Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-12-2003, 7:52 AM Reply   
I saw this in Surfer Magazine. A hard plastic housing for $269. Looks like the prices are coming down. Maybe this is old news but I thought I'd share.

http://www.epiccam.com/
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-12-2003, 8:15 AM Reply   
I have one that I'll be doing a review on. For the price it's a really nice housing.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-12-2003, 8:18 AM Reply   
Bill, you have the one I mentioned or another one?
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-12-2003, 10:58 AM Reply   
The one you mentioned, from Epic Cam.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-12-2003, 5:57 PM Reply   
Thanks Blabelmooch!

Bill what kind of setup are you running with the housing? I was thinking about picking one of these up.

Old                12-19-2003, 4:52 PM Reply   
Kung Fu Wake - I would strongly encourage you to pick one of these up. I think that you will be extrememly happy with your purchase and it should provide hours of enjoyment for the whole family.

Holby
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-20-2003, 7:26 AM Reply   
Sony doesn't sell their HandyCam line of UW housings in the US but occasionally you see them on Ebay and you can order them from overseas dealers. $200-300 and full manual controls.

http://search.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/ss_sony_handycam_marine_pack_underwater_housing.ht ml
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-20-2003, 1:36 PM Reply   
I have a Sony TRV-20 miniDV cam in the housing. We've done some more testing the last couple of days and it's worked really well, the footage from the tube turned out great using a moderate fish-eye lens. We need more practice setting things up but I'm happy with the results. The housing has worked perfectly, no leaks and simple to use.
Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-20-2003, 1:38 PM Reply   
Bill, are you putting together some footage from Friday that you'll post on Wakepics?
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-20-2003, 2:48 PM Reply   
Actually I'll post it here with an article about the housing.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-28-2003, 11:58 PM Reply   
so where's that article/footage bill? :-) can't wait to see/read about it.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-06-2004, 5:09 PM Reply   
Bill - looking forward to the write up on the epic cam housing. Are you able to control the zoom with the epic housing?

Also, has anyone seen/used this camera housing? http://www.dive-equinox.com/storm_chaser.shtml

(Message edited by dcervenka on January 06, 2004)

(Message edited by dcervenka on January 06, 2004)
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-12-2004, 2:57 PM Reply   
TTT

I am very interested in this, how is the research going????
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-13-2004, 12:58 AM Reply   
This is still a work in progress, but here is what I’ve come up with so far. I've been mainly looking for the Sony TRV-900 and PC-101, but I've included housings that will also accommodate other manufactures and models.

If you guys see something I should add please let me know. I want this to be as complete as possible.

Here's a screen shot (http://www.cervenka.net/wake/VideoHousings/)

Underwater Housing LineUp

(Message edited by dcervenka on January 13, 2004)
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-13-2004, 11:18 AM Reply   
wow kung, nice job!
Old                01-16-2004, 11:13 PM Reply   
Hey Bill and everyone else on this post,
We just got the video edits put together on the wakeboard footage that Bill sent us.

We have posted it on the video clip section of our website:
http://www.epiccam.com/videoclips.htm

Lary
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-16-2004, 11:15 PM Reply   
Wow Lary, great job on the editing! I was disappointed with a lot of the video that we shot (not due to the housing!) but you made it look great. I'm impressed with what you put together, really nice job!
Old     (crracer)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-19-2004, 2:57 PM Reply   
Well I was pretty proud of the majority of what I filmed, sorry if it didn't meet your standards Bill. I'm particularly stoked on the pass that I filmed of Bill's boat as well as Todd G passing by me on the tube great face and slow mo shot... nice editing guys.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-20-2004, 7:03 PM Reply   
hey bill and chris,

how do you know what you're shooting with the housing? it is just point and hope? or can you see the viewfinder? can't tell from the info on the site...
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-20-2004, 7:44 PM Reply   
I like to think of it as figuring out what you shot when you watch the video. Actually what we did was set up the camera and looked through the viewfinder to figure out the approximate angle, once we had that we just basically pointed the camera at the rider and it worked pretty well. I was unhappy with much of what we shot because we hadn't gotten it dialed - the tube was too far from the rider, etc. The housing worked really well and everyone was learning, I just know we can make it so much better with just a little more practice.
Old     (crracer)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-20-2004, 7:47 PM Reply   
Yeah I agree but the the boat pass with todd in tow was sick. I look foward top some hot summer days at the river playing with it
Old     (bankssa)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-10-2004, 9:35 AM Reply   
I have the EWA Marine housing and it works fine. I can't get the fisheye lens on the GL2 in the bag but you can get at the controls fine. Viewing is limited because of the bag but better than many others I have seen. I use this in my classes at school ( I teach Media at a MI high school) and I don't let the kids mount the camera in the bag. The seal is good but you must take care to be sure there are no folds in the plastic around the seal. It's a bit like a zip lock bag..... I'm going to buy the epic housing becasue it looks a bit more durable for kids use.