Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-11-2008, 1:13 PM Reply   
Hey guys I have a cream factory boat cover for my fourwinns and it is filthy. tried soap and a hand brush still no help. anyone have any tricks for this. The underside has a bit of mildew too. Any help would be appreciated :-)
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-11-2008, 1:31 PM Reply   
powerwasher??? prob not a good idea tho..could rip it?
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-11-2008, 1:41 PM Reply   
Try a mildewcide. If that does not work dye it.
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-11-2008, 2:45 PM Reply   
I got good results by laying mine out on concrete driveway. Wetting it down with a hose, sprinkling a box of Tide on it, then using a swimming pool wall brush on a handle to scrub it clean. Follow up with final hose off rinse, drape it over a fence to dry!
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-11-2008, 3:59 PM Reply   
I took mine to the laundry cleaners, they have those giant machines that wash them, It was like brand new when I got it back, cost like 50.00
Old     (bcmach)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-11-2008, 4:36 PM Reply   
Take it to the cleaners, you can't dye sunbrella
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-11-2008, 4:43 PM Reply   
like a dry cleaners
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-11-2008, 8:14 PM Reply   
pressure washer doesnt rip it, i used one on a super dirty cover the other week at work and it turned out pretty good
Old     (jrc240)      Join Date: May 2007       03-14-2008, 7:50 PM Reply   
Took mine to the dry cleaners, came back super clean only cost around $50.00
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-15-2008, 6:12 PM Reply   
Laundry Matt, When you get it home use a can of all purpose silicone spray. It can be purchased at any Big Five sports store. The cover comes out perfect every time for less than fifty times.
Old     (thespleen)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-15-2008, 10:52 PM Reply   
$50?!?
Take it to a laundromat with one of those big washers and wash it. Should cost about 5 bucks in quarters.
Old     (jrc240)      Join Date: May 2007       03-16-2008, 12:35 AM Reply   
Drycleaners not laundromat. they clean it the same way they clean dozens and dozens of car covers.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-16-2008, 6:07 AM Reply   
I 2nd the the commercial machine at a laundromat.

I would recommend a mild soap like Woolite, or something made for this type of waterproof material such as NIKWAX Tech-Wash or Star Brite Boat Cover Cleaner. These types of cleaners will not strip the waterproofing from the cover.

After cleaning, it's a good idea to retreat. You can use NIKWAX TX-Direct wash in treatment. Pour it into the machine and run it through a rinse cycle. If you feel the cover needs a little more help then this, then use something like 303's Fabric Guard.

When the cover is dry, lay it out flat, upside down. Put it on something like a tarp to protect it. Give the cover a liberal coating with the waterproofer. I like to buy the gallon jug, and spray it on with a clean pump-up garden sprayer. Let dry.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-16-2008, 9:08 AM Reply   
I'll second the driveway trick...but will recommend trying Simple Green. Get the big bottle of concentrate and use it at full strength on your spots. Lay out the cover nice and flat and hit all the trouble spots with simple green...hose a SMALL amount of water just to help it soak. Let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes then brush it in with a broom.

Rinse well, then hit the whole thing with a strong solution of simple green.

It cleans really well, and gives your cover a nice fresh smell. Follow up with a good water protector.
Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-16-2008, 2:44 PM Reply   
Will taking it to the cleaners work for a snap on cover. I'd be kind of worried it might shrink.
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-16-2008, 4:45 PM Reply   
The only thing that would even knock SOME of the mildew off sharkskin for me was soft scrub (mild abrasive and chlorine bleach), a stiff bristle brush, elbow grease, then baking in the blistering july mid day sun... even then the mildew was back in a month. I gave up as it never seemed to spread to the boat.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-16-2008, 10:40 PM Reply   
yea i have mildew and it isn't coming out. I used simple green. I'm thinking 10% sollution and lay in the sun?
Old     (soak_up_the_sun)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-17-2008, 5:21 AM Reply   
We used a pressure washer, bleach solution, and dishwashing soap, and a brush. Then let it dry in the sun for the day. It looks pretty good...not perfect, but much better.
We tried the laundromat idea, but our cover would not fit. It's for an Enzo 230, so maybe bigger than others that it worked for. We went to 3 different laundromats, looking for a bigger machine, but couldn't find one.
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-17-2008, 5:29 AM Reply   
Next cover is going to be dark grey so I can't see the mildew. Ignorance can be bliss.
Although... my candles will melt as hot as it'll get under a dark cover.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-17-2008, 5:47 AM Reply   
Antifanboi, I like the way you think ;-) I wish my house had black tile bathrooms so I would never have to clean

On the serious side, the mildew is more harmful to the material the the properly diluted bleach used to clean it. It's a constant battle many of us have to fight on a regular basis.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-17-2008, 10:03 PM Reply   
man im glad im not the only one.
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-17-2008, 10:48 PM Reply   
TigeMike I take it you have never had a black floor in your house. One of the hardest things to keep clean. Ever own a black car and how you have to wash it like every day in order to look good. Black floors are the same. I installed a black slate floor for a client and they told me that it looks good but they will never do it again.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-18-2008, 6:01 AM Reply   
Brandon,

It was just a joke about not being able to see black mold on black tile.