Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 06, 2004

Old    ck2k01            06-25-2004, 1:59 PM Reply   
Im pretty new to wakeboarding, and I only ever ride at a cable park. Do i need to attach the fins to my board, or would I not want to if im hitting sliders and such?
Old     (tallman)      Join Date: May 2004       06-25-2004, 2:19 PM Reply   
Personally Chis I like having fins on my board, but thats me. My suggestion is to try your board with out fins and see if you like it. Every rider likes a little different feel to their board and you have to find the feel that you like best. As your wakeboarding progresses your style and feel might change with you. So ride what feels right and don't get stuck thinking this is the only way that works for me until you try different styles.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-25-2004, 2:36 PM Reply   
It's best to get a board with molded fins for hitting sliders at the cable park. Bolt-ons tend to get broken. Plus the park doesn't allow bolt-ons that are metal or fins that are over 1.5" (which is getting pretty big for sliders). Also it's pretty spooky having a bolt-on snag when you are hitting the flat rails.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-25-2004, 6:01 PM Reply   
John said it!!
Old    txwkbrdr06            06-25-2004, 8:11 PM Reply   
I have always rode with 1.6 inch fins, but I took them off a couple of weeks ago to ride the cable park. Even though I regularly ride at a lake, I still haven't put them back on, partly because we have a slider, kicker, and ramp at our lake, and partly because I can do more tricks without them. I think you have to have fins to cut harder to do bigger tricks, but for me that ain't too much of a problem. I would advise molded fins or no fins, personally. :-)
Old     (shakes5)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-25-2004, 9:16 PM Reply   
I often ride without fins at the start of summer, by doing so, it teachs you to ride using only your edge. Without proper edging technique you'll never progress.
Old    ck2k01            06-25-2004, 9:16 PM Reply   
alrite, thanks guys for the suggestions.

i actually rode today without the fins, and i like the loose kind of feel it has. i think i may stick with it...
Old    maltesecross            06-26-2004, 3:15 AM Reply   
just another perspective. I just switched from riding an O'Brien Answer (Shapiro model) 2.25 in. fins to the Ricky G. with 1.3 in. fins and it is unbelievable not only how much higher on the water it rides but also the board actually releases from the water if you do the ole face plant. This makes the crash feel like a slap on the face, rather than being slammed in the water like someone knocked you in the head with a big stick. I'm not sure if it's the fins (never tried finless) or the rocker or something else about the board, but the fact that it really doesn't give you a 3 day headache is awesome.