Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-27-2011, 6:32 PM Reply   
My son came home from school with the latest fundraiser in his hand excited to sell some stuff and earn some prizes. However, since my wife and I work at home, we are not able to take his fundraiser to work with us and force everyone we work with to buy something! They don't let them go door-to-door anymore, so I usually just tell him that he can't participate.

However, this year they have an online option, so I promised him that I would take his fundraiser to Daddy's virtual office and see if I can drum up some sales for him. That's where you come in!

Please click on this link and check out the goodies he has for sale and order online if you're interested. He'd be pretty stoked to finally participate in one of these things and bring home one of those crappy prizes! Any help would be appreciated.

He's got until 10/16 to sell what he can. The items you can buy include...
  • Candy
  • Cookie Mix
  • Jewelry
  • Magazines
  • Candles
  • Gift wrap
  • Gifts
  • and More
Click on this link to order!
Old     (jerasu98)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-28-2011, 5:07 PM Reply   
Really? Is that standard practice now, not letting kids go door to door. I remember going around selling candy and magazine subscriptions. Is it that unsafe out or are people just overcautious?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-28-2011, 5:22 PM Reply   
I think it depends on where you live, but it is kind of serving your kid up on a silver platter if he or she happens to run across some pedophile's house. As much as it sucks, that's the world we live in. They specifically tell you not to send your kids door-to-door in the instructions, but I'm going to see if I can accompany him to a few this weekend. He did just get back from a neighbor that we know well and he sold a few items, so he's off and running!
Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-29-2011, 9:27 PM Reply   
I just spent $50 bucks on candles, this ish better be legit...

Good cause, I'm in...

Last edited by doug2; 09-29-2011 at 9:30 PM. Reason: Sarcasm might not always flow.......
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-30-2011, 7:43 AM Reply   
You're the man! I told him as he woke up this morning, so he started his day with a BIG smile!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-30-2011, 8:00 AM Reply   
I'll show my mom tonight.... she can't say no to candy
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-30-2011, 1:11 PM Reply   
Thanks Nick...they've got peanut brittle...yum!!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-30-2011, 2:35 PM Reply   
Can I use my WW points? JK, I'll look it over.

FWIW, I genuinley hate this practice, where the parent brings their kids stuff into work to sell but I can see the point in this instance.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-30-2011, 2:54 PM Reply   
Oh, I hate too. They are basically leveraging the kids cute faces to sell product, which is bad enough. However, they are also getting the kids hopes up with these posters of horribly cheap prizes that they can earn if they only sell half a million pieces! On the other hand, it goes to pay for their school activities, so they do benefit. But don't feel obligated at all. I'm just throwing it out there in case somebody happens to be buying some of this stuff anyway.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-30-2011, 3:36 PM Reply   
Our school does not let kids go door-to-door as well. I work from home and travel a lot, so selling the cheap stuff is not appropriate. My school took notice of the trend and gave a per-kid goal of what they would sell and what "profit" the school would take. I write the check and keep my kid's dignity.