Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-19-2005, 10:52 PM Reply   
Hi, I'm thinking about buying a boat, I've been boarding for about 7 years and need to step it up. I've been to all the boat shops in the city and there is virtually 0 selection (it's always like this). I don't want to spend a lot so I'm looking for a used wake boat.
Are there any Canadians (or others if you know) that can explain how this is done. What taxes would I have to pay? Duties? Why should or shouldn't I do this?
I'm looking to spend around 10 000$(can)
What do you think of the MC 190tri-star?
Justin

Please help!
Thanks in advance!

(Message edited by lives2wake on June 19, 2005)
Old     (derek_h)      Join Date: Oct 2004       06-20-2005, 5:40 AM Reply   
Justin I have been looking for a boat up here to. There are very few wakeboats around and if you find one they are way over priced. I hope to get a boat next year and I will be going over the border to get mine. The prices are way better in the US. You will have to pay GST @ the border. I would not even bother looking for a boat in Canada.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-20-2005, 5:56 AM Reply   
On top of GST, you'll need to pay duty too, which is going to absolutely kill you. I doubt it'll be any cheaper going to the U.S after all is said and done at the boarder.

What are you looking for, guys? Thinking of selling my Outback actually.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-20-2005, 5:58 AM Reply   
Sorry Justin, missed the part about you spending 10 K. I'd say keep your eyes pealed for an older Nautique. I know there was a real nice 2001 sold about 2 weeks ago in Muskoka for about 12 grand. There are deals to be had in Canada.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-20-2005, 6:53 AM Reply   
I'm sure there are a lot more wakeboard boats in Muskoka. Here in Winnipeg there isn't a whole lot of selection. We have our first Wakeboard boat specific dealer this year and they rarely get any used setups.

How much is duty? Is it a percentage of the price? How about a MasterCraft Tristar190? How is the wake? The pictures I have seen weren't very clear but it seems narrow at the back. Does this matter? I've found the same boat here in town for 10 000$ more than in the US.

Let me know!
Thanks,
Justin

(Message edited by lives2wake on June 20, 2005)
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-20-2005, 7:07 AM Reply   
For those guys looking for a boat in the US...

Portland Oregon has always been a great place... no sales tax in Oregon...

When looking at spending at $10k cdn... it will be tough no matter where you look. I would suggest being prepared to make cash offers... when you see a boat you like... getting trailered or sitting in someone's yard... make a written offer and knock on their door... you never know... they may sell...

Now back to the US issue.

You will have to pay GST on the CAD equivalent of the US purchase price of the boat and trailer. You will need a bill of sale show both the boat and trailer cost.
You will pay the provincial sales tax when you apply for your boat registration numbers.
You will also have to have the trailer inspected so you can get insurance and registration in your province. You will also pay provincial sales tax upon registration.

Again... I will re-interate... I would look in your local area for boats that are "ANYWHERE" (ie marina, storage, yards, trailered, at the lake...) Make sure you know what you are looking for... and then go make a qualified offer... You never know.. these people that are driving the older boats may have been contemplating about upgrading... but since their boat is older, no dealer wanted to touch their boat... so all of a sudden a guy comes up with $10,000 cash... they may just bite!

Remember... everything is for sale for the right price!
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-20-2005, 7:23 AM Reply   
Thanks Kyle. On the two lakes that I board on, I've never ever seen a wakeboarding specific boat. I see them being pulled on the highway everynow and then, but they are usually pretty new. I know of one place that has an older Supra..I suppose I could knock on their door.

Justin

What are the taxes like in Georgia?
Old     (jorellz)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-20-2005, 7:25 AM Reply   
Justin,
NO DUTY...
You should only have to pay GST. There is no duty on products that are made in North America. Especially vehicles/boats older then 10 years. Make a call to the customs office, but I spoke with them about 1 year ago and that was the case. The one thing is, you may have to produce a Cetificate of origin for the boat, I am not sure though. If so just ensure the seller has that for you before you buy.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-20-2005, 7:30 AM Reply   
Jason, I have also heard that too and the boat I'm looking at is an 88. I will call the customs office to get my sh*t straightened out and to hear if for myself.

MC tristar 190????
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-20-2005, 7:40 AM Reply   
Does it matter if I buy privately or from a dealer?
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-20-2005, 7:57 AM Reply   
No duty Jason? I've always paid duty on anything I've bought on Ebay (and everything I bought on ebay was produced in the U.S). Towers, life vest, wakeboards etc. Although, everything was shipped in parcels, and duty was always based on weight and the declared value of the product.

Any idea why?
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-20-2005, 7:58 AM Reply   
Sorry Justin, never seen the wake on a Tristar.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-20-2005, 8:28 AM Reply   
I just got off the phone with Canada customs and they told me that there would not be any duty nor excise tax. I would have to pay GST at the border and then pst when I license the boat. I also called the dealer and they would charge 1,25$/mile for transportation or I could go pick it up.
Old    alanp            06-20-2005, 10:05 AM Reply   
why do you have to tell customs that you just bought a new boat in the us? rather just tell them you are borrowing it and will return it to whomever at a later date.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-20-2005, 10:35 AM Reply   
Justin... For $10,000 CAD I think you will be looking for an older Nautique 2001... Malibu Skier, Ski Brendella, Ski Centurian, MC Pro Star...

YOU WILL BE LOOKING FOR A SKI BOAT... NOT A WAKEBOARD SPECIFIC BOAT... there is no such thing for $10,000 CAD.

There are a few MC Closed Bow Prostars out this way in BC... with towers etc...
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-20-2005, 11:03 AM Reply   
I just got off the phone with a guy that has a 87 MasterCraft for 13 000$ (closed bow, 350) with a fairly rough interior...I don't want to spend this much!
Old    riot            06-21-2005, 7:46 AM Reply   
Im from windsor canada, In february me and three friends picked up a 1983 ski nautique from Michigan.
The boat was 7500us. We drove over there one day with the cash in our pocket, made the guy write us up a fake recieipt saying that the boat didnt run and was a fixer up. The receipt said we only paid like 2500. So we paid duty on 2500 which was around $350 in duty(duty is pst,and gst) Got the boat over that day and was simple as pie. Plus we didnt even have the ownership for the trailer just the boat and no license plate on the trailer and we still got it over no prob.
Old     (jorellz)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-21-2005, 11:10 AM Reply   
Mike,
As far as I understand it...the reason you pay duty off of goods from Ebay etc is they are coming through a shipper and there is not usually proof that it is North American made. As well you are also paying a brokerage fee to the shipper ( i.e. ups ) for dealing with customs on your behalf.
If you can prove that the origin of any product is North American, then there should be no duty on goods...just respective national and provincial taxes.

Jase
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-21-2005, 12:06 PM Reply   
Thanks Jason, I didn't know that.

Well, I am seriously thinking of selling my Moomba, and will now considering shopping in the U.S for it's replacement.

Anyone in Ontario after a '99 Outback, drop me an email. The boat is in next to perfect shape - 270 hours.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-03-2005, 9:02 PM Reply   
I had problems with finances to pay for the Tri Star. The current owner wouldn't accept any form of payment other than cash and I was not willing to carry 8500$ over the border. The problem is that when u pay with a certified cheque for Canada to someone in USA, the money gets held by a holding company in excess of 30 business days. I've found that the best way to get around this is to pay through paypal or to set up a wire transfer(2days).
I hope this helps others who may want to buy in the States.
Justin
Old    tribal            07-04-2005, 7:43 AM Reply   
Mike,the reason your are paying duty on e-bay is it's being shipped UPS.Only buy from seller's who will ship USPS then you only pay a $5 border fee and GST.No PST,no duty.