Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (whirli_7)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-15-2013, 8:48 AM Reply   
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/15/f...-detroit-2013/
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-15-2013, 9:17 AM Reply   
Nice! I dig it.
Old     (jperkinsttu)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-15-2013, 9:29 AM Reply   
Saw that too. Looks pretty mean. I like it
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-15-2013, 9:41 AM Reply   
Need to make identical to that one! that thing is sweet!
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-15-2013, 9:57 AM Reply   
I know it's just a concept at this point but I'm sure we will see a lot of these features in the next F150. It's really not that wild of a design.

I'd be pretty embarrassed if I were GM right about now.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       01-15-2013, 10:03 AM Reply   
Sick!
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-15-2013, 10:05 AM Reply   
Wow, a gasser that i would accually buy but then again if they put this into production, they would do a superduty also
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-15-2013, 10:06 AM Reply   
That right there might be my first Ford product & first truck. Guess I should hold out
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-15-2013, 10:07 AM Reply   
looks like Nautique designers built it. Too square and cold feeling for me.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-15-2013, 11:03 AM Reply   
"I'd be pretty embarrassed if I were GM right about now".

I've thought that a couple of times too. GM is still more conservative than ford with their designs.

When I first saw the Raptor I thought this. But then all of the sharp angles and aggressive body lines started to lose their appeal to me. While the new concept looks really awesome to me right now, I wonder if it will appear more dated later on. GMC trucks still have a timeless look to me. Time will tell I guess, but right now, I would love to have a truck that looks like that concept Ford. Also, last time I shopped Ford, their truck was 10,000$ more for a comparably equipped GMC truck.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-15-2013, 12:23 PM Reply   
Looks similar to the current Ram trucks to me. I would rock one in a minute.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-15-2013, 3:34 PM Reply   
Its great that Ford is using the Eco Boost in this new design. But I think somthing all the company's need to make happen is better MPG. Yea it's great it looks like a huge Tuff Tonka truck for the Flat Biller, Iron Cross Crowd, But how about making the truck Lighter so you don't need a 400+ HP motor so it can get out of it's way. And a Honest 24+ MPG is that to much to ask for? IMO the one thing people constantly complain about AFTER they buy somting like this is how crappy the MPG is. GM admits each year American car company's focused on PERFORMANCE. Example each year the cars got a bit faster and handled better. While Jap cars focused on Reliabilty and MPG. Just my Opinion but they could all go on a Diet and lighten up on the Drive to towards Performance. Do you need a truck that go's 14's in the Quarter? and will pull Tractor threw the Mud! For some yea! But for the most of us we just want reliable cost effectieve way to tow our rig's to the lake where we can spend our money on whats super important. GUNS, BOOZE & LADY'S! LOL
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-15-2013, 5:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Its great that Ford is using the Eco Boost in this new design. But I think somthing all the company's need to make happen is better MPG. Yea it's great it looks like a huge Tuff Tonka truck for the Flat Biller, Iron Cross Crowd, But how about making the truck Lighter so you don't need a 400+ HP motor so it can get out of it's way. And a Honest 24+ MPG is that to much to ask for? IMO the one thing people constantly complain about AFTER they buy somting like this is how crappy the MPG is. GM admits each year American car company's focused on PERFORMANCE. Example each year the cars got a bit faster and handled better. While Jap cars focused on Reliabilty and MPG. Just my Opinion but they could all go on a Diet and lighten up on the Drive to towards Performance. Do you need a truck that go's 14's in the Quarter? and will pull Tractor threw the Mud! For some yea! But for the most of us we just want reliable cost effectieve way to tow our rig's to the lake where we can spend our money on whats super important. GUNS, BOOZE & LADY'S! LOL
Have you checked out the MPG on a Tundra or a Nissan?
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-15-2013, 6:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
Have you checked out the MPG on a Tundra or a Nissan?
Poor MPG's is all a big conspiracy by our government and the oil companies Robert. I've seen many documentaries and countless accounts online that prove it.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-15-2013, 6:59 PM Reply   
Before people started caring about MPG and people drove lifted 4X4's as daily driver’s MPG was something most didn't care about. Most people got out of those rigs and got into a 2nd more fuel efficient car and then only drove the truck or SUV when they had to. If the Big 3 want us to start thinking about getting back into TRUCKS and SUV's MPG has to be better then 11-14 Mpg. Are you going to buy a new 30 or 40 thousand dollar Truck just so it can sit in the driveway and tow your boat to the lake 2 or 3 times a month, I don't think so, your current truck with 100 thousand miles on it does that just fine.
Contractors and people that can’t do with out a truck have no choice. They are gonna buy what ever they like and not worry as much about the gas MPG because all the current trucks are somewhat close in MPG.
Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-15-2013, 7:45 PM Reply   
i f u watched the video or read the features list you would know that this truck has multiple new features other than ecoboost to improve fuel economy. The atlas is a concept, its made to look cool not practical. I would suspect that when the 15 f150 is into production to even resemble the atlas you will have to purchase the top trim level and still add a level kit or lift and tires. Who knows if all the atlas features will make it to production and for that matter if all the fuel savers will even make a noticeable difference but all of the "big 3" are working toward for efficient trucks.
Old     (whirli_7)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-16-2013, 6:10 AM Reply   
I was reading some stuff on it in another article - the goal is to be class leading. If you watched the video there is some pretty cool on the fly aerodynamics adjustments it makes, and they've done something with the wheels too to increase MPG. They're also talking some radical frame stuff, looking for a 700 lb weight reduction over the current F150 while increasing capacity.

Last edited by whirli_7; 01-16-2013 at 6:14 AM.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-16-2013, 8:21 AM Reply   
Here you go if you're looking for better mpg in a truck...

Check out this article from @FOXNews. Via Motors plannin 70 mpg off-road pickup truck:
http://fxn.ws/V4YU2K
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-16-2013, 8:53 AM Reply   
If fuel economy was truelly the issue we would have heated fuel vapor injection motors.
Hell even look at the cummins 4bt swaps into half tons.
With the boost up you can get 300hp and very good mileage.
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-16-2013, 9:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowwboy View Post
If fuel economy was truelly the issue we would have heated fuel vapor injection motors.
Hell even look at the cummins 4bt swaps into half tons.
With the boost up you can get 300hp and very good mileage.
This^ 100%, my mind is still blown that there are no half tons with diesel yet, I know ford reaslesed a statement saying that it will decrease sales for the superduty, which is true, but i think alot of half ton truck owners that dont think they need a superduty could fall in love with a diesel half ton. And no an ecoboost does not pull like a diesel.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-16-2013, 10:53 AM Reply   
I would buy a half ton diesel in a heartbeat. I want the power and mpg, without the hd suspension.
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-16-2013, 11:40 AM Reply   
They announced a 3.0L v6 diesel for the '14 grand cherokee. Hopefully that will make it into the ram 1500 soon.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/14/2...-detroit-2013/
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-16-2013, 11:43 AM Reply   
This thread is boring without actual pics attached!
Attached Images

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-16-2013, 11:44 AM Reply   
I'm going to light up the bed of my truck like that as soon as it thaws out around here. I really dig that and it would be nice for those late evenings when I am trying to find stuff in the back while loading up the boat.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-16-2013, 11:57 AM Reply   
I really like the interior...rugged on the outside but looks luxury inside and clean sleek look.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-16-2013, 12:21 PM Reply   
The roof rack system the intergrated is a awesome Idea I like how it added a design feature/body line to the windshield.and at the same time added a feature that you might no use all the time but its their when you need it
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-16-2013, 12:32 PM Reply   
Steve I didn't notice all the aero stuff that cover the grills and lowers the airdam. I think that's pretty cool. The Ford Focus has shutter style grills in the the front that close and give it better MPG. Like someone said its a Concept and Im sure it will get watterd down by the time it comes out.

It would be intresting to see the Air Drag #'s. the big #3 should post numbers and compete towards getting better MPG threw better Aero design. Its free MPG The 700 LB weight reduction is a great start.
Old     (whirli_7)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-16-2013, 1:16 PM Reply   
Last year i was shown a picture of a cummins inline 4 in a nissan Titan. apparently the next gen Titan will have a cummins. There is a partnership there from what i was told.
Old     (bigd1031)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-16-2013, 5:58 PM Reply   
I have never understood why they don't put diesels in half tons. I have lived all over the world and they are popular everywhere but here. Long engine life, good gas mileage, tons of torque, and great HP with a turbo or two. I would buy one in a heartbeat. Hell, Toyota and Nissan even have them in their small truck lines.

Regardless, never been a Ford guy but if that comes out looking like it does in the photos I would be very interested.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-17-2013, 12:56 PM Reply   
It's a concept, nothing more. Most of the cool stuff will be stripped before production like most concept vehicles.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-17-2013, 1:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
It's a concept, nothing more. Most of the cool stuff will be stripped before production like most concept vehicles.
Thanks for ruining my hopes...guess I wont ever own a Ford then.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       01-17-2013, 5:51 PM Reply   
GM is putting a light duty Duramax in the 14' half tons!!!!!!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-17-2013, 6:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatTexasBoy View Post
They better make them look better while theyre at it! GM trucks/cars are outdated
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-17-2013, 7:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
They better make them look better while theyre at it! GM trucks/cars are outdated
Wrong:

Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-17-2013, 7:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
Wrong:

Minus that ferrari/viper knockoff lol

Guess I should have stated trucks/suvs
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-17-2013, 7:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Where did you see that?
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-19-2013, 7:08 PM Reply   
Looks pretty cool to me. It will be interesting to see how much of it sticks in the actual production truck. The Ecoboost is the real deal. I started wrenching back at the Ford dealer here a few weeks back and have been checking the Avg. MPG these trucks are getting via the info screen. I see 21-22mpg on them all the time. Have not seen one under 21MPG. Thats impressive for a full size truck. Hell my wifes 2012 Escape with the V6 only gets 22.5MPG Avg. In the month I have been back at the Ford dealer everybody I talk to loves their Ecoboost. They have had a few bugs in the EB but for the most part its a HUGE hit with consumers from what I have seen/heard.
Old     (LD50)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-21-2013, 9:32 AM Reply   
I was screaming for a diesel half ton option right up until the point where government regulations killed so much of the benefit of having it in the first place. They're still great for those that need a bigger truck to pull a lot heavier loads but just don't make as much sense in half tons anymore. As soon as they required the ultra low sulfur diesel, the extra refining and formulations made it more expensive than gas. It made a lot more sense when diesel was cheaper than gas and you could get better mileage. Now you're lucky to break even with fuel expenses compared to a gas motor. Then they came out with all the new emissions requirements. Diesel particulate filters and urea injection in the exhaust systems. Even more wasted fuel economy, especially in the DPF systems that burn a ton of extra fuel during the filter regeneration process not to mention how much they've choked these motors. Add in 15 quart oil changes, fuel filter changes and generally more expensive maintenance and the gap grows. Unless your towing heavy there's just not as much benefit anymore to justify the 5-7K upgrade to a diesel. Plus, the only way your going to get the full potential out of it is to spend another 2-3K to modify the exhaust and tune it to bypass the emissions which leaves you with no warranty on the 7K motor.

There's a very good reason the big 3 all killed their half ton diesel projects. It's still a great idea but they saw the writing on the wall and knew it would be throwing money down a hole. The new trend is going to be eco boost type motors - turbo direct injection. They give diesel-like low end performance with gas engine benefits. It's actually a shame especially considering some of the advancements that have been coming along for biodiesel production. There's just too much contradiction with all the regulations. You need to make more efficient trucks but here are all of these new emissions requirements that kill mileage and here is a list of 50 new safety requirements that will add another 500 pounds to the trucks you make.
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-21-2013, 11:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
No, no there not.
Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-21-2013, 11:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD50 View Post
I was screaming for a diesel half ton option right up until the point where government regulations killed so much of the benefit of having it in the first place. They're still great for those that need a bigger truck to pull a lot heavier loads but just don't make as much sense in half tons anymore. As soon as they required the ultra low sulfur diesel, the extra refining and formulations made it more expensive than gas. It made a lot more sense when diesel was cheaper than gas and you could get better mileage. Now you're lucky to break even with fuel expenses compared to a gas motor. Then they came out with all the new emissions requirements. Diesel particulate filters and urea injection in the exhaust systems. Even more wasted fuel economy, especially in the DPF systems that burn a ton of extra fuel during the filter regeneration process not to mention how much they've choked these motors. Add in 15 quart oil changes, fuel filter changes and generally more expensive maintenance and the gap grows. Unless your towing heavy there's just not as much benefit anymore to justify the 5-7K upgrade to a diesel. Plus, the only way your going to get the full potential out of it is to spend another 2-3K to modify the exhaust and tune it to bypass the emissions which leaves you with no warranty on the 7K motor.

There's a very good reason the big 3 all killed their half ton diesel projects. It's still a great idea but they saw the writing on the wall and knew it would be throwing money down a hole. The new trend is going to be eco boost type motors - turbo direct injection. They give diesel-like low end performance with gas engine benefits. It's actually a shame especially considering some of the advancements that have been coming along for biodiesel production. There's just too much contradiction with all the regulations. You need to make more efficient trucks but here are all of these new emissions requirements that kill mileage and here is a list of 50 new safety requirements that will add another 500 pounds to the trucks you make.
This. not to mention by the time you add the price of the diesel option to the truck you might as well buy the 3\4 ton. You will never make up the $7-10k you paid for the diesel in fuel over opting for the eco. The eco is only 1k on the fx4. So not even including maintenance costs you would have to save 6-9k in fuel just to make it worth it not to mention with 1\2 truck and suspension you probly wont see a much greater tow cap. You can get an f250 powerstroke for around 10k more than a loaded 150.
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-21-2013, 12:07 PM Reply   
^ right, but it would be cool though!! but you got to remember alot of people dont want the 3/4 suspention, thats the main reason why it would sell.
Old     (whirli_7)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-22-2013, 5:26 AM Reply   
this is not a gas versus Diesel post.... but, those guys who say you pay a premium for a diesel over a half ton, I was just pricing trucks on Ford.com... I found you pay a $4K premium for a 1/2 ton over a 3/4 ton.

I looked at the cheapest models that you could get a 6.2engine with a 4 door cab and a 6.5ft box.

F250... $35,985 6.2 Gasser
F150... $39,830 6.2 Gasser
F250... $44080.... 6.7 Powerstorke
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-22-2013, 8:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
They better make them look better while they're at it! GM trucks/cars are outdated
It's all personal preference I guess. In the 1/2 ton class, the GMC is still may favorite. The current F- 150 just looks over trimmed to me. I still like a simple, boxy looking truck.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-22-2013, 8:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
It's all personal preference I guess. In the 1/2 ton class, the GMC is still may favorite. The current F- 150 just looks over trimmed to me. I still like a simple, boxy looking truck.
Im a gm guy but i like unique, exotic, different from the norm looking things. Im a mint green lambo w/ black matte wheels kind of guy.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-22-2013, 10:07 AM Reply   
That's because the 6.2 is standard on the super duty where as on the F150 you have to buy a more premium model.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-23-2013, 8:54 AM Reply   
That must be a stripped down Powerstroke. The new Superduty Diesels are about 60-70K aren't they?
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-23-2013, 10:54 AM Reply   
62,430..... f-250is a fully loaded nav/sunroof/fx4/ 6.7
53,540..... f-150 is a fully loaded platnuim nav/sunroof, ecoboost
Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-23-2013, 2:03 PM Reply   
^^^^ Exactly. So now add 9k to the price and that is there reason there is not half ton diesel.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       01-23-2013, 3:45 PM Reply   
For the cost of these things it doesn't matter how much MPG they get. If you afford one of these, you don't need to worry about the gas. Just like buying a new wake boat.

What I'd like to know is what happened to affordable, simple, reliable, durable and powerful work trucks? I think the best Ford trucks were '80-'97. Little changed over those 17 years because it was a simple reliable design that just plain worked. Now you can't even order a bare bones truck, they all have all sorts of yuppie luxury stuff in the base models that adds unnecessarily to cost and adds more cost and effort to maintain.
Old     (whirli_7)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-24-2013, 6:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by michridr69 View Post
62,430..... f-250is a fully loaded nav/sunroof/fx4/ 6.7
53,540..... f-150 is a fully loaded platnuim nav/sunroof, ecoboost
I think you proved my point.... You can get a half ton all fu fu'd up and pay way more than a guy like me who just wants the diesel engine in a 4-door 3/4ton 4x4 package.

and the 6.2 isn't available in the XL package in the F150, you have to move to the XLT in the half ton to get it, so not apples to apples in my comparison there.
Attached Images