Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-25-2006, 8:45 AM Reply   
Last week I finally started going W2W consistently on HS and it felt amazingly smooth! I would appreciate any comments on how I can:
a. Get more height on HS jumps
b. Improve TS to get W2W
I have been working on edging progressively and standing tall--some of the recent posts have been really helpful. Thanks! Video attached--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8wWlNNFr6w
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-25-2006, 10:37 AM Reply   
Good job man! It appears you are flattening out about 3ft. short of the wake. Try cutting out a less distance and then carving to the top of the wake. You should feel the greatest tension in the rope, at the top of the wake. Same with toe side.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-25-2006, 5:36 PM Reply   
Firstly, congratulations!

To get more air on HS W2W, try not letting off your edge quite as much. It seems you build your edge very quickly and then let off as you hit the white wash. Try drift in a little more while progressively leaning on the line more, as you approach the wake. More line tension you have at the top of the wake and the stiffer your back leg is the more pop you will get.

Same is true for TS also. The only difference IMHO is due to the twisted TS body position as it is less natural than the HS body position, and thus it is harder to build an edge. To get around that, I've found it helpful to lean on my back arm while turning the shoulders away from the boat. Again, drift in easy, then the closer you get to the wake the more you lean on the back arm (and thus increasing line tension) and then push off the top of the wake with a stiff back leg to translate all that line tension into pop.
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-26-2006, 3:43 PM Reply   
Thanks!

So, basically on HS take a slightly shorter approach, drift in a little more and build my edge a little later and hold it so it is hardest at the wake?

On my TS, does it look like I am edging correctly but just need to build a strong er edge or am I doing it wrong? It feels like I just can't get very much distance or pop...

Also, any thoughts on speed? I am riding at 19.6-20mph, 60' rope with 500# ballast and 3 people in the boat. I'm wondering if that is a little slow or OK? Thanks!
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-27-2006, 8:27 AM Reply   
depends on the boat...most of the time, you want to ride 20.5 and up, but your speedo may be off...
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-28-2006, 1:23 PM Reply   
alain, when you say don't let up on my edge as much does that mean it's OK to let up some or should I be trying to hold full edging position?
Old                07-30-2006, 2:50 PM Reply   
build your edge, it looks like your diggin in pretty hard to get your speed up.

as for speed, i never pay attention to mph, i go by rpm's (usually 2200 is good) which may differ boat to boat though
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-03-2006, 9:06 AM Reply   
Last night I pulled out my "The Book" Foundation DVD and reviewed some basics on HS and TS jumps. Basically, as you guys said, it looks like I need to drift in a little more at the beginning, start a slower edge and build progrssively stronger and then at the whitewash lean hard against the rope and pop. Right now, it does seem like I'm building and edge too soon and then backing off too much at the wake. As far as my TS, as alain said, I need to resist the untwist, build a progressive edge and lean on my back arm. Also, I'm thinking I need to stand tall and more centered over my board. Anything else to try when I get out next week? Thanks!