Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 05, 2004

Old    paperdesk            03-24-2004, 12:59 PM Reply   
Do you think Hydroslide boards are good intermediate boards? Specifically the Black Widow, Matrix or Tantrum?
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-24-2004, 2:46 PM Reply   
ummmm No
Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-24-2004, 3:13 PM Reply   
cant say, i haven't riden one, but for an intermediate im guessing they are all right.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-24-2004, 3:15 PM Reply   
My first thought would be..."crap." But I've never seen one.
Old    grampawakerider            03-24-2004, 4:41 PM Reply   
I've ridden a Hydroslide Nash Tantrum. IMO it's purely an entry level board. It's heavy, the edges are rounded and the only reason you can hold a decent edge is because the fins are so big.
Old    paperdesk            03-24-2004, 5:59 PM Reply   
LOL, I searched some earlier threads on it and found similar comments. Seems they're not even worth their low price. Oh well, what can you expect from Walmart sporting goods anyway.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-25-2004, 9:04 AM Reply   
I think the perfect entry level board is the Hyperlite Motive. Well rounded board with good (predictable & controllable) pop. Nice easy landings, and tracks well.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-25-2004, 9:12 AM Reply   
...add it can satisfy an advanced rider also.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-25-2004, 9:55 AM Reply   
I rode the Hydroslide Carbon 12 at INT Nationals last year. It works well. I am in the old guys division, so I am not trying temper tantrums or 900s, but for 180's, 360's and entry-level inverts, it works great and is quite inexpensive. For a slider board, it really fits the bill.

Before anyone scoffs at Hydroslide, they make a lot of boards for some big names under contract. You may actually have a Hydroslide made board under your feet.

They do have a great kid's board that is inexpensive and very easy to ride. It is high quality with proper inserts and poly blocking in the right places. All of their boards are well designed, made, and cost about 1/2 of the big name marketers.

Disclosure: I am a dealer and sell Hydroslide, Blindside, and Double Up. I just received a new Blindside Blade 142 that I will ride in competition this year. I will use the Carbon 12 as well for sliders and spins (it is light and small for me).
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-25-2004, 11:16 AM Reply   
Thanks J-Rod I was actually trying to work that in. But I had a brain fart or something and couldn't think of how to say it.
Old    paperdesk            03-25-2004, 12:17 PM Reply   
Thanks, guys. I'll check out the boards you mentioned, also which Hydroslide boards could you recommend?
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-25-2004, 12:28 PM Reply   
The Ozone and the Carbon 12 is the same shape, with different layups. The C12 has carbon fiber so it is a bit ligher and stiffer.

I do have a couple of 03 Ozones I let go cheaply.

rider@boarditup.com
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-25-2004, 12:31 PM Reply   
None.......

I don't think anyone on this forum would recommend one of their boards. The only reason Karl (boarditup) recommends them is because he is a dealer for them.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-25-2004, 1:05 PM Reply   
Here is my theory:

Get the best board you can for your style. If you can afford the Blindside, Double Up, Hyperlite, or any other premium board, get it.

However, if you cannot afford or don't want to afford a premium board, then the Hydroslide is the best of the discount brands, IMHO. You cannot buy Hydroslide at Walmart. It is available from me, West Marine, and several other retailers.

I do not recommend Hydroslide for those seeking high-end performance or can afford the premium board - I sell Blindside and Double Up for those riders. If it is between riding or not riding, then ride what you can. I rode it at INT Nationals to prove that it could be done.

As for the gear I carry. I am a user and rider first, a dealer second. I only sell the gear I use or will recommend to friends and family. I do not have to make a living at it - this is fun money. I got into the business to support my habit. So I guess you can call me a pusher.

Lets get out and ride. The WX conditions in MI are finally breaking - 60F today.
Old     (thor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-25-2004, 3:31 PM Reply   
I personally ride a Hyperlite board, but I saw the Hydroslide board and binding set-ups at Sportmart last weekend, and I have to say they don't look that bad for the price.

I have a 3 1/2 year old son who will probably start trying to ride this summer, and for the price of the kid's board package, it is a pretty hard deal to pass up for a beginner's board.

Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-25-2004, 5:42 PM Reply   
$140 plus shipping.