Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (future)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-14-2006, 11:05 AM Reply   
so i know it's a bad idea but does anyone have any horror stories of their own from doing it? my g/f brothers and cousins always want me to tow them from the tower because they seen everyone else on the lake doing it.pics would be great
thanks in advance
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-14-2006, 11:37 AM Reply   
Well, if the pictures they are looking at are from that "Wega" flying tube I would point out to them that people have been seriously hurt from those!

I don't like the idea of the tube getting air. Towing from the tower will increase air.

Don't do it. It isn't worth it.
Old     (sammm724centurion)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-14-2006, 11:48 AM Reply   
JUST DO IT...
We have the "BONZAI" tube and when we pull it from the back of the boat the rope gets caught in the wake. The towers now are made to hold plenty of pressure. We pulled the tube just last week from the tower with two adults in it. it's just fine, as long as you don't have one of those flying tubes, and even if you don, just slow down when they start getting air. You will be just fine!
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-14-2006, 12:10 PM Reply   
Yep, just do it. Towing the tube from the tower is much better. No more rope getting caught in the water. Less chance of nose diving.

Jman

PS: The Obrien Super Screamer is the best tube I have seen. Get two or three kids on it and watch them smile.

(Message edited by Jmanolinsky on August 14, 2006)
Old     (roswell_wakeair)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-14-2006, 2:27 PM Reply   
Just to pop in here as being part of the tower industry- In my own humble opinion I would STRONGLY disagree with the above comments (for towing from a tower) for the following reasons.

The pressure from a tube submerging upon start and the angle with which a tube can be wipped out to the side are dangerous issues.

If a rope were to break while tubing (typically when a tube goes under upon starting or on a strong whip) and it is attached to the tower there is a much greater risk of the rope itself entering the passenger area as compared to towing off a lower rear tow point.

Whipping the tube out to the side while having it attached to a higher tow point can drastically change the driving capabilities of the boat- Wakeboaring cannot create the angles that a tube whipping out to the side can. It is also pulling from a higher leverage point with MUCH greater force than a rider will ever pull.

I would highly suggest you NEVER pull from any tower.

Just my 2 cents...

Marc Poirier
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-14-2006, 2:39 PM Reply   
Thanks Marc. Good to here your experience here. Been towing the tube from the tower and when the tube submarines you can sure feel it. Never considered the damage it could cause to the boat, not to mention injury to the rider http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/254896.html?1127948313#POST554732

I never want another day like that.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-14-2006, 2:54 PM Reply   
I know a guy that pulled from his tower and he ended up going to a local welder to repair his tower after it cracked.

Then again i see people out every weekend pulling not one but 2 tubes from tower.

So i guess its all up to you if you want to chance it or not. I would never do it.
Old     (sammm724centurion)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-14-2006, 3:49 PM Reply   
Mark must be from CANADA AHE?
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-15-2006, 9:48 AM Reply   
I have been pulling a tube from my tower for over a year. My friend has been pulling two tubes from his for over 3 years. Not one problem. As far as the pull from the tube while out to the side of the boat, it is minimal because by the time the tube crosses the wake, you are setting up for the next turn in the other direction. If your riders are subbing the tube on take-off, they need a lesson. I have never seen a tube sub while under way. Could you damage your tower pulling a tube? You sure could. Just as you could hurt your rider if you drive like an idiot. It just take a little common sense and technique.

YMMV,
Jman
Old     (mbw4462)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-18-2006, 7:58 PM Reply   
our speaker mount got destroyed from a rope catching it. we dont believe it was wakeboarding since we havent seen it happen while boarding, and we had the tubes on the tower once this year so were think the tubes did it since u can go so far to the side. so just be careful of any lights or speakers if you have any.
Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-18-2006, 10:43 PM Reply   
I would never pull a tube from the tower. What's the point? I wouldn't be as worried about the tower as I would be about the fiberglass. Either way, why chance it because your friends want you to???