Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-11-2007, 7:46 PM Reply   
I don't really know too much about Mastercrafts. I'm hoping you guys can help me.

I'm thinking about getting the X-1. If I do is the KGB system worth it. I might just rip out the tanks and upgrade to a worthy sac maybe 750's in the rear and add the bow ballast. Is this too much?

One boat I'm looking at doesnt have the KGB. It just has two rear tanks. I would have to add the center and bow ballast myself along with upgrading the rear.

Or should I look at boat's with the KGB and just suppliment the factory system? From what I know, if I take out the rear tanks the gauges become useless. This is this correct, no?

What did you guys that own these do?
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-11-2007, 11:45 PM Reply   
I have an '06, and do not have the guages, that you mentioned. I recommend getting the triple ballast and upgrading the rear ballast. I put in v-drive sacs, and they work fine. I also added an integrated bow sac, which gives me about 200#, (others will disagree with that weight, but, that's my guess, 'cause there is not much room under the seats). I have also added custom formed lead plates on the bow floor, and installed the bow carpet over the top of them. That adds another 260#. When wakeboarding, I add another 500# in the bow, and the wake is very nice. For my ability, I do not need all of that ballast, however, when I fill the rear ballast, I just want to fill and go (and not worry about filling part way, etc.) With the 800# in the rear, I need the increased ballast up front. The v-drive sacs to work well for surfing, as well, so I'm glad that installed them.

I hope that helps, good luck with your decision.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-12-2007, 5:11 AM Reply   
There are no guages. Stock 3 bag system isn't quite enough. Get whatever the best deal is and go with that as you'll be upgrading the system anyways. Replacing the hard tanks with larger sacks is a must as well as adding quite a bit of weight in the nose.
Old     (dfwharvey)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-12-2007, 10:06 AM Reply   
I went with getting the upgrade to the KGB on my 06 X1. If you were to do the upgrade yourself properly you would need a ballast puppy, about 12-15 feet of hose, the switch and wiring, and a ballast bag. If you add the costs all together along with the time it takes to do the install you are probably better off just getting it from the dealer; then you can upgrade the rear sacks and add some weight to the front and you are set.

Like Stanfield said if the dealer is wanting more for the option that it would cost you (time and money) to do it then do it yourself. Otherwise have the dealer install it.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-12-2007, 11:52 AM Reply   
What's the KGB?
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-12-2007, 2:38 PM Reply   
I just leave the center sac full and save myself hundreds of dollars.
Old     (flamethewolf)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-13-2007, 8:20 PM Reply   
I just went from the stock ballast including KGB to the rear v drive and front integrated bow...

It made a huge improvement, and I normally just ride with my girl... I don't even notice that much of a difference when we add another 1000 pounds of people weight at this point
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-13-2007, 8:29 PM Reply   
woody's got the right idea. We always board with it full, and it handles the chop better with the center sac full. The only downside is if you trailer a lot, but its only what like 300 pounds?
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-13-2007, 8:56 PM Reply   
Pretty much everyone that is at the intermediate/advanced level takes out those rear tanks and adds bigger sacs The new sacs from flyhigh just clip in to the facorty sytem anyways so its simple.. I will 100% agree with NickHarvey in that its worth the $$ up front to have that factory installed from dealer. IF YOU WERE BUYING A NEW BOAT! But at this point if you weren't ordering a new one custom it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I would try and squeeze the dealer to add it (the center sac) as part of the sale in the end, but wouldn't break the deal.

I also agree in that the boat rides 100% better with weight in the belly, but I choose this route so would def either need an auto fill bow or cenetr sac. I would love to have both, but just don't have the time or the extra$$ to plumb in my bow sacs to an autofill integrated sac. I have the triple KGB, but also took out the rear tanks, but I only put 550's back there so I didn't have to monitor them and they fill to same size everytime. So I just flip the switch and when they are filled I see the overflow. The 750's were overkill for me in the rear

I leave the 375+- filled in the nose under the front seats rather than in the ski locker center because when you do put bigger sacs in the rear you need to add more to the front. So I just choose to leave the nose sacs filled under the seats rather than in the belly.

I run 550 on each side of engine
I run 300 stock center bag
I run 350-375 in the nose
With only my wife and 2 kids. If I have 3 or 4- adults in the cockpit I end up filling another 300lb sac all the way in the nose in the walkway and it gets huge and firm. I am by no means a pro so that is why I don't run that setup 24/7.
But my buds that are throwing everything in the book run
650's-700 on each side of engine
oversized belly bag so would say 350-400
and about 600-700 in the nose plus 4-5 peeps

To big for me for an everyday set, but damn fun once in a while
If you are just starting out and a beginner with the rear tanks empty I would always still run that cenetr sac full when pulling a beiginnner. It cleans up the wake at lower speeds by keeping the nose down.
These boats ain't easy to come by in our area so that would be a minor detail in my mind. You can easily add a pump switch and bag anywhere. or just slpice in to get a quick fix for time being til you cann get time to do it yourslef or take it in.

I would also upgraged to the new Acme 14.25X 14.25 prop. It is just plain sick how fast the hole shot is and how much smoother the boat runs at boarding speeds

Oh and to answer Ron's question.
KGB is Mc's signature upgraded ballast setup.
For the X-1 If I recall correctly the Triple KGB is 300 in the belly, 280lbs in each rear hard tank
Nautique calls it Launch control system if I recall
Malibu calls it MLS
and Supra Moomba calls it Gravity Ballast

(Message edited by xstarrider on July 13, 2007)
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-14-2007, 10:37 AM Reply   
Make sure you get a ski locker sac. Then put 750's in the rear, and just fill a 600lb bag and put it in the walkway when needed. Fly High's are my personal favorite, and my install took me all of 40 min, 10 of which was spent getting hte blood to stop after scraping my knuckles on the raw fiberglass. Watch your knuckles when pulling the hoses off and its a 20-30min job. BTW, I picked up my 750's here from another WWer and everything was done for under $500.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-14-2007, 6:57 PM Reply   
By woody (bwood) on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 2:38 pm:

quote:

I just leave the center sac full and save myself hundreds of dollars.

wouldn't it be like any other dead weight in the boat?
Just get lead or sand in that case and forget about a fat sac b/c it will get stinky over time.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-16-2007, 10:39 AM Reply   
Thanks guys, but I've pulled the X-1 from the list. It's just not enough boat for the money in my opinion.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-16-2007, 11:27 AM Reply   
Derby,I hear you and every other boat is too buying new except maybe a Sanger.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-16-2007, 11:47 AM Reply   
I know...I got a v215 to look at tonight at the price of a 5 year old CC or MC.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-16-2007, 11:49 AM Reply   
Let me add that the Supra's are in the game too. They are a much better value then the big three.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-16-2007, 11:58 AM Reply   
So what's the deal Derby, I have seen you actively trying to buy a couple of boats from the ads on here; are you just getting beat to the punch? I am just curious since I noticed a few of your offers.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-16-2007, 12:08 PM Reply   
Some arnt as advertised. Some over priced and I try to bring them down with in reason. I've tried new used. I'm very pick with my cash. You know how it goes.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-16-2007, 3:16 PM Reply   
If I were in the market and had some extra cash for a new ride Supra would def be #1 on the list in my mind. They have just stepped it up tremendously and the wakes are sweet. They ride awesome with the drop keel in rough water and have deep feel inside.

And hear you for sure on th adds for used boats. SOme peoples idea of showroom and immaculate are way differnt than mine. i drove 8 hrs one way on 2 occasions looking at 2 boats that were NOT AS ADVERTISED at all. Took me 5mos to find something o replace he old ride. Nothing pissed me off more. YOu just have to wait and eventually you find the perfect ride. I think some people just put their boat up for sale at a high price just to see if they can get it to go at that price and aren't really interested on moving it. Found that to be the case when I was thinking of upgrading.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-16-2007, 4:33 PM Reply   
Yeah I like the 22ssv...but it's a 23 foot boat

that's alot of boat.

The finish inside seems weird to me. Maybe their too plush with the thick carpet and really poofy seats. They are nice.

And with that said I am currently choosing between a v215 and the 22ssv. Both great deals but the sanger is 6-7 K cheaper.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-16-2007, 4:35 PM Reply   
I think my last sentence made up my mind.
Old     (louie)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-17-2007, 3:44 PM Reply   
A sanger whaaat. Are they still using ballast bags?