Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-20-2005, 9:15 AM Reply   
Interested in new board and bindings. I am a fan of supporting local businesses so I went to the local board shop. Priced out a board and bindings for around $800.00. Went online this morning - found the same package for $499.00 (along with reward points at wakeside). The board shop was cool - return if I didn't like it, great service, etc. - but 300 bones is a lot of money!! In fact, when I looked at there binding prices - they were $100 over MSRP! To me, that is gouging. I don't have too many other local options - what do you guys think?
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-20-2005, 9:21 AM Reply   
Buy the package from wakeside.It is good to want to support your local business but why support someone that is screwing you over.

MY OPINION
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-20-2005, 9:22 AM Reply   
save money man

i can see maybe MAYBE 50 bucks just for being local and you can actually go there, but 300 bucks isn't worth building a rep with a shop, that is gouging in my opinion...right in the eyes!
Old     (dustin_c_wilson)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-20-2005, 9:22 AM Reply   
Ask the shop what they can do if you show them what you can get it for online.
Old    wickedwake            07-20-2005, 9:47 AM Reply   
Im all about supporting the little guys too but Im a starving college student...So for now I will save the $$$ and give back later.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-20-2005, 9:57 AM Reply   
I agree with Dustin. see if they are willing to bring it down closer to what you can get it online. usually easier to return stuff if needed, when it is through a local outlet.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-20-2005, 11:10 AM Reply   
Supporting your local board shop is good, but it is important to also support the retailers that advertise here on WakeWorld. WakeWorld would not exist (or would at least be much less cool) were it not for the $$$ of these advertisers. If your local guy is asking over MSRP, support those who fund the existence of WakeWorld.
Old    patrick3ds            07-20-2005, 11:37 AM Reply   
try grizzly sports 1-866-444-BEAR. great deals.
Old     (wakebrdrnc)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-20-2005, 12:13 PM Reply   
Support your local shop and buy boardshorts, ropes, and other accessories there. They cannot charge you $300 more bones on those things. Buy the board package online. We started using the local shop for all that stuff and now on the norm get a 15-20% discount and occasionally they throw out a 40% discount.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-20-2005, 1:41 PM Reply   
i agree w/ dustin. just don't take the approach of "beat this price or I'm leaving." say just what you said in your post. you like local business and would like to support them, but you're not going to pay 300 on top just because you like them and they were cool. I think it would be worth 50-75 to have a local rep that I knew and that could warranty the stuff in the same area. FYI 30% of their price is about 550. it sounds like they have some room to work with so just make a reasonable offer and be prepared to show them what you can buy for online. be cool about it and see what they do.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-20-2005, 3:03 PM Reply   
Is that Wakeside in Angola Indiana? I bought a bunch of stuff from them this year. Then after two boards were stolen I came in looking for a deal on two replacement boards. They wouldn't deal so I just bought one board.

You'll save bucks on line. I like to support local shops but not when they won't work with you, I probably won’t frequent Wakeside any more.

Good luck!