Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-22-2005, 4:50 PM Reply   
Sorry to jump in with yet another opinion, but does anybody remember in the early 90s when teal was a really popular color for boats? Teal boats were everywhere for a year or three (it came on the heels of the original "neon" trend), and they sold very well. So by the mid 90s, I thought the teal trend was way played out anyway, but my group got a promo boat from MC in 96 - sure enough teal (with "plum" accents). I know, but it was a sponsorship/promo boat, so what 'cha gonna do? I can tell you we had a HELL of a time selling that boat when we were finished with it, even though it was perfect mechanically. Eventually unloaded it for thousands less than it was worth. It was the only time that we ever had trouble selling one of our promo boats. A trend is just that, a trend. I don't want to bag on anybody buying trendy color boats the past few years, because they do look cool, and I don't even own a boat at all right now so I would be happy with anything. I'm just sharing my experience of having trouble with a trendy color. From that point forward, I always requested our promo boats in a basic color (white, off-white, light grey, etc.) with a primary accent color (blue, red, black, etc.). Never again had trouble selling one.

As a plus, the white will hide water spotting and gelcoat scratches, whereas they will be very visible with a bright color. And white stays cooler to bare feet.

No matter how you decide, you'll have an awesome boat either way. I'm stoked for you! I apologize to all the teal boat owners reading this, I meant no discredit. They all RIDE the same, so my comments pertain only to the issue of resale value for a person (in this case J-Rod) who is considering a new purchase.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-22-2005, 5:02 PM Reply   
That's what i thought it would look like. I keep asking why they don't have an extra accent stripe on the x star so we could do it up the same way. Anyways that boat is sweet!!
I would jump on it and take it out this weekend to get it all broken in and ready to play with.
Summer is already wasting away.

Charles, I can't wait to see our boat when your through. From what i hear we're going with Fusion?
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       06-22-2005, 5:33 PM Reply   
pink & yellow with brown pin stripes... can't forget the tower... go with purple on that.
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-22-2005, 5:38 PM Reply   
Get the white one already before someone else grabs it. That thing is sick. You could be boarding behind it right NOW!
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-22-2005, 5:59 PM Reply   
Matthew

Every thing is in the works, hope to get all the speakers in the next few days.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-22-2005, 6:03 PM Reply   
J-rod

I will check the NVS tomorrow and see if they will match up with your tower.
Also let us know what subs you want to run, we can build the box the same time we are doing Evans.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-22-2005, 6:05 PM Reply   
No matter what the color, the wake will be the same, big and sic!

Is it actually going to be called the X1 next year?

The X-2 is my favorite wake. But my buddy sdboarder never uses his so I don't get to ride behind it.

I like the white with Orange accent the best. but Jrod's looks dope as well.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-22-2005, 7:23 PM Reply   
Charles,

Evan mentioned a single box on the drivers side to facilitate 2 12s. Is that what you're going with?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-22-2005, 7:31 PM Reply   
If so, I need one for 2 12" Kicker Comp VRs. My carpet is the same as Evans.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-22-2005, 8:56 PM Reply   
we ripped some panels out of Evens boat today so,,,a----I mean we removed the lower panel with care, And it looks like we will be able to pull it off. Give you a more heads up tomorrow.
I can also make you the jump seat if you are still looking. Let me know.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-22-2005, 9:27 PM Reply   
I'll give you a ring.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-23-2005, 8:03 AM Reply   
Git' R Done..... I kinda like Arun's idea though.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-23-2005, 8:07 AM Reply   
Guys, thank you for all of the feedback. I decided to wait until the orange boat comes in to compare them side by side. This will happen next week.
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       06-23-2005, 8:12 AM Reply   
The big question........

So what color are you going with J-Rod???????

we have all given you our ideas now what ya gonna do................???????
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-23-2005, 8:15 AM Reply   
Still undecided, but if the Orange looks as good in person as the white one does, I think I'll go orange. I'll keep you all posted.
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-23-2005, 10:00 AM Reply   
J-Rod, I knew that's the color you were leaning towards, GO FOR IT!!! you only live once, personally I'd pick ORANGE.
Old    jonkdogg            06-23-2005, 11:00 AM Reply   
J-Rod-

If the seats on the white boat are white and the seats on the orange boat are grey, the white seats are more likely to show the elements...you know when people get in your boat and their first step is right on your seat with their dirty flip flops...you take really good care of your boat, however, those houseboat (trainwreck) trips where the laziness factor tends to be a little more prevalent...houseboat trips are always worth a year of wear and tear on the interior...grey will hold up better than white in that instance.

Hope that helps...

Chris
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-23-2005, 11:06 AM Reply   
Thanks Chris. I belive the interior is the same. Just orange where there is currently red above.
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-23-2005, 11:14 AM Reply   
My family has an all white x-star and is is fairly easy to keep clean so that is nice. Also J-Rod i know you will probably have this boat for a while but resale on a white and red boat will be better than an all orange boat imo. Although the orange is pretty sick. so i guess im no help
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-23-2005, 11:32 AM Reply   
I think that is a good call to wait and see them side by side,b\c you already waited...no need to rush!
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-23-2005, 11:38 AM Reply   
Nobody steps onto my vinyl with shoes/flops.

Yes, if you can wait and see them side by side, that would be great -- my guess is that orange will win because you only live once.
Old    aceofdimondz            06-23-2005, 11:50 AM Reply   
I just got a new X2. It's black with a thick white stripe down the stide and 2 thin red ones outlining the white. It has white interior though obviously or it'd be gettin' real hot in my boat! I'm picking it up tomorrow! So excited! I'll post some pics next week. If I was you I'd go with my set-up cuz it looks the best to me but of your 2 favs I'd go with white. Orange will probably go out of style in a few years as you said. Good luck!

~Ashley

Basically my boat will look like this...

My baby...
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-23-2005, 11:59 AM Reply   
J-Rod

I have a solid colored hull(red)with white in the middle and if I were to buy a boat all over again I would have gotten the white hull with the red in the middle just for the one reason of all of the scratches on the lower portion from loading it on the trailer. When you are buying the boat you don't really look that far into the future about what it will look like on the bottom after a few dozen trips on and off the trailer but it doesn't look good.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-23-2005, 12:04 PM Reply   
ouch...that doesn't sound good.
Old     (d_rock)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-23-2005, 12:12 PM Reply   
I like both color schemes. The orange would be more noticable from far away, but if I saw the red pull up next to me at the lake, I would give a bigger compliment. Best to decide when they are sittin next to each other. Either way, how exciting!
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-23-2005, 12:52 PM Reply   
For the trailering reason alone, I would never get a non-white bottom boat. Still, orange from the water line up could look pretty sweet. Basically, a more orange version of the boat posted by Hahn.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-23-2005, 12:55 PM Reply   
yeah I just talked to someone else that said the bottom section will show all of the scratches and chips from rocks hitting it in tow. I take a few long tows a year. Sometimes in the rain even where the amount of road dirt is drastically increased.

Another concern for the orange boat. No concerns for the white.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-23-2005, 1:12 PM Reply   
After talkng to another person that warned me about wear and tear on solid color hulls, It's going to be the white boat. I just made the call.

What it comes down to is: The Orange boat looks a little cooler, but at a price. I hated seeing scratches in my cars and boats. I would rather have a boat that still gleems clean in 5 years. When looking at all of the pros and cons, the white boat had no cons except for the fact that it could be considered more ordinary.
Old    xtremrider            06-23-2005, 1:16 PM Reply   
Ok i will chime in also, i say go with the white, the only way it could be any better is if it didnt have the sticker on the side. I love very clean simple boats.
Old    bambamski            06-23-2005, 1:27 PM Reply   
The bottom of the white boat goes yellow over time. You have to take the industrial strength toilet bowl cleaner to it to get it back to the original white a couple of times a year. The coloured bottom doesn't look as bad and doesn't show that yellow scum.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-23-2005, 1:38 PM Reply   
I had a white-bottom boat and never had that problem. It never sits in the delta overnight. Maybe I didn't notice because the rest of the boat was tan and blue, but I will take that problem over chips and scratches.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-23-2005, 2:29 PM Reply   
Yes. Yellowing is usually from extended water contact and relatively easy to avoid or fix. Fading and scratching are a different story.

My 5 YR old white bottom / black-iris sided BU is white on the bottom and faded on the sides because my boat sits outside all year round on a lift at discovery bay. The sun is brutal on the colored gelcoat.
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       06-23-2005, 3:46 PM Reply   
Pat, who is the new Matercraft dealer around calgary now? Where is their showroom?
Old    ren            06-23-2005, 3:54 PM Reply   
So when do you take possession?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-23-2005, 3:58 PM Reply   
Saturday morning? Wanna go?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-23-2005, 5:03 PM Reply   
So it's the white huh?!

Scared of a little scratches?

I towed my boat to the Delta around 15 times if not more just last year and I don't have any scratches or dings,once it was even pouring rain on the way back.

I'm gonna go out there right now and take a microscope to it and I'll tell you if I find anything!
Old    bambamski            06-23-2005, 6:31 PM Reply   
I tow my boat 10,000 miles per summer and I've only ever had one rock ship on the very bottom. I never saw it until I had to do the tidy bowl year end cleaning on it last year.

I tow on a gravel road about 10 times a year as well. The trailer takes a beating though.

Jonathan
The dealer is actually up in Edmonton (Martin Equimpent). Bit of a drive but they're really offering great prices. You can get an X-2 cheaper than, a VLX, 22V, 22ssv ect. It's worth the drive IMO.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-23-2005, 7:35 PM Reply   
There was more to be concerned about with the orange boat. There were no concerns with the white.
It was like unwrapping a huge xmas present!

Here she is:

Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-23-2005, 7:40 PM Reply   
that boat is f'in sick. Great choice j-rod!
Old    walt            06-23-2005, 7:42 PM Reply   
Thats really nice !
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-23-2005, 8:26 PM Reply   
TOTALLY DOPE!!!
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-23-2005, 8:31 PM Reply   
Nice choice J-rod. Now do I haft to sign up for a pull?
Old    drewsky24            06-23-2005, 8:40 PM Reply   
FLIPPIN SWEET!!!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-23-2005, 9:13 PM Reply   
Thanks Guys

I'll be out Saturday and Sunday if you guys want to roll. I have to run light weigh the first day though. Maybe just run the stock ballast and do some wakeskating or something.
Old    sunsetterlxi            06-24-2005, 2:58 AM Reply   
I like the white one too. looking back the hardest thing to decide was the colors. the only thing that i might have done different is get another red stripe below the black, but i think that this looks good and i get compliments about it all the time.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-24-2005, 5:28 AM Reply   
Congrats, the colors look awesome!! If you do get yellowing(greening) on the bottom you can always use Starbrite Boat Hull cleaner, it is basicly an acid, it works great.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-24-2005, 7:40 AM Reply   
That boat's lame. You should get something cool.
Old     (xbar)      Join Date: May 2003       06-24-2005, 8:57 AM Reply   
Yeah really, what does color matter when you're just going to slap stickers all over it!
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       06-24-2005, 9:57 AM Reply   
Thanks Pat. I was wondering if it was up in Edmonton now. I am surprised to hear the X2 was cheaper than the VLX. I was checking them out at the boat show and I thought it was the other way. Anyways I didn't get into the numbers too seriously as I can't afford the boat I have now. + I hay not have been comparing prices for boats with similar options.
Old    bambamski            06-24-2005, 10:16 AM Reply   
Jonathan

The funniest part was that Martin was selling the X-2 with a 350hp engine cheaper than the Malibu guy was selling the V-ride. If any person bought a V-ride at that show over an X-2 they would have had to had a screw loose!

Have you been riding much? If you see me on the water flag me down.

Pat
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-24-2005, 10:18 AM Reply   
Sticker prices are actually comparible when you load them up, but there aren't many 05 VLXs left. Depending on who you are, dealers are firm on the VLX prices because of limited availabilty. There are more x-2s on the lots.
Old    jetgofish            06-24-2005, 10:30 AM Reply   
J-Rod - Very nice ... I like both boats, I think you picked a sharp boat and later down the road you won't regret it! Congrats my friend!

Great Dane - Can you hit me email at jetgoluvs2w8k@yahoo.com ... we are neighbors!

(Message edited by jetgofish on June 24, 2005)
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       06-24-2005, 10:45 AM Reply   
You have to be joking on the pricing. My goodness. Does Mastercraft have it's own speed control now? Just wondering if you had it and how it worked. or do you have WakeboardPro?

Haven't really been out yet. I have been swamped at work. All my lake buddies have been out of town. Hopefully get out on Sunday to ghost if it's at all decent. It's been a pretty disapointing year. How about you?

I will definately flag you down. Nice boat by the way.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-24-2005, 11:16 AM Reply   
MC has their own speed control system. I got a pull behind Evans boat and the system was dead on the whole time.

Thanks Teri
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-24-2005, 12:29 PM Reply   
So very sweet! Awesome choice dude.
Old     (twitch)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-24-2005, 6:02 PM Reply   
Pat

i was acctually gonna ask you if that was Martin... the shop looks pretty familiar

i found out last week that my mechanic is really good friends with the owner of that place...

Old     (balti)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-25-2005, 2:19 AM Reply   
not my pix gottem of www

Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       06-26-2005, 8:43 AM Reply   
Sweet ride J-rod... Nice choice on the colors!!
Old    bambamski            06-27-2005, 9:40 AM Reply   
Ya Jonathan, we got the MC speed control, it seems to work pretty well. Disappointing season so far as been an understatement!

I'm pretty much ready to move, Calgary weather SUCKS!
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       06-27-2005, 11:07 AM Reply   
Pat, I finally got wet on Sunday at Ghost. We were the only boat out there skiing and it was pretty calm. The water is still so muddy and full of pine needles from the rains. We were in the channel all afternoon and not too many sticks to dodge.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-27-2005, 6:19 PM Reply   
here's a pic taken on the water with only .3 hours.

Old    bambamski            06-27-2005, 6:36 PM Reply   
.3 hours? Shouldn't it come from the factory and dealer with 1 hour?

Looks great. What I found is that you need to weight the back down enough so the platform is under water. Keeps the splashing down to a min. I'm sure you won't have a problem weighting it down though.

(Message edited by bambamski on June 27, 2005)
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-27-2005, 6:44 PM Reply   
that look so awsome. congrats again
Old     (shawnmdarnell)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-27-2005, 7:03 PM Reply   
that is one of the best looking x2's i have seen. just a thought, what about getting rid of the orange and the spider web in the decal, it would give a little uniqueness to it at separate it from everyone else
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-27-2005, 8:24 PM Reply   
Marwan: Thank you!

That's exactly what I planned on doing with the graphics.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-27-2005, 8:48 PM Reply   
Nice ride J-Rod.

BTW - For people concerned with colors & resale value, my last boat, a Malibu, was white, red, purple & grey. After 4 years & around 300 hrs, only took 2 weeks to sell it, 5k less than I paid for it new. I have already had offers over what I paid on my white, blue & green SAN. For whatever you like best, don't worry, there is someone else out there with your tastes in the market.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-27-2005, 9:28 PM Reply   
that is a nice looking ride.congrats again

I think that would be pretty phat if you did that with the graphics cuss the orange doesn't really go that good with red,not bad don't get me wrong.

Old    chasejames11            06-27-2005, 9:29 PM Reply   
im just jealous you can afford one!!! ive only ridden in i/o with a little wieght added
Old     (trojanman)      Join Date: May 2002       06-27-2005, 10:20 PM Reply   
Hey Jrod... just bought a ballast kit that plumbs in 2 fligh high v drive sacs and adds 800 lbs all with the touch of the stock ballast buttons, really happy with how it works in my X-2 -

How much are you planning to run in her - we use stock ballst, plus the two 400 sacks that fill up with the stock pumps, and then an additional 700 in the nose area and into the walk way with lead.. the wake is sick

Congratulations on your new girl,, i have had mine two months and already have 80 hours, and love every second..

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-28-2005, 6:30 AM Reply   
My boat will stay a couple hundred yards from the launch ramp, so I am tyring not to deal with sacks. My plan is to run the stock ballast + 1000 in lead. Hopefully that does the job.

Sounds like you have her slammed! I bet that wake is nasty!
Old     (trojanman)      Join Date: May 2002       06-29-2005, 12:22 AM Reply   
it can definetely get that way
Old    jetgofish            07-01-2005, 9:10 AM Reply   
So here I am yesterday (Thursday) on my way home from work sitting on the 580 cruzing by Ski World (I hate this part of my commute 60 boats all waiting for some one to tow ... ARGH) any how so I'm dreaming of when I get my own boat and checking out all the new MC's at Ski World, when all of a sudden I see this pimp ass X2 with a WW sticker on the side ... at closer glance I see it's J-Rod!!! J what's up? I'm hoping you were taking your baby back for a check up and nothing of significance? By the way SWEEEEET color scheme... also like the black and orange one you happened to be parked next to!
Old    jonkdogg            07-02-2005, 10:08 PM Reply   
looks nice j-rod
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-03-2005, 5:09 PM Reply   
that looks really nice!!! gives the boat a little color while keeping it very simple.
Old    foamy            07-03-2005, 9:22 PM Reply   
get the white one it will saty in style longest