Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-11-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
Ok, let me give you a quick background. I avoided these for about 7 years after blowing an eardrum and tearing up my body! Last year I starting trying them and landed 4 w2w in the matter of 10 tries or so. I thought I had it down, but then I started getting wrecked on them hard again (usually from getting pulled out the front and catching the nose of my board) and couldn't land anymore for the rest of the year.

So Alan (on these boards) had suggested I try some at slower speeds which I have done 3 times over the winter. That has helped ease the crashes and allow me to try them more often. I usually get around in good position but don't quite get the handle. I have gotten the handle a few times but then the handle pulls me out the front over the nose of my board after I've landed.

So.....I know the answer seems to be pull harder or wait to spin (pop, pull, pass) but I need more specific instruction at this point. I watch video after video of this trick in slo mo but so many people do it differently. I often here to pull with both hands (which I try to do) but I'm surprised at many people I see that have already let off their front hand when they are leaving the wake. If I do that, then I can never seem to get the handle close enough to pass.

So the things I want to know is where is your handle approaching the wake...out a little bit so you have room to pull or in close to the hips so the handle is tight to your body? Do you starting pulling (not spinning) up the wake or do you not pull at all until you're at the peak of your jump? Do you start turning your head as you pull or leave your head straight (looking at the 2nd wake) until you feel that you've pulled the handle to and/or past your back hip?

I know these details sound crazy, but it just isn't clicking for me the way I'm appoaching it right now. I can do TS 3's no problem though. And I don't think the issue is line tension as I use a drift edge in a squatted position.

HELP!

P.S. I've posted this before, and not sure if it helps as a reference, but at 4:05 of this video is the first one I ever landed...and yes I was excited and acted like a big dork! I would like to throw them with my knees bent more in the air which I've been trying to do, but at this point I'll take anything!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7menC2BTUs