Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-04-2011, 11:38 AM Reply   
I am building a theater/arcade in our new house in the bay area. I had this Mame Arcade Machine built for me with custom art work and LEDS. It has over 23,000 games on it. Pretty much every arcade game. Every nintendo super nintendo sega and Neo Geo game on it. I am more of an old school guy so I love playing games with just an A and B button. My wife and I have been having some major tetris battles.
I also have two light guns for shooting games and a steering wheel for driving games. Haven't busted them out yet, too busy with all the other games.
Attached Images

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-04-2011, 1:33 PM Reply   
How much was the bad boy, it looks AWESOME
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-04-2011, 2:05 PM Reply   
Great looking box!! I've collected ROMs for a while, but lost most of them. Always planned to build a box but it's one of those projects that gets knocked down the household priority ladder. Have fun with it!!
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-04-2011, 2:19 PM Reply   
Mikey - this thing is ridiculous. I can't wait to check it out.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-04-2011, 5:44 PM Reply   
i had all of those on a hacked xbox. Like every game ever ever. Was fun for a while... your setup would be more fun because it would give the old skool feel,
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-04-2011, 5:48 PM Reply   
I'm impressed.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-04-2011, 7:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
i had all of those on a hacked xbox
Thats what I'm doing now, but it isn't as fun because you've got unlimited continues
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-04-2011, 7:48 PM Reply   
That's awesome! I'm planning on building a smaller cabinet for the cabin.

Mike, what MAME software is that? Is the emulator (or whatever it's called) just "Arcade Classics", or where did you get that software?
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-04-2011, 8:24 PM Reply   
Found it..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-MAME-tm-A...item45f5a55b05
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-05-2011, 9:21 AM Reply   
Michael it uses hyperspin front end. Which is pretty cool.
http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/

I am not very techy so the front end technology is pretty important to me.
Old    bigdtx            06-05-2011, 3:35 PM Reply   
http://mamedev.org/
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-05-2011, 3:49 PM Reply   
Sweet, I've been familiar with MAME for years, but never got into the frontends. I've been messing with Hyperspin for a few days, and love it - definitely makes it a lot easier to build the cabinet!
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-08-2011, 1:29 PM Reply   
Mike, sweet Mame cabinet. Not to jack, but I built my own from scratch. I built it out of 1/2" MDF. and painted the outside and covered it with T-molding. I bought the individual parts for the controller. I have a setup for 4 players and am working on the the trackball. Currently, it has hundreds of classic games - Pac Man, Galaga, Dig Dug. Also want to get some of the newer games such as Golden Tee and possibly add a gun for Area 51. I'm going with an Auburn theme on the outside (please - no haters!) First time that I've done it, so let's hope it works.

Here are a few pics.
Attached Images

Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-08-2011, 4:05 PM Reply   
I have a cousin who's also an avid wakeboarder who built his own unit just like this. I'll forward him the link to this thread.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-08-2011, 4:19 PM Reply   
Jeff hi jack all you want. That is awsome. I love seeing what other people do and get ideas from other people on this kind of stuff. Check out the pics in my profile of our lake house.
I have a great vision for this area when it is done, I think it will be really smooth. Just gotta get the cash flow to do it right.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-08-2011, 11:13 PM Reply   
Looks great Jeff. Where did you buy all of your buttons and joysticks from? I've been looking at buying from Suzo-Happ (Happcontrols.com), but wanted to see if there is a better online retailer.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-09-2011, 9:12 AM Reply   
I was playing with the remote light guns last night. Those things are awsome. You guys should definately add to your system if you can.
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-10-2011, 7:56 AM Reply   
Sinko, I got all the buttons and joysticks off of E-bay. They are Suzo happ joysticks (8 way) and I just ordered a Happ trackball for Golden Tee! I got them from a e-bay seller named Twisted Quarter. The blue buttons came prewire for leds but the orange ones did not. I'm in the process of getting them to light up with individual LEDs that I got from radio shack.

A little more info about the system:

The PC is an old computer that I retired. It's an old Penium4 that is in the cabinet. The control from the control panel to the board is done through an IPAC4. You can get it here. http://ultimarc.com/ipac1.html You can see the IPAC 4 in the photo showing the bottom of the control panel. It looks like a small PC board.

The IPAC 4 converts the movements of the joysticks/buttons to a keyboard input. The PC sees it as a keyboard letter. It's pretty simple. There is no software that had to be installed on the computer. The IPAC4 connects through a USB connection on the PC.

The computer is connected to an old TV that I had. You need a VGA to RCA converter (depending on what TV you have - you could do it via HDMI if you have a newer TV.) Since the TV that I had was old, it had a RCA video input . I had to convert the VGA to RCA so I needed a converter box. I prepared the graphics in Adobe Photoshop and had some guy print the marque. It's lit up with a florescent light.

The software for the games is all over the internet. Search MAME - Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator. You can even add Atari, Nintendo, Super NES, Sega games. Pretty awesome.
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-10-2011, 7:58 AM Reply   
I also use hyperspin for the front end.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-10-2011, 8:40 AM Reply   
I will say Neo Geo has to be the coolest old school system ever. THere is nothing like a little baseball stars!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-10-2011, 8:56 AM Reply   
This post has motivated me to go ahead and do this....

I've wanted to for a while but never really had the push (play all these games on a modded xbox) but the arcade feel was always gone - and I have a similar Bar/Theater setup whick this would be awesome for.

Any size recommendation on the screen? I found a shell cabinet with a screen (33") for $300 (hopefully can lowball) ... would that be good you think?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-10-2011, 9:10 AM Reply   
....Also does hyperspin allow for other types of emulation/roms in the menu system -- like n65, dreamcast, etc etc or just MAME arcade style games?
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-10-2011, 9:22 AM Reply   
Hyperspin allows just about everything. I have dreamcast on there. A bunch of japanese consoles and some stuff I have never heard of. Plus a bunch of PC games
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-10-2011, 9:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Hyperspin allows just about everything
Good to know!

Here is the cabinet I found - too lazy to try and build, no controls but that is easy enough - looks like an okay deal