Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 23, 2006

Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-08-2006, 9:44 PM Reply   
jus got it this evening. hopin to ride tomorow or the next day. cant wait. i thought it was goin to be a huge board but i jibbed the living room for an hour and i think its perfect
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-08-2006, 10:00 PM Reply   
Ive had it for 3 months or so and dad has not had ime to go out on the boat i m dying to ride it and YES i also jibbed the living room.
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-10-2006, 11:58 AM Reply   
Trying mine out today. Can't Wait
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-10-2006, 10:12 PM Reply   
Checked ti out it was sick and had a lot of getting used too.
Old    358army            02-11-2006, 11:57 AM Reply   
06 roam is a complete different feeling than the 05, the side cut in the 06 makes it a lot easier to edge, its a fun board....
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-13-2006, 6:17 PM Reply   
rode it yesterday. had so much fun. board has alot of pop. way more than the old shape. it cuts harder and still is just as loose as last years. a little more stiff, the inserts are set an inch wider. even though its wider it doesnt have that much swing weight. it is a little slower on mobes, but i dont notice the difference on normal or off axis spins. in short this board is deffinately the sickest thing ive ever ridden. i love it
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-13-2006, 6:44 PM Reply   
what kind of boat are you riding behind because compared to my other boiards i ride it was week on the pop.

but the reason i bought it was for rails so i am not really dissapointed.

but it is still a sick board especially how well it edges.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-14-2006, 8:41 AM Reply   
i mostly ride malibu, sunsetter or the lsv which is the 23 foot. for me its got way more pop than any other board because it fits my riding style, knees completely bent like im snowboarding. most people will have the same comclusion you have though because they are used to riding a normal board.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-14-2006, 10:08 AM Reply   
You definitely have to change up your pop a bit to ride the Roam. You need to work with the flex in an ollie style pop rather than just crashing into the wake. It wasn't ever really for me for wake riding, but I will say Jason gets giant snap out of it.

Jason, we'll have to hook up one of these days when my boats gets back out of the shop.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-15-2006, 3:09 PM Reply   
even hit me up. you know how to get ahold of me. im down to ride whenever. cant wait for spring ride dog. ill be cruizin up friday prolly so lemme know if you need help with the apparatus or whatever.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-15-2006, 4:03 PM Reply   
yea even is right about the way you pop on a roam. when jumping u cut into the wake like normal, except with your knees bent way more than normal, but when you hit the wake you flatten out a little bit and ollie off the lip of the wake, rather than just standing tall.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-15-2006, 4:31 PM Reply   
jason, so is it like a ollie on a skate board? If you watch old tapes of Bylery. Thats how he used to ride a wake board. I am a old skater but could never incorp that in to my riding because the boards would not flex enough. To get a true ollie out of them.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-15-2006, 7:30 PM Reply   
yea kinda like a skateboard where you kick down with your back leg and pull up with your front. more like a snowboard if your familiar with snowboarding in the park at all. if you would like to ride more like that then i would give the roam a try.
Old     (jpshaff01)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-16-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
I ride like that with a regular board, can you really even get alot of air just standing tall. I have snowboarded for 10 years so i think that has something to do with it.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-16-2006, 12:48 PM Reply   
Hey Jason, just curious, how long does a roam last for you with the contant abuse of wake-riding? because last year they were breaking left right and centre and we just had them on rails.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-16-2006, 1:25 PM Reply   
Pretty sure he only broke one or two. I think he was breaking more "normal" boards before he got a hold of a roam.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-16-2006, 3:04 PM Reply   
yea i only broke one roam last year and it was toward the end of the year so it had almost a full season on it. and it was the first design that didnt have the abs sidewall. it was just wood. i hit quite a few sliders on that one too. i got a new one after that and it is still in great shape. it has made it through 2 days at owc and a few months of ridin. i only have one day on the 06 but it should last about the same. i dunno. a few years back i used to break about a board every month to month and a half. the last three years boards have gotten a lot stronger and they seem to last longer.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-16-2006, 3:05 PM Reply   
where are you guys ridin the rails. i know that owc has come along way since the first couple times i went there. about 5 years back i went through 3 boards in like two and a half days. plus i was ridin cwb at the time. hahaha. jk. i think all board companies have really stepped it up in board strength these days.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-16-2006, 6:17 PM Reply   
it was at owc. pretty much all the demo roams from performance were broke in about 3 weeks or so.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-16-2006, 6:31 PM Reply   
that is understandable though. you gotta figure that they were only riddin on sliders and each one was used at least 3-4 times a week. i dont think any board would last that much longer than that on sliders
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-16-2006, 10:24 PM Reply   
yeah I suppose, I broke about one "normal board" a month. I was just wondering weather having flex made it last longer or not when it came to just wake riding. Just me being curious.
Old    papi            02-17-2006, 4:02 PM Reply   
here is some shots we snapped of jason on his first voyage on the new shape

Old    papi            02-17-2006, 4:06 PM Reply   
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-17-2006, 4:12 PM Reply   
WOW!!
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-17-2006, 8:22 PM Reply   
i think that the flex in the board would make it last not as long but they seem to be holding up quite well. when i first started riding the roam the first thing i said was "ill probably be breaking quite a few of these boards". and much to my surprise and joy but ive only broken one.
Old     (skydog96)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-18-2006, 3:15 PM Reply   
Sick jason...
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-18-2006, 5:30 PM Reply   
skylar.... ma dog. what u up to. when u gonna come up and visit and ride the delta.
Old     (jamesb)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-20-2006, 4:36 PM Reply   
Can someone make a comment on the new rail shape of the Roam for edging. To me it doesn't make to much sense as you need an outwardly rounded edge (like the 05) to be able to drop it in the water to hold when turning or cutting.

The 06, with the inward edge wouldn't work as well in the water and I don't think that you can transfer the idea of holding an edge on snow to water. In theory of course as I haven't tried the 06.
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-20-2006, 4:47 PM Reply   
well the sidecut lets the board sit a liitle deeper in the water and when you edge the tail sits deeper in the water because of the snowboard shape and it acts like a fin.
Old     (jamesb)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-20-2006, 8:24 PM Reply   
Interesting..I am intrigued to see how people see this riding and how they get excited over it in the next year or two. If it performs practically according to that theory, that would definitely have an effect on the future of board shapes.

Just curious as thinking through the gimicks that were going to change the watersports industries in years gone by, eg phasers, winged keel fins on surfboards, etc.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-20-2006, 8:34 PM Reply   
i am dying to try a roam, i think i could become a convert.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-20-2006, 8:35 PM Reply   
jason, why dont you come down to truckee with evan one of these days? id like to rip with you on my turf....
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-21-2006, 5:42 PM Reply   
the board edges really well, better than the 05 model. the only difference is that u have to hold the edge all the way and cant let up at all because of the large tip and tail. otherwise if you come off your edge slightly you will loose any traction you have and slip out goin up the wake. the wider tip and tail give it way more pop than the 05 too.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-21-2006, 5:42 PM Reply   
mike, whenever. ill be ridin delta tomorow afternoon if you want to come down my way.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-21-2006, 6:38 PM Reply   
jason, i meant on the snow cause i hear you rip there as well.....and thats more "my turf" if you get me.

ill be hooking up with evan on the delta in a couple weeks, im sure you will be there, but let me know if you feel like rippin some park.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-21-2006, 8:59 PM Reply   
oh i got ya mike. id love to hit the snow. i havent been this year yet. i cant see spending 80 bucks on a lift ticket. a few years back i was at the mountain every day for a month and a half. i was able to aply alot of wakeboarding and trampolineing to the snow. had a lot of fun. thats how i see snowboarding is its basically a wakeboard with no rope. you can pretty much huck urself into whatever you want. hahaha. the other reason i havent been this year is cuz i dont know anyone up here that rides park. everyone jus cruizes. plus with the new roam im basically snowboarding on the water
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-21-2006, 9:14 PM Reply   
if its not snowing, im in the park, daily.

Ive got some hooks on lift tickets....ill get in touch when i get back.

btw boreal has a night pass for 99 bucks, its a fun park.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-21-2006, 9:27 PM Reply   
tempting but honestly im stoked on the new roam so much that i dont even care that much bout snowboarding. ill let you know if i get the urge to ride the snow. its sumer time already though. air temp here is back to the 70s and rising. i love the sumer baby
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-21-2006, 9:37 PM Reply   
Jason, do you have any surface pics. Clearly you have got the board dialed in, I like seeing nose press pics.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-21-2006, 9:41 PM Reply   
stephen-i dont have any right now but im tryin to find a at least a 3rd for tomorow so ill post some after i ride tomorow