Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old    wake10            08-01-2004, 3:12 PM Reply   
I was looking to buy a new wakebaordingbut but i dont have enough money to get anything new soo does anyone Know of any different brands of boats or certain I/O's that would be good thanks
Old    jetpilot313            08-01-2004, 3:14 PM Reply   
dont get an io, get an older nautique, mastercraft or malibu
Old    powaman            08-01-2004, 4:22 PM Reply   
I board behind my 19ft I/O and it throws a pretty nice wake with about 5-6 people plus it was only 3,000 dollars.
Old    grampawakerider            08-01-2004, 4:46 PM Reply   
I'll depart with mine for 17k. Like it tons, but need more room. (NADA says 18.5k)
Old    jetpilot313            08-01-2004, 5:04 PM Reply   
nothing against i/o's thats what i own and it throws a nice wake to but for the best wake i would get an older ski boat
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-01-2004, 7:43 PM Reply   
82-89 nautique cant be beat!
Old    yearling            08-01-2004, 7:51 PM Reply   
I back that. We just got our 86 ski nautique and the wake cant be beat for an older ski boat.
Old    wakecord            08-02-2004, 9:13 AM Reply   
10: :4Ever
20: Test walllet for 'weight ballast'
30: Test boats
40: goto 4Ever

(Message edited by wakecord on August 02, 2004)
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-02-2004, 3:43 PM Reply   
Ill put my weighted I/O up against anyones weighted "OLDER D DRIVE", we ride behind a ssv all the time also and if i add weight it is comparable in size not width to the stock "weighted" ssv wake. I will say it took a chevy 305(5.0), PP, a prop, and weight to get it there but then again youll be adding those to the older D anyway too...my i/o will still ride better in chop then the d or v. Im just getting tired of I/O haters when most have never been behind a properly set-up I/O.
Paul i have a 19'6" monterey and can not vouch for other I/O brands as far as wake shape, holding speed, and wake height.

Im still glad 3 years later i didnt buy the moomba i was looking at when i bought the Monterey.
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-03-2004, 6:22 AM Reply   
I'm gonna have to agree with Bob on this one. Most people haven't been behind a well-weighted I/O.

And on a side note.If you're only 14 or 15, I doubt you have enough "boat owning" experience to be recommending boats.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-03-2004, 12:26 PM Reply   
well someone take me. where do you live? i like learning new stuff. you can try out the old nautique wake too. the only outboard i have tried was a 19' searay and the wake was non existant

(Message edited by 882001 on August 03, 2004)
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       08-03-2004, 2:15 PM Reply   
i'll my my mastercraft up against your monterey on ride quality eric, no offense guys but i/o's serve there purpose in life but they're not evan going to come close to the ski-ability of a d or v drive
Old    tkdhav            08-03-2004, 2:41 PM Reply   
I also agree with Bob. I have been behind a Air Nautique last year at a wake school and the guy was a little insulted when I told him the wake behind my Fourwinns was larger than his boat. So he added water to his ballast system and my boat still had a taller wake! The only problem I have with my boat is if you want to run a 75' rope or longer you will find washed out wake. The nice thing is I have a new boat with a warranty and not been beat on by some little spoiled kid.
The wake behind another Nautique I rode behind had steeper wake. This does not make up for the extra $20,000.00 I have in my pocket. Don’t get me wrong it would be nice to own a Nautique or MC but I think your not getting what you are paying for. After all you can buy a 30’ cuddy cab for 70k.
Old    tkdhav            08-03-2004, 2:48 PM Reply   
Lets look at it this way! You build a house for 120k its about 1200 sq ft. your neighbor builds a house also and his house cost 210k for the same 1200 sq ft. I'm sure there is a lot of nice stuff in that house but I think I would have rather spent that extra 75% on a 2100 sq ft house and just add nice stuff to it later.

"Too each there own"
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-04-2004, 8:22 AM Reply   
Well Ryan,
If you would've read the above posts correctly,you would see I don't own a Monterey. That was bob.

And I too have ridden behind MC's and Nautiques. They have plenty of bells and whistles, but when it comes down to it, the wake isn't all that much better....if any. Not to mention that a bad-ass boat does not make someone a bad-ass wakeboarder.

And as far as I/O's serving their purpose, they do. Which is ski,wakeboard and having the ability to go into any body of water without the fear of sinking from the light chop caused by a breeze across the water. But,luckily for the marketing divisions of these boating companies, they can cause (mostly young) people to believe that you can only ride behind a 50k boat.
Old    wakecord            08-04-2004, 8:59 AM Reply   
Stern Drives
Pros:
More manueverable (backing, etc.), lower initial cost, more sea-worthy, and more adaptable, thus leading to broader re-sale market appeal.

Cons:
A tad more dangerous with that exposed prop, especially when driven by inboard jocks that are used to letting the motor run. Harder to hold at speed (for those without PP), harder to build perfect wake (compared to a SAN for example. PIA swim platform compared to inboard. Less efficient compared to inboards.
Old    ilovetrains            08-04-2004, 9:04 AM Reply   
Rinker makes two i/os set up for wakeboarding. They come standard with PP, 5 blade prop, tower. No ballast, but that is not hard to add, really. You can get a loaded RX2 for a little over 40K, hell of a deal really.
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-04-2004, 9:33 AM Reply   
That's kind of a good deal, but you're back in the ball park of 40-50k. And if you're going to spend that, you might as well get an inboard. Since one of the deciding factors from potential boat buyers is the lower price of I/O's.
Old    tommyj16            08-04-2004, 10:55 AM Reply   
Scott- where did you get your tower??? I am looking for one to go on my chaparral.
Old     (wallyworld)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-04-2004, 11:51 AM Reply   
if a junky POS like rinker goes for 40's then at 70 the xstar is a hell of a deal, i figured a boat like a rinker would barely fetch 20.
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-04-2004, 12:31 PM Reply   
I don't think that particular boat is worth 40k+, however they're far from junky. They've been building boats for 70 years and some of them fetch 300k - 400k.

When's the last time you saw a 48' Mastercraft ocean liner?

...yeah,me either.
Old    ag4ever            08-04-2004, 2:39 PM Reply   
Rinker is not a junky boat, but then againg they are no Cobalt either. You could get a 21' Cobalt with a tower, etc for about 40-50, and the build quality would blow rinker out of the water. i view rinker as being the middle of the road boat, between Cobalt and Bayliner.

They are'nt the best nor the worst.

I was at the Houston boats show four years ago, and a relative of the rinker family started talking about how you can tell if a boat is good quality by if the side of the boat has waves in it. i was about to ask him if that meant his were crap since they were fairly wavy compaired to mariah and cobalt. I decoded to bite my tongue, and just keep walking.Personally, I think Four Winns is the best bang for the buck boat in the I/O market, but then again, if i was to get an I/O it would be a Cobalt.
Old    ilovetrains            08-04-2004, 4:04 PM Reply   
Cobalt makes the best qaulity boat on the water period. I too agree that Four Wins is the best bang for the buck.

As for Rinker, that RX2 with a 6.2 is 40 flat. A X star is 30K more. That is a HUGE difference. The Rinker will never be an Xstar, but you can get almost 2 of em for the price.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-04-2004, 8:00 PM Reply   
cobalt blah, blah blah ------blah!
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-04-2004, 8:07 PM Reply   
cobalt blah, blah blah ------blah!
Old     (elduke)      Join Date: May 2002       08-06-2004, 12:43 PM Reply   
It is on!! Cobalt(for an I/O) builds the finest wake-producing boats on the market. Take a Cobalt 240 SD on the water and tell me it's wake is not as good as some of the wakeboard-specific boats out there. I have played on a bunch of them but that boat has the cleanest wakes I have seen for an I/O. But I am also biased.
Old    wake10            08-10-2004, 2:11 PM Reply   
I rode behind a cobalt today they wake is insane!!!!!
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-10-2004, 3:20 PM Reply   
My theory (only a theory):

When looking at "non-wakeboard boats" with the idea of using them as wakeboard boats, look for a hull that is similar to a wakeboard boat.

If you look at the hulls of wakeboard boats, you'll notice some similarities, namely:

- Deep vee in front. The front of the running surface forms a very narrow vee. Sometimes, it's even a bit concave from top-to-bottom. It *almost* looks like the bow of a displacement vessel, designed to slice through the water instead of rising above it.

- Shallow vee to flat bottom at the transom. Look at a Super Air, VLX, SSV, 22V, etc. and you'll see that the hull is nearly flat in the back.

Imagine the water passing under the boat. I believe that this gentle transition from vee to flat bottom is what forms the tidy mounds of water that eventually come together to form a beautifully clean wake.

Now, most I/O's that you see will have a shallower vee in front, and a deeper vee in the back (compared to wakeboard boats). I believe this helps them 1. plane higher in the water, allowing higher top speeds, and 2. Cut through waves better since the vee continues through to the transom. The effect on the wake, however, is usually that it is flat and/or washy.

So basically, look for a hull with a sharp and narrow vee in front, transitioning to a very shallow vee in the rear (I don't think you will find an I/O with a flat bottom at the transom). These characteristics seem to go hand-in-hand with a clean and nicely-shaped wake.