Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through May 13, 2004

Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-30-2004, 1:59 PM Reply   
Thinking of getting an Acme 3 blade vrs. 4 blade.
Running a Mastercraft Prostar 190 with 13X13. Only thing now with wakeboarding more the gas seems to be going faster. Has anyone made the change and are they worth it?
Old    tigejohn21i            05-03-2004, 1:44 PM Reply   
I haven't seen too many people go from a 3 blade to a 4 blade, it's usually the other way around. The four blade will give you more out of the hole, the is better for top-end.
Old     (gvb)      Join Date: May 2003       05-03-2004, 2:33 PM Reply   
I just went from the stock 13x13 prop on my 89 ProStar 190 to an Acme 543 3 blade. HUGE difference. Holeshot was the biggest improvement. Holding speed is much better as well.
Old    drwake            05-03-2004, 7:40 PM Reply   
I am also running a '88 PS 190. When I bought it, the previous owner had only used it for skiing and had an OJ SS 14x20 4 blade - which is what we have been using (runs about 2300rpm at boarding speed). Thinking about another prop (as when we have run it with more weight - about 1200-1300lbs - it is a dog out of the hole and for holding speed). As a spare, we had a 14x18 3 blade with the boat - haven't tried it yet, just wondering what others are using when weighted, what rpms you are pulling etc. (This has a powerslot box - so is probably different to Richard's). Cheers for any help.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-04-2004, 8:23 AM Reply   
i started with a 4 blade oj and went to 3 blade acme. it was a huge difference, night and day. i've dinged my acme a few times and wish it was in original condition. i'll get another one pretty soon, esp. if i ding this one again. even reverse works better!
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-04-2004, 1:43 PM Reply   
Okay, let me get this straight..... you guys are saying that youe would rather have a THREE blade prop and NOT a FOUR blade?

I have always been told that a 4 blade prop will get you out of the hole faster and easier, especially when weighted, more so than a 3 blade will.

I just wanted to make sure you guys didn't get your 3 and 4's mixed up.

Why is a 3 blade better for hole shot than a 4? I know the pitch has more to do with performance than the number of blades. I have been thinking about getting a 4 blade but now you guys have me wondering?
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-04-2004, 2:03 PM Reply   
the acme 3 blades are different from conventional. the blades are larger and the cnc machining creates a shape with less drag, more precise. you should give them a call.

www.acmemarine.com (i think) do a search and see what other people have said. here's a pic of my old oj and new acme.

Old    tigejohn21i            05-04-2004, 5:36 PM Reply   
An Acme 3 blade came with my Tige. I replaced it with a 4 blade Oj and the prop is way smoother than the 3 blade Acme.. and the hole-shot is way better.
Old     (gvb)      Join Date: May 2003       05-04-2004, 6:49 PM Reply   
JohnE: you are one of just a few that I have heard say that about the acme 3 blade. everyone else normally claims the acme 3 blade is better than anyone elses 4 blade.
Old    oldschool            05-05-2004, 6:32 AM Reply   
I agree with GVB. I have never heard anyone say what JohnE has just said.

The ACME 3 blades have more surface area than any other 4 blade. This is why they are preferred.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-05-2004, 7:46 AM Reply   
Here is one thing that is strange. The same hand finished prop, like an OJ, Michigan, or others, will run differently from boat to boat of the same model due to the slight differences in the shaft and rotating hardware. It may be that his prop cancels out the those minor variations and performs better. It has been seen before, but is rare.

Also, we don't know why, but 4-blades do work better on some V-drives. Even Acme tests between their own 3 and 4-blade models show this on some boats. The SAN 210 and the X-2, and X-Star are in this catagory.
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-05-2004, 1:28 PM Reply   
All you Guys,
Thanks for all the input. Went to Calif.Skier and got their input...smart guys..came home and ordered an Acme...part #543..$315.00 inc. shipping, how can you beat that..Propellersonline.com..
Thanks again for input....i'll post again after the first run..
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-05-2004, 1:55 PM Reply   
I sell it for $310 including shipping.

rider@boarditup.com
Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-05-2004, 2:49 PM Reply   
Not every acme prop is made to do the same thing. Just because your tige came with the acme part # X doesn't mean that it was the best prop for your application. Just a thought.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-05-2004, 7:02 PM Reply   
That is correct, that is why they have over 100 models.
Old     (bjbatch)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-05-2004, 9:37 PM Reply   
Richard - You will love the Acme. I swear it even made my engine sound better! It worked the power band in my motor just right and gave me a lot more acceleration. It holds speed as well or better than the four blade did.
Old     (gvb)      Join Date: May 2003       05-06-2004, 3:14 PM Reply   
Also agreed, the reason why you should call Acme and ask them... they make the damn things, they should know the answer to your application questions.

Richard... good luck with the prop. Don't pull a dumbass move like I did and try to put a stainless nut on a stainless shaft with no anti-seize or lube. I welded the nut to the shaft before it even got all the way on. AFTER packing up for a weekend trip with 5 other people, 5pm on a Friday. Luckily we got it fixed in time to still go.

-gvb <---- retard