Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old    robertt            07-06-2005, 12:31 PM Reply   
Me: 33 years old
6'5", 245lbs, size 13 feet
Just started, but ride several times per week

Current board: CWB Sol 141 with Mobe bindings.

Boat:
X7, but no ballast used. On my lake, its not allowed and we use the boat to ski alot...so its not a huge wake.

Options available:
1. Continue to learn with the smaller board until next year.
2. Order a Hyperlite EVA 147 from Grizzly along with 04 Temets at a huge discount and stick with that.
3. Same at option 2 but with the State 145 board.
4. ???????????????

Advice guys? I dont mind sticking with my current board, but on the other hand I dont mind spending a few hundred bucks to get the bigger/better board that actually fits me along with new bindings...I get out enough to justify it.

I know there is no substitute for technique, but at my size and weight coupled with the smaller wake of the X7 (about 3' but with great shape), I seem to cut through the wake rather than pop off it.

Help guys, I would like to make a decision soon before the summer slips away:-)
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-06-2005, 12:40 PM Reply   
If the Sol you have is the 05, it's a better shape than both of those you described. If not, go with the ERA. Rider friendly, sacs up when you want it to.

A friend ordered an 05 Hyprlite Parks from Grizzly for around $250. They sell their stuff super cheap.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-06-2005, 1:22 PM Reply   
CWB Absolute 141 or the Marius
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-06-2005, 4:38 PM Reply   
The State is stupid stay far far away from that POS.

The Era is a decent board, the Absolute is better but with our size I'd say that the ERA 147 will have a more surface area and with that small wake of yours might give you a little extra lift. Lobby for weight, thats your main goal for the summer, lobby hard!!!!
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-06-2005, 5:23 PM Reply   
yeah, I'd go with the Era also. I'm about your size too and I am about to trade up to it from a Balance 144.

Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-06-2005, 6:07 PM Reply   
If money really isn't the issue, I'd wait for the 06 products to be released. Some good new stuff coming from CWB, GB, LF and HL.
Old    robertt            07-06-2005, 8:09 PM Reply   
I dont mind paying for quality, but then again I love a bargain and since I pretty much suck how big of a difference can it make this year:-)

Another option is the DoubleUp Soul 145 with the HO Mantra bindings (they say same exact thing as Hyperlite 3060's...this package is under three hundred bucks.

Thoughts?
Old     (nautigirls)      Join Date: Dec 2000       07-06-2005, 8:16 PM Reply   
Big Heavy,
What is wrong with The State? I was told it was a good board.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-06-2005, 9:17 PM Reply   
I am of the mind that anytime you change the shape of a board for a particular edge you are only hurting yourself. When I ride switch I try to mimmick my regular riding, dumbing down your heelside edge and making the toeside edge sharper and easier to sink does not lead to good habits. That my beef, plus I couldn't stand the stupid thing.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-06-2005, 11:14 PM Reply   
Also the 05 parks from Grizzly are all factory blems, as well as the byerlys, and premiers.
~Tyler~
Old    robertt            07-07-2005, 7:41 AM Reply   
Thanks all, I still dont know what I want to do.

As a tie breaker, pick one:

1. ERA with my pick of Parks, Temet, or Byerlys (all probably 04 models).

2. Double Up Soul board with HO Mantra bindings.

Option 1 is about a hundred and fifty more.

Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-07-2005, 8:09 AM Reply   
Era with Temets.
Old     (dozzzy)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-07-2005, 8:09 AM Reply   
Spend the cash, go with option 1
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-07-2005, 8:50 AM Reply   
yeah no doubt....you will be a lot happier if you go with the Era but i would suggest getting the Era bindings if you can....nice and comfy and not that expensive!!!
Old    robertt            07-07-2005, 9:55 AM Reply   
Just ordered a blem 05 ERA 147 that has one small scratch on it...and a pair of temets. I cant wait to get it!

Thanks everyone.
Old    patrick3ds            07-07-2005, 10:21 AM Reply   
u will be happy with the temets