Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (flip360)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-26-2009, 3:44 PM Reply   
Has anybody change out a steering cable on a 2000 xstar? How long did it take and any tips.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-26-2009, 5:48 PM Reply   
Piece of cake. Have same exact boat. Don't waste your time trying to fish it through. Take the rear center seat base off and pull the floor. I just ran my new cable above the gas tank rather then trying to fish it through underneath. This is what was recommended by my dealer as well. All in all solo it took me about 1.5 hrs. Just because of having to remove the seat base. The bolts are easy to find. Just pull the cooler.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-26-2009, 7:29 PM Reply   
unbuckle it from the back, but tie a rope to the rear end of it first. Unbolt it from under the steering column and fish that part to the front starboard seat. Then pull the entire cable through from the front seat. Take care to watch how it moves by the gas tank. I did not need to unbolt the gas tank or anything. Get the new cable and start it from the front, using a combination of pulling on the rope from the back and fishing it from the front.

I think it took me 1.5 to 2 hrs.
Old     (flip360)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-26-2009, 10:45 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice. How much did you pay a cable?
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-27-2009, 11:46 AM Reply   
Can't recall as i got ot form the dealer. Another place to get it from is skidim.com
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-28-2009, 9:27 AM Reply   
My cable came from skidim or westmarine. About $100. I tried pulling it through like Erik explained but it got stuck around the gas tank somewhere. I removed the center floor panel. Didn't have to unbolt the rear seat. was able to just pop the front of the floor up a bit, then pull it toward the bow and lift it out completely. Good Luck.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-28-2009, 4:13 PM Reply   
loosening the rear center seat bottom helps in getting out that center panel. like 4 or 5 bolts should give you what you need to get it out.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-28-2009, 9:08 PM Reply   
Never tried popping the floor up like that Chase. Going to have to give that a whirl. Save me some bolt time
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-29-2009, 5:20 PM Reply   
i've done it a few times. I actually pop out the access cover to the center drain plug, grab the panel with my hand there and then pop it up and slide it out. Comes out a a couple seconds.
Old     (chicagomastercraft)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-30-2009, 10:45 PM Reply   
Cut off the helm end of the old cable, duct tape the new cable (transom end) to the old cable (helm end) and pull it through.

Not too hard of a job depending on the boat.