Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-17-2006, 1:40 PM Reply   
So I was just about to re-run dedicated power and ground wires, and even look into running my remote wire to a dedicated accessory switch because my head unit has been clipping lately on heavy bass notes. Do I need a capacitor? More batteries? hmmmmmm.

Well, I finally figured out (with some help) that the problem is just that the head unit can't handle the vibration caused by the subs in the boat. We pulled the HU out of its slot and just sat there and held it, turned up the volume, and sure enough, no problems at all.

In addition to that, my local stereo shop told me that coupled with the vibration from the subs that is causing the clipping, the fact that the head unit is mounted at a downward angle makes the CD tray and "anti-skip" mechanisms function poorly.

Can anyone here who has a Malibu with a) the HU mounted at the downward angle in the driver's right side armrest and b) pounding subs, recommend a head unit with superior anti-skip capabilities? I hate to be limited to the radio and the iPod with there's a lot of perfectly good CDs to listen to.

thanks a lot.
Old     (knwebs)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-17-2006, 1:45 PM Reply   
Wow, what kind of SUBs do you have????
Old    walt            08-17-2006, 2:04 PM Reply   
Buy a pioneer ! IMHO they make the best head unit out there. Every other brand I've owned has skipped and the pioneers don't.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-17-2006, 2:40 PM Reply   
Ken - I have 2 Kicker S12L7 running on Memphis amps.

Thanks for the suggestion, Walt. The only down side to going with something other than Sony (I know it sucks) is that I'll have to change out my remotes. $100 a piece. Ouch.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-17-2006, 2:53 PM Reply   
Dave: I guess you have the Clarion XMD-3 or the CMD-4 and Yes the angle the the player sits in effects the anti skip. The unit (check your user manuall) has a max degree at witch it can sit at.
I hate it people ask for a solution and people tell you to buy somthing new to fix your problem.
So I guess Im gonna hate my self. Please buy a I-POD and your skipping and scratched, missing, dammaged CD problem will be fixed. If your boat has a pumpin sytem its pretty easy to skip the CD even if the player is mounted perfectley flat.

BTW whats up with the LED company in your profile. How come I havet heard about you guy's
spill it,
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-17-2006, 3:56 PM Reply   
Actually, it's a Sony head unit - and a crappy one at that. I have an iPod and use it occasionally on the boat, but I hate that I have to crank the volume and turn up the subs (a lot) from the head unit in order to get it to sound good. For some reason, my Aux input doesn't put out the sound like a CD does.

Yeah, the LED company is one that I started with a buddy within in the last few months. We are operating locally, partnering with a new local shop for installs, selling over the web, and doing some event sponsorship in the process. It's not my full time job, it's just something I'm interested in and I get to do something fun, involve myself in the wake community, and offer an affordable LED solution to folks.
Old    walt            08-17-2006, 4:28 PM Reply   

quote:

I hate it people ask for a solution and people tell you to buy something new to fix your problem.

Well like it or not that's often the best solution. You can't polish a turd.

David,
Replacing to remotes makes it hard to justify.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-17-2006, 5:42 PM Reply   
Sony makes one of the best anti-skip decks out there. I know guys that have tried different ones on their Harleys' and the Sony is the only one that works. Check the website. And yes most units have mounting angle limits as stated earlier. Check the manual.

(Message edited by wake_upppp on August 17, 2006)
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-17-2006, 8:14 PM Reply   
I was just checking out some Sony decks tonight and notice that the upper crust of their line (the CDX-GT705DX and the CDX-GT805DX) both specify 0-45 degree mounting angles. Pretty sweet. Considering the wired remote situation, I might just get one of the two above.

Thanks for all the posts...
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       08-17-2006, 8:29 PM Reply   
I was told by my stereo guy to stick with my cheaper JVC deck and just burn my CD's to my computer and put them on my IPOD.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-18-2006, 1:54 AM Reply   
David I have the same problem and have kicked around the idea of adding a small signal booster. There are a few things out there you can either buy, boostaroo, or you can build one yourself, http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/
The other option is a sgnal processor that has a build in pre-amp.
Old     (jlembas)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-18-2006, 6:38 AM Reply   
Make sure the rear of the deck is fully supported with a solid strap. I've noticed a lot of boat companies don't do this anymore. Most newer decks have better anit-skip mechanisms and don't have this problem, but back in the day, if the head unit wasn't strapped in the rear it would almost always skip.

Upgrading to a high end deck isn't so bad either....you'll most likely get higher voltage outputs which will help your sound.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-18-2006, 6:41 AM Reply   
Buy a tape player...problem solved.
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-18-2006, 7:54 AM Reply   
Fluid Concepts has a great point:

"...you'll most likely get higher voltage outputs which will help your sound."

Not only will you have better inputs/outputs, but you will have much greater ability to control your audio. Many higher end decks have differnt levels for the AUX input so that you can match your CD/Tuner levels, have the ability to adjust Xover frequencys on different outputs, have greater equalizer controls, etc. I put a cheaper deck in my car after it was broken into last year and have never been satisfied with the lack of control over my independent audio sources...

In fact, I just looked at the manual for the CDX-GT705DX and you can set a level for the individual inputs on that unit from -6 to +6db.

...go with the higher level head unit - it's defenitly worth it if you're running a nice system.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-18-2006, 8:02 AM Reply   
I have the GT705 in my Bu and it only will skip if I pound some rollers. Like jlembas suggested I dont have it strapped in the back.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-18-2006, 8:46 AM Reply   
awesome. I found one cheap on eBay and I'm going to pick it up.

THanks a lot.

Hey KG - do you have the Sony XA110IP iPod interface on your GT705? Does it work well?
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-18-2006, 9:03 AM Reply   
David- I dont own a Ipod I do have a 20gb Omnifi harddrive that functions like a mp3 device but havent hooked it up yet. So for now Im running old school and just burning CD's. Not sure what is needed to connect an Ipod but I think it just connects directly to the aux port. When I eventually add the strap to the back I believe it will make it hard to make this unit skip. I got it off fleabay as well for around $170 new.

(Message edited by iagainsti on August 18, 2006)
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-18-2006, 9:49 AM Reply   
I asked the question the other day.....anti-skip technology has been aroudn for quite a while, does sony use better technology in it's higher end units? Seems like that is something they would incorporate into all their units.

Anyone ever try any type of dampening material attached to the underside of the unit. The vibration is what's causing it to skip.

I'd hold off on buying the new unit till you've tried a few things out on the old unit.
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-18-2006, 12:05 PM Reply   
not using CD's - too much thump in my system and too may bumps on the water. I just orderded an iPod mount called the iPed2 which I'm going to mount to my dash - the iPod controller for my Clarion head unit is on the way too...

No changing CD's - no skipping - make a variety of playlists pending my mood ... too many pluses...