Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (sanguine)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-25-2006, 9:38 AM Reply   
I had a lift installed this week, and it looks great! But, the runners are pretty tight together, and I'm a little weary of getting my prop on one if I don't have it on straight and lift it out of the water. And lets face it, I’m a crappy driver! I'd like to add guide poles to alleviate my stress if nothing else.

Has anyone done this? Is there a product anyone recommends or am I best off just picking up some steel poles, bolting them on, and sliding on some pretty covers?

I don't have a good picture showing the clearance to either side (which isn't much), but I'll upload something...

Upload

Upload
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-25-2006, 10:00 AM Reply   
When the lift is down, is it completely out of the way? I know a lot of people with lifts that use their slip as an ordinary slip when the lift is down, so adding a set of guide poles in the back will be a problem in that regard.

I would think that you would want something like the trailer guide posts. A steel post that is the proper height when the lift is up, and a lenght of ABS pipe slipped over that that floats up to quide you on when the lift is down.

I highly recommend using a galanized pipe rather than plain steel. It looks like it would be fairly easy to build a bracket to extend the base out past the beam of the boat. You might also want to bend the pipe a little so it angled out instead of straight up
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-25-2006, 10:05 AM Reply   
I have another suggestion... Why not string a few ropes from the roof down to be your guides... Then you don't have to modify your lift and if you want to use the slip as a slip when the lift is down they won't get in the way either.

Just a thought!
Old     (sanguine)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-25-2006, 10:12 AM Reply   
When it is down, it is not completely out of the way as just the back drops (it pivots at the front downward) and the fronts of the runners are still sticking up at an angle. With it down I can still use it as a regular slip, but would need to tie the boat back further. I'm not really concerned about that though, as I plan to have it lifted all the time except when in use, and this is the only boat using the slip.

I'm thinking galvanized pipe as suggested is the way to go. The beam of the boat is almost identical to the lift width so it wouldn't be a big deal to get it spaced right and bolted on.
Old     (goodwin)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-25-2006, 11:35 AM Reply   
I found some guide pole covers here...

http://www.screaminsacs.com/home.php

They slip on over the ABS/PVC.
Nice LSV!
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       05-25-2006, 11:55 AM Reply   
look in Overtons or West Marine catalogs in the Trailer section. The aftermarket guide poles have bolt-on brackets that would mount to your aluminum frame.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       05-25-2006, 12:26 PM Reply   
This is what all the lifts around use. It is an aluminum guide pole with PVC slipped over the top. These are all bolt on options for the lift.
Upload
Old     (sanguine)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-25-2006, 12:33 PM Reply   
Ok... that is what I need lol. Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll check out the online catalogs, and if I can't find something reasonable there this doesn't look like it should be too hard to make myself.