Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-09-2007, 7:52 AM Reply   
I am looking for an HD camcorder and am not sure out of these two which to buy. I know the VHR is a lot cheaper but still which is better. One thing that i am really interested in is,
the super slo mo or highspeed or whatever its called. I know the FX7 has the ability to record at like 240 fps (i think) but i am not sure if the VHR can. Could someone just give me the
pros and cons of each please? thatd be great, thanks.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-09-2007, 8:00 AM Reply   
whoops hvr not vhr my bad
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-09-2007, 8:21 AM Reply   
That's an interesting feature but given the short recording duration in that mode it seems kind of worthless to me.

720p60 is tailor made for slomo whether in cam (using the variable frame rate mode in the HVX200/other hi end Panny cams) or done later in post. Getting decent slomo using hdv footage can be done but only if shot properly to begin with and with a lot of extra work in post. I start by converting the HDV segment to 720p60 which is very time consuming.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-09-2007, 8:24 AM Reply   
whoa i have no idea what you just said
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-09-2007, 9:10 AM Reply   
That's why you don't need that 240 fps gimick!

(Message edited by richd on December 09, 2007)
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-09-2007, 9:18 AM Reply   
No im interested in it i just dont understand it
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-09-2007, 1:13 PM Reply   
Here you go, from this review:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-HDR-FX7-Camcorder-Review/Other-Features.htm

"Other Features (9.0) Smooth Slow Record – Heavily marketed but of dubious value, the Smooth Slow Record feature can capture up to 6 seconds of video, then stretch it out to play at about 4x slower. The video quality is actually pretty good, but with only six second bursts, this is not an on-the-fly feature. Your shots will have to be set up and timed just right. "

My take is that there is a write time buffer in between bursts that will make it impossible to make this function very usable for wakeboarding.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-09-2007, 6:43 PM Reply   
ohh so you can like use the smooth slow record for only like 6 seconds of real time, but then u can slow it down?
Old     (ilovelake)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-09-2007, 10:25 PM Reply   
I just bought an HDR SR7 as a last minute decision over the the JVC GZ7(or whatever the model's called). I thought the slow-motion mode sounded cool but didn't think much of it. Since then it's been my favorite feature on the camera, I do most of my wakeboard filming in slow motion now. And my camera can only do 3 seconds of it (playback over 12), but that's plenty long for one wake jump. And the best part is you can set it up to record the 3 seconds prior to you hitting record, so you can wait for the trick (or fall) you want and then record, without having to predict what the rider's going to do or time it right. Also it's perfect for tennis serves and golf swings if you're into that. IMO it's the best feature on the camera and i'm very glad i went with the Sony, I would not consider it just a gimmick. just my $.02
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-10-2007, 5:09 AM Reply   
Reed,

How long do you have to wait between recording a 3 second clip, I assume there is some sort of interval? All the editing I've done I've always used different re-timing rates, I wouldn't want to be limited to 25%, it would be good for training stuff though as you point out.