Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-12-2006, 7:48 PM Reply   
I have an 04 Centurion Lightning that I surf behind a lot. To build a good wake I have to list the boat to the side very hard, I estimate about 20 degrees. The list is so hard that we often fall off the swim deck, people often motor up and ask if we need help, motorists passing by on bridges have called 911 for us on several occasions and we’ve had the local police helicopter hover overhead to see if we were in need of assistance.

To get a face of the Vee on my Lightning to go on plane with the horizon the Lightning must be at about 20 degrees, see the picture. My best wake develops when the rub rail is very deep in the water and the Centurion lettering is in the water.

I think many other inboards are much more flat at the stern. I’m not sure where I’m going with this observation but it’s kind of interesting.
Upload
Old    surfdad            10-12-2006, 8:30 PM Reply   
LOL - Ed's rule-of-thumb for proper amount of ballast to add: Keep adding weight until police heli's hover overhead. :-)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-12-2006, 8:39 PM Reply   
The other thing to watch for if the difference between the amount of water in side the boat compared to the amount of water in the body of water your surfing in. As a general rule follow this equation:

Water in boat < water in lake
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-12-2006, 9:30 PM Reply   
if side to side is list...what is front to back ?
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-13-2006, 4:52 AM Reply   
Is your lightning a C4 variant?
We are not needing that drastic a list on our Centurion C4 for a decent wake.

The running angle or pitch of a boat (bow up/bow down) is often referred to as "trim".
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-13-2006, 5:28 AM Reply   
The old hull - not a C4. The C4 Lightning is supposed to surf much better.

Trim is what you do to make an attitude adjustment, I think the correct term is pitch.