. Free weights force the support/stabilizer muscles into action, and when you shore those up, you'll make big strength gains in your main muscles too.

P.S. I'm not a personal trainer, just a former fat guy who dropped 80+ lbs all on his own and now maintains 10% body fat and works hard to keep it that way. And honestly, after a few years of going it alone with some books and magazines, I ended up trying that P90X infomercial DVD workout at the dare of a friend...it's all setup for you, changes every 30 days to keep muscles guessing and working, and it just plain works. Free weights, bodyweight, plyometrics, abs/core, even some yoga and stretching workouts. Everything is in there, and organized well.
Old     (evadehickman)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-20-2010, 7:56 AM Reply   
Find a Crossfit gym near you, join it, and work out at least 3x a week. You can read the general idea about crossfit here:

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/what-crossfit.html

Basically, it works out everything you've got, and prepares you to be fit for anything and everything. Workouts are constantly varied, whole-body, scalable and measurable so you can see your progress over time. They are generally anaerobic, sprint workouts where you will work as hard as you can for 15-25 minutes depending on the workout of the day. There is excellent science behind it, and the explosion of crossfit based gyms across the country and internationally, plus the fact that crossfit has been around for a long time, demonstrates the quality of the program. It's a lot more than an infomercial, and you develop great relationships with other athletes in your community. I joined a local gym about 5 months ago, and even going twice a week I have seen a big difference in general fitness: strength, endurance, balance, accuracy, recovery, etc.

I get more sore from the workouts than I do from wakeboarding! lol
Old     (JohnM)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-20-2010, 9:05 AM Reply   
Jordan,

Sounds like you are over doing it some what. Are you drinking alcohol when you are out on the boat? I would cut that out if so. Floating in the water dehydrates you quickly even with no physical activity so water sports require you drink lots of water.

These are the lifts that I do specifically to get in Wakeboard Shape.

Renegade rows with a push up in between each Row.
Hang clean to Front Squat to Shoulder Press.
Cable Chest Fly from Multiple Angles
Squat with Row on a cable machine set to the lowest position.

Renegade Rows are great for the cable because they force you to stabilize your core which the cable can shred to pieces.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-20-2010, 10:04 AM Reply   
I have really been thinking about starting to workout again too. Mainly to not get my old ass hurt again. I just cannot seem to get consistant with any workout. Is crossfit something you can do at the house in a short period of time?
Old     (jdoyle25)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-20-2010, 3:00 PM Reply   
Thanks for putting your 2 cents in everybody im taking notes on everything...My body is in healthy condition but the soreness really might be just from me trying to pull out those would be crashes...no i don't drink beer on the boat or while riding not big on drinking...I think im going to start doing crossfit some of my buddy's in the service do this and i hear them talk about it a lot.