Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-24-2005, 12:46 PM Reply   
Anyone tried one of these? Some sort of shock spring tower mounted thingie.

I wonder what the benefit would be?

Once the rope is loaded it seems to me that it doesn't matter if it's loaded against something that will move once released -- since it won't release until the rider has already left the wake?

Does this thing do anything more than put the stretch back into the non-stretch rope?

I didn't get much out of the explanation on the site. But they sponsor people, so the product must be great right.

www.airsling.com (pics from site)

Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-24-2005, 12:48 PM Reply   
WTF?

No thanks!
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-24-2005, 12:55 PM Reply   
if it comes with that driver and spotter in the picture, Ill take it!!! otherwise it doesnt make and sense.
Old     (kevin_rx20)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-24-2005, 2:05 PM Reply   
I can see what it does...but I don't know how much it would actually help. I guess it would take a little bit of stress off of your arms and such. And it would give you an extra 3 feet.
Old    drewsky24            06-24-2005, 2:31 PM Reply   
That looks dangerous, if you are pulling a big rider yankin on that thing and he falls it might slingshot the handle into the boat.
Old     (smokedawg311)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-24-2005, 2:43 PM Reply   
looks like someone who doesnt know doo doo about wakeboarding trying to come up with some gimic crap to make a dime. haha. looks like something out of an infomercial.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-24-2005, 2:47 PM Reply   
let's just use bungee ropes.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-24-2005, 3:12 PM Reply   
I agree that in theory it seems to put the stretch back in non-stretch ropes. My curiosity is why a rider like Shapiro would sign with them if the thing doesn't work. Sure, could be just for the money, but my impression is that Darin is not hurting for money, even with the change in board sponsorship. Is he going to use these at "Ride the Spot?" Why would he agree to something that would make it more difficult for his students to progress?

Then again, he did take that Toyota sponsorship a few years back, and the boat they gave him was a total P.O.S.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-24-2005, 3:37 PM Reply   
Did you watch the promo video? Kind of funny when they ask "How do you like it?" and pro goes, basically, "I don't know. It was all right." Not exactly a ringing endorsement. Plus, the pros weren't exactly ripping it up...though wake looked washy.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-24-2005, 8:02 PM Reply   
wasnt that watson that said that? looks like they gave him a quick pull or two and dropped the question on him unsuspectingly. i remember watching the video a few nites ago and laughing a bit at it. i mean it doesnt even showcase the slingshot...err...airsling.
Old     (nautyboy)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-24-2005, 11:13 PM Reply   
I have a new product I'm working on. It's basically a nitro kit that substantially increases the engine RPM just as the rider hits the wake (rider has a sensor mounted to his board which communicates with the onboard GPS system). This boost of energy creates an explosive pop. Anybody want to be a "Team Rider"?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-24-2005, 11:23 PM Reply   
another attempt at spam!
Old     (cable_rocker)      Join Date: Nov 2004       06-25-2005, 12:47 AM Reply   
with the airsling you can do air tricks in the flat like the cable park.

when you lose the wake you get extra pop from the wake an come much higher, the landing is a little bit easyer.
and all the punch from the line is not so hart so you dont fall so fast when you do a mistake.

the only problem ist when you ride this thing
and come to a other boat with no airsling, the ride is complet different.
so nobody ride it couse you have every time new conditions.

i can do a s bend at the cable park and with airsling in the flat!
who of you guys cann do it wake to wake?

p.s.: sorry for my bad english.......

(Message edited by cable rocker on June 25, 2005)
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-25-2005, 7:06 AM Reply   
Some info I found.

"There was a question posted earlier about whether a stretchy rope wouldn't do something similar to the air sling"
How would you compare the two?

Stretchy rope isn't the same at all. The air sling is similar to cable skiing. when loaded it gives you an upward pull on take off.
Many riders have commented on the landings. The air sling bumps you on a hard landings. Riders doing mobes will benefit due to the decreased stress on the shoulders.

"What happens with the handle on the air sling when you fall, does it recoil into the boat like a stretch rope does?"

No. The airsling rides, feels and reacts very different from a strechy rope.
The amount and location of the travel and the fact that it is controlled (unlike a strechy rope) prevents the handle from recoiling into the boat.

Darin made the comment that it makes raleys easier.

Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-25-2005, 7:28 AM Reply   
Only dad's are up surfing the internet this early. Oh and those of us just going to bed. Lol!
Old    ballnchainman1            06-25-2005, 7:37 AM Reply   
I know you guys are skeptical about anything new, but I have been riding with the Air Sling now for 3 months. I can tell you that you can go back to riding without it, but it is almost like going back to a standard Pylon from a tower or extended pylon. I don't know if it will ever be as popular as towers are, but I know it does get me up in the air much easier, and helps my old ass shoulders. Anyone in central Florida who would like to come down and try it lemme know. That way you don't have to take someone elses opinion.

Geno Y.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-25-2005, 8:28 AM Reply   
Hahn have been up for hours. Posted after returning from Sunriver dropping Sean off for his Triathlon.

Hey Geno what's up. Did you get your new boat yet?
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-25-2005, 9:35 AM Reply   
The inventor is probably one the most wakeboard un-friendly persons I have ever met.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-25-2005, 11:43 AM Reply   
Geno- Was this designed for wakeboards or hydrofoils (air chairs)? I'd like to try it, but I'm in California. It kinda looks like a $3300 tower extension. Are there benefits other than a higher rope position and less yank from the rope on landings?

For those who don't know who Geno is, he is a very good wakeboarder and probably the best foiler in the world. He's also a good guy.
Old     (grenade)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-25-2005, 11:47 AM Reply   
I just got from ride the spot and the air sling is used to learn raley based tricks.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-27-2005, 12:21 PM Reply   
Went to the spot as well...the airsling works really well learning raley based tricks. It picks you up and lets you down softer than you usually ride...less arm-jerk. It is a great learning tool and fun as well. The shock is adjustable for each rider by changing the air pressure.
Old    michaelvinczii            07-02-2005, 10:30 PM Reply   
I hear great things about this rig and will get to use one soon as one of the co-inventors (Jessie Wilson) who works in a ski show with me had imput on this item . Will soon get to try it out and sure it will have its benefits. It is designed for sky-skiing but has the same impact and benefits for wakeboarders. Lookng forward to it and will post after i try it out.