Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-16-2012, 11:36 AM Reply   
Just read this and thought it was worth sharing. Thoughts?

http://www.alliancewake.com/wake/mat...andall-harris/
Old    sperbet            08-16-2012, 11:49 AM Reply   
That was awesome. Thanks for sharing.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-16-2012, 12:40 PM Reply   
Very interesting. I like his perspective.

"It doesn’t matter to me that ironically most wakeboard companies make the majority of their money selling tubes, wake surfboards, kite boards, and all kinds of other bull**** that screws up the water when I’m trying to ride."

"This is the part that matters a lot though. Although I have chosen a path that is rarely lit with rays of sweet glory or showered on by financial rewards, I have been rewarded with the best fans. My fans are not people that just showed up yesterday, saw a competition, and said, “I like that guy, he won, he’s my favorite.” My fans know their ****. They have an appreciation for the history of our sport and boardsports in general. They don’t care that I’m not on the podium. They don’t care that I’m always lurking in the sidelines like a slightly-less-pale-but-nonetheless-hideous-Gollum. They don’t care that I’m rollin with a group of savages that look like a Dia De Los Muertos parade. They don’t care that I don’t have a DVD showcasing my life of doing what I wasn’t born to do or an MTV show showcasing my lack of personality and reclusiveness. They understand that I try to walk with the Lord but sometimes slip and end up running with the devil. My fans are loyal. They recognize the sacrifices I’ve made to paint my picture and they appreciate me for it. I may not be successful by many people’s standards, but no one can say what my painting is supposed to look like. To me success is a matter of perception. I define success as acquired contentment and joy in life. I’m not entirely successful yet, but I’m getting there; one stroke of my twisted paint brush at a time. History may be written by the winners, but it’s painted by the losers".
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-16-2012, 2:02 PM Reply   
After reading this I find myself with continued respect for his riding and stick to your roots/freerider/own thing attitude, but I'm also surprised with his struggle with the sport from a mental aspect. He's so negative, critical and wish-washy on his take on wakeboarding in his writing. I understand that being a pro, entertaining, traveling, meeting sponsors expectations, etc. could wear on a person, but it is his job and what he has decided he wants to continue to do to earn a paycheck. Nobody is holding him a gunpoint making him wakeboard for a living. If he hates it as much as he makes it sound, he needs to get out for his own well being. His riding speaks for itself and is incredible, no doubt, but I feel he could make so much more out of his career than writing something so negative like this in Alliance. He thanks his "fans" but not once mentions his sponsors other than a negative comment that an Axis dealer made to him. Maybe they caught him on a bad day or something, but not a smart move to release this in my opinion as a professional athlete who's sponsors are putting food on the table. It sounds stupid saying this about a guy getting paid to ride a wakeboard and rock his name on one of the #1 selling wakeboard boats in the world, but I feel bad for him and hope he can continue to improve on his attitude and positivity in his life.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-16-2012, 2:11 PM Reply   
"It matters a little bit if you do everything into the flats and your rope is low 80s or 70-anything. If your rope is that short you ain’t doing anything into the flats, so quit frontin’."

Ha, ha, ha....I'll be watching you this weekend, Scotty, no frontin' at 75'!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-16-2012, 2:14 PM Reply   
+1 Exactly what I thought. I love the way he rides and always liked him but I found the piece overly indulgent and a bit "poor me".
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-16-2012, 2:29 PM Reply   
I enjoyed reading his thoughts, and I try not to judge someones work or opinions or feelings because its a good thing for people to be open. I disagree with bhyatt, I didn't find the article negative at all. I found it honest, brutally honest, and I also do not think he "hates it as much as he makes it sound" at all. I found it refreshing that he did not "plug" his sponsors. As a fan of action sports (wakeboarding, racing...) I find it tiring that every interview has to conclude with the list of sponsors. I get it, they get paid a lot to do it, and I am sure I would do it as well if I were them. When he mentioned the Axis dealer, that in no way affects the reputation of the Axis boat or wake, but reflects how out-of-touch some of these boat dealers are with the very sport they are selling.

I liked it.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-16-2012, 2:37 PM Reply   
Randall is the man! He goes big like big was ment to be.He has his own style and he is his own man. You can like him or not,but he does it like nobody else.Mucho respect for the Vandall.
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-16-2012, 2:43 PM Reply   
The vandall is one of my favs to watch ride but I believe his comments and criticisms of others put him in a really negative light. It sounds like they caught him on a really bad day and he vented out all of his frustrations at once. From the sounds of it he doesn't really care though but my respect for him just went down a few notches.
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-16-2012, 2:45 PM Reply   
When this came out a few months back I was blown away by how real he was. Not hiding behind some shot in a mag, but putting it all on the table. I let him know that I appreciated that at the time. I love his attitude. He may like rap, but his attitude is pure punk rock. Coming from a guy with the words "punk rock" tattooed across his stomach, Keep it up Vandall.
Old     (Mahoney86)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-16-2012, 2:54 PM Reply   
I found it to be an awesome article... No one knows what its like until you go through what he goes through... I spent years of my life in the motorcycle stunt world and I can say it very closely represents wakeboarding in a way.. Very few people do it and even fewwer make it to a financially succesful level.. There are the OGs who are making a great living and occassionally a few new younger guys. There is also the real OGs who are sponsored and making dirt but are progessing the sports to a new level. One thing I learned out of stunt riding and wakeboarding is there is 2 groups there are show/competition riders and there are freeriders who push the sport to new levels but normally suck at comps and shows. Vandall hit the nail on the head, wakeboarding just like stunt riding shows/contentst are rehearsed gymnastics. Most riders in both do the same tricks year after year and throw in maybe a few new tricks a year... When youre sponsered you are paid to perform and to win, throwing new risky tricks that you barely land in practice is no good in a competition setting. Therefore you stick to what youre solid in and throw some style into it, solid styled runs win comps. The lesser name guys are pinching pennys to ride and risking not making it to work the next day to perform new tricks for the love of the sport but no matter how technical and nasty these guys are, they rarely get seen on the show/comp circuit because they try things in comps and they look sloppy. Sure there are people who mix both, Travis Pastrana is one, Shaun White is another but these guys are few and far between.

Yes Vandalls attitude by not shouting out sponsors will not get him far, however not everyone wants to "blow the man" like that and some sponsors respect that. Vandall would be just as happy pinching pennys but riding every day of his life, compared to being one of the Soven brothers and sucking at the corporation ***. Hey there is a price to pay for both and Im not saying either way is wrong. If you want to make it rich in this game then there is a kiss ass price to pay, if you want to stay underground and be like Vandall there is a price to pay as well.

I got out of stunt riding and fmx because I saw where the sport was going. There was a select few "good ole' boys club" who made it big and are doing there thing all of which I was close friends with. I did the Monster Jam tour, the XDL tour and local stuff. I worked my butt off all day and rode til the late hours of the night in order to keep my passion alive. I did shows and comps for dirt because thats what the sponsors wanted. I needed to keep sponsors happy because they kept my bikes up and running and gas in my truck. I was one of the guys who wanted to progress the sport and try new things and not to the same run comp after comp after comp.... Hell most of the top riders these days are doing the same runs from 10years ago with some variations and a few new tricks. Though I know a group of guys out in Arizona who are some of the most technical riders pushing the limits of their bikes to never before seen levels and their first comp, they didnt even place.

Being a professional athlete is politics. So I give huge props for Vandall on that article. Still keeping the sport dirty and progessing in a more underground way. From guys I know who have met him say he is one of the realest, chillest dudes theyve ever met, but the Sovens who we all look up to I always hear are d-bags however ever wants to be them. I made a decision to get out of stunt riding as I wanted more things in life as I got older and the sponsors and the comps just sucked the passion out of me, it was something that use to be an escape and fun that turned in work/a job. It then required quitting a dream and using my colllege degree and getting a real job. Do I miss it, hell yeah, but now I have the money to still ride my bikes for fun and have the money to afford a great wake boat. With sucess comes sacrafice and again I have nothing but love for Vandall for doing his thing....
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-16-2012, 4:07 PM Reply   
The fact is...95% of pro wakeboarders come from deep pockets/trust funds and daddy's money. When you combine that with the lack of money in the industry (by comparative sakes to snow/surf/skate)...you end up with a "bastard child" of a sport/art....where the best riders in a sport are likely the ones who get very little love because they don't have deep enough pockets to open the right doors to allow themselves the opportunity to excel in a sport that pays peanuts. In the end you get a bunch of guys fighting over a small piece of pie just because it's the only pie available. It sounds like Randall is just sick of watching the game unfold in front of him in a sport he is very passionate about but logically realizes will likely never go the direction he would like/the sport needs to go....due to the barriers of entry/success.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-16-2012, 4:16 PM Reply   
Love this dude. Vandall for ever.
Old     (Mahoney86)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-16-2012, 4:50 PM Reply   
Dizzle you hit the nail on the head
Old     (Indyxc)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-16-2012, 5:07 PM Reply   
Dude is biting the hand that feeds him? What other talents does he have? Where would he be if he wasn't wake boarding, and making money of the sponsors he has. If you don't like the world you're in, get out. Don't take the sponsorship money, and then complain about it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-16-2012, 6:23 PM Reply   
I didn't see it as bitching, poor me, biting the hand that feeds him, or any of that. It was his honest perspective on the sport, and his place in it.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-16-2012, 6:46 PM Reply   
^^ Vandall has been in the game since the beginning. He's paid his dues and earned his spot. His sponsors are lucky to have him.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-16-2012, 7:02 PM Reply   
I liked most of it, but a few parts did rub me the wrong way. Him (and Alliance) always criticize not grabbing "properly" etc, but isnt that totally hypocritical to their desire for everyone to do their own thing and ride how they want? Who are you to say what is "right and wrong?" That's like assigning point values to tricks. If I want to grab my board tindy then that's my right to do so and my style (PS-I dont). You may not like it, but it isn't wrong.

Likewise-now if we do stuff into the flats but it's not at 100 ft of rope, it doesn't count? I love to take a poked Mute HS FS 180 into the flats at 70-75 ft of rope, and it feels big and floaty to me. I couldn't care less if the style police don't recognize my efforts.
Old     (Dj2up10)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-16-2012, 7:39 PM Reply   
Very interesting article-especially considering the Holden caulfield "catcher in the rye" stream of conscientiousness style.

At the end of the day, I always find myself appreciting Randall. Sure, some of the tone is sharp but even when he jabs at Parks, he gives credit to him a bit later. He sounds a bit disenfranchised by the whole show, but if you pause at all during his rant it doesn't sound as though he's bitter, but simply being honest. That's the tough part about being arm chair quarter backs (as we all are on blogs like this) listening to a pro rant-all the while forgetting that it simply isn't possible nor is it wrong for them to always be cheery and perfectly grateful. I don't doubt Randalls gracefulness because Ive followed him his entire career and have watched the arc of his career. I know I'm especially glad he's back in the scene after a rough season of life.

All that said, he has always been onto something (like horrell, byerly, etc). Many on this blog dont like his appeal to a standard in such a subjective "do what makes you happy and feel good" sport. Yes you can do things however you like but here is a reason that when Randall does a proper historically correct method he is doing it in such a way to honor the sports it came from. I was so fortunate to be able to ride with horrell back in his day and would love to watch Randall at some point as well because of not only their style and crazy ability, but they're attention to detail and doing things YES (gasp) the correct legit way.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-17-2012, 7:09 AM Reply   
I believe the rope length comment was directed toward the elite level of riders.
Old     (trippingbillies)      Join Date: Jan 2012       08-17-2012, 11:43 AM Reply   
“ athletes of our sport don’t even know which way to poke their board when they incorrectly grab a grab they incorrectly name”

“It matters a little bit that competitive wakeboarding is still for the most part a gymnastics floor routine disguised as a boardsport – and that the riding in it hasn’t progressed for years”

While I loved this article, his riding, and his brutally honest assessment of wakeboarding, I think he has some logical fallacies and cognitive dissonance he needs to reconcile in order for his argument to fulfill its maximum potential. I realize this is not an academic thesis and could have been written on a “bad” day for him, but his hypocrisy is glaring and detracts greatly from his point. Thank you lfadam for highlighting this point already.

I feel entirely similar that wakeboarding is a creative outlet and is an art, but for god’s sake, if you can have your own art – I can have my own art. Randall, you can poke your grabs whichever way you damn well please. Hell, I can shove my finger up my arse while doing a shifty and by my own definition that is art! If we follow your logic correctly, no one should judge anyone else’s riding except by their own standards. So why the hell are you hating on how others grab, spin, etc?

To further clarify the ridiculous of his hypocrisy, let’s do a thought experiment. He comments that runs are turning into gymnast routines and that riders sacrifice extra 180’s for grabs/style. Well, let’s start with the 1260. I think most of us will agree that Harf’s 1260 was “sloppy.” So, instead he should do 1080 with a little room to spare and maybe sneak a small grab in. Well, I could say that was sloppy because he barely grabbed it and was rushed. So, in reality, he should really be doing 900’s with solid grabs…. By extending this logic we get all the way down to 180’s with quadruple grabs. This is absolutely ridiculous, but my point here is to highlight that where the line is drawn is subjective! Thus, completely debasing his original argument!
Rant over.

Last edited by trippingbillies; 08-17-2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: spacing
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       08-17-2012, 11:52 AM Reply   
I always have a great deal of respect for anybody who has dedicated themselves to something they love like Randall has and I think we all believe he would be riding everyday whether or not he ever got sponsored. Reading the article really opened my eyes about the industry. I really like the comments about gymnastics, I found my self wishing during the Olympics to see what those athletes could do if the didn't worry about how the judges would destroy their hopes & dreams for a "hop" after a triple flip, that's why i would rather see something like park's double up or nothing contest with a ton of crashes over a nationals final where all the tricks are almost boringly similar, with no room for "style"...

Nothing but respect for someone who stayed true to himself over the years, as I wish I could say I have done that in my life
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-17-2012, 12:14 PM Reply   
I love Randall's style and watching his vids....but what's his definition of "progress"? He complains that the current successful competition pros aren't progressing the sport, but they're landing new tricks all the time. What is Randall expecting them to do? Cancel the Pro Tour and just make videos all the time? Some of those guys put out a lot of cool free-riding videos. Even the much-hated and harshly criticized Phil Soven did an awesome freeride video with Harley and Norbi last year that showcases them doing all kinds of sick grabbed 180s and 360s proving that they are just as capable of throwing down sick-looking non-technical tricks as the next guy. In addition both Harley and Phil are pushing the sport by landing new mobe 7's both freeriding and in competition and many of the competitive pros are doing some good-looking 1080s as well.

Yes, we all know that wakeboarding is a rich kid sport and the only money in it comes from the sponsors. Why all this hate for those who are successful at competitions? Randall, Lyman, Benny G., and other riders like them--their style has not gone unappreciated in the wakeboard community. We love watching their videos. They get lots of love and respect from the fans. Yes, it's a bummer that they tend to be outsiders with the sponsors and can't make ridiculous money by having fun for a living, but that doesn't justify hatred for the professionals who are objectively and demonstrably better riders who are capable of landing more difficult and more impressive tricks.

Love watching Randall ride and his style, but if he thinks throwing backside 180s into the flats using an 85' rope is more progressive than guys throwing mobe 7s and 1080s then I definitely disagree with him.
Old    sperbet            08-17-2012, 12:43 PM Reply   
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you to some extent. If you think Randall's technical ability is about big back 1s you haven't watched him ride enough or paid enough attention to what he's doing. He's got a ton of tricks (specifically switch stuff) that are more tech then some of the big name riders, but they aren't 10s and mobe 7s, etc. so they don't get the same hype. And I think he actually rides like a 92' line. I think his point of progress isn't adding an additional 180 to every trick out there, but making the tricks actually look good.

Either way, this is an endless circular debate. Bottom line for me, I wish more pro riders rode the way he rides. If there was one pro I could go out for the day with and watch take a couple pulls there is absolutely no doubt he'd be the one I'd choose.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-17-2012, 1:36 PM Reply   
Vandall is and always has been on the forefront when it comes to riding. No extra rotations, just big and usually switch and grabbed for days. I just wish he could make peace with his place in the sport and what his place looks like. This industry is small and like any other business you gotta make a profit. Unfortunately the things that sell boards/boats are often results, especially for the uninformed masses (i.e. majority of boat/board buyers). As a society we seek winners and unfortunately that means contests.

Not sure if Randall would ever read this board but if he does, he will see what he means to a lot of people that live this sport every day. While it may not pay the bills (& that sucks), Randall is one of the most respected riders of all time. Not just by his fans but by every other professional rider out there. Unfortunately books get judged by their covers and Randall might not appeal to a lot of people, that hurts his marketability. The business side chooses who gets paid and limiting his marketability hits him in the pocket book. Just the way it is.
Old     (mastercraf)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-17-2012, 2:08 PM Reply   
They don’t care that I don’t have a DVD showcasing my life of doing what I wasn’t born to do or an MTV show showcasing my lack of personality and reclusiveness

ha
Old     (Dj2up10)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-17-2012, 2:43 PM Reply   
i think a constant underlying issue as our sport progresses is the fact that we have a rope and will never look like a fully grabbed corked spin like in snowboarding. Follow me for a second...wrapped tricks have definitely pushed the sport stylistically (thank you randall)but at the end of the day regardless if youre riding at 92 or 75 you still have to pass the handle. i actually think harley is doing a great job (and twelker and a few others of course) at actually putting legit grabs into the hucked spins.
Old     (mtownrydr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-17-2012, 2:46 PM Reply   
Poor Vandall...I think he is upset b/c he didn't get a cameo on wakebros.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-17-2012, 2:51 PM Reply   
Just to be clear-I have enormous respect for Randall. I have been a fan since Natural Born Thrillaz and think the way he rides is incredible. To go that fast, that big, and the way he can land blind in the flats is unmatched. I have always hoped I would be lucky enough to ride in the boat for one of his sets. He's definitely at the top of my list of riders I'd love to see in person. He seems like a really good guy and he has been through a lot, my beef with the article is not indicative of my opinion of him as a person or a rider-It's more of being another example of the Alliance movement of being the style police and against technical riding that I dont like.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       08-17-2012, 8:19 PM Reply   
It still baffles me that people are that offended when someone like randy or whoever tries to encourage correct grabs. These are basic fundamentals of any boardsport that were laid out years before anyone here picked up a wakeboard. Beyond the basics of knowing where a grab is located, there's plenty of room for style, like how big you want to go, how long you want to hold your grab, do you want to double grab or grab late, etc.

Maybe some people will never get that, but on a professional level, or for anyone who aspires to represent wakeboarding as a progressive, legitimate board sport, being aware of grabbing and style is a must. Part of that is just respecting and understanding what came before you. I think his comments are directed more at the professional contingent than the weekend warrior anyway.

And if we want to continue with an art metaphor, I'm sure there are basic skills and techniques (like sfumato or the concept of linear perspective--we'll keep this wake oriented!) one acquires before they let their creativity fly. I'd look at grabs the same way--a basic skill that once you have, you can stylize any number of ways, be it with an invert or whatever.

Last edited by electricsnow; 08-17-2012 at 8:28 PM.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-17-2012, 11:32 PM Reply   
Its funny that people can so nonchelantly pick apart Randalls article without even knowing the guy. You may think you know him because you are a fan since whenever, or watch all his videos, but you don't know him and neither do I. The "legit grab" argument is always an interesting one. I chime in with my opinion and say there are only 6 legit grabs (indy, mute, tail, nose, melan, stale) and then a fellow not-so-good rider chimes in and disagrees, thinks most grabs look good. It's all preference. However, when a rider who has been at the top of the game for 15 years (i don't know, just a guess, but close?) and is in most of our "top 5's" for favorite rider to watch, or rider with the best style says that there are grabs that are not legit.... well, his opinion should carry a TON of weight. Most of us love his style, which has a lot to do with how and where he grabs his board, ALWAYS legitimately, imo.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       08-18-2012, 12:10 AM Reply   
Just to make a quick note, I think there are more cool grabs--methods done right are classic. And i think most wake people don't realize some grabs are direction dependant (front side airs vs backside airs), like mutes and slobs, indys and front side grabs, etc. That all came from skateboarding, and i remember reading my first snowboarding mags, and how those guys would say "you can't do a front side Indy." So grab recognition and style were an issue at one point, and they went through their growing pains and kook stages also. Those are subtlties that the wake industry hasn't recognized as such, maybe because of the wake being there and everyone using toeside and heelside to note direction. Anyway, having an idea about that, I can see where he's coming from with his argument, aside from professionals riding with a gross style or whatever.

Last edited by electricsnow; 08-18-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-18-2012, 7:14 AM Reply   
Crail and seatbelt grabs are sick as well, assuming they are done correctly. They're not pretzely looking like nuclear, but they get the same point across.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-18-2012, 8:54 AM Reply   
"They don’t care that I don’t have a DVD showcasing my life of doing what I wasn’t born to do or an MTV show showcasing my lack of personality and reclusiveness" ..... BURN
Old     (garrett_cortese)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-18-2012, 10:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_vilfo View Post
"They don’t care that I don’t have a DVD showcasing my life of doing what I wasn’t born to do or an MTV show showcasing my lack of personality and reclusiveness" ..... BURN
I think you're reading that wrong. He's making fun of himself saying his fans don't care that he doesn't have a DVD showcasing his life because he wasn't a born wake/water prodigy like Parks. He's not saying Parks wasn't born to ride. He's also calling himself reclusive and lacking personality, he's not saying that about Phil or Bob.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-18-2012, 1:47 PM Reply   
His section on Transgression is still arguably one of the best of all time (IMO only second to Parks on 12 Honkeys).
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-18-2012, 1:57 PM Reply   
Garrett +1
Jeremy +1

Chef, you may be right about the grabs (and names dependent of which way you spin) but I have no clue to that because I never got into skating that much. One question is about the "method air". I was always under the impression that a method or method air was a trick, not a grab. You can't do a method bs 3, it would be a melan bs 3, you can only do a method air (that is, a melan with both knees bent to about 90 degrees then the back foot does a donkey kick). This came from skating in the pools early on, named when doing a backside air, or 180, in a pool... same as when doing a frontside 180 in a pool and grabbing indy = "frontside airs" or "front side indy" ??? yes? am I way off here?
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       08-18-2012, 2:37 PM Reply   
Johnny defacto, I think there's a lot to the answer, and with you mentioning it I'm sure there are others who will disagree with this, but in short, you can do a method with other moves. One of my favorites that I wished I could do but can't (from snowboarding, because I was heavily influenced by decade) is a method backside 180 that is fully pushed out. There are a lot of ways to do a method--the basic is grabbing between your feet and bringing the board up, but you can push the board out in front of you (a "Palmer" or whatever you want to call it--there are a few different names and a lot of sick variations). I'm pretty sure I read what you're talking about ( the whole move thing) in a wake magazine. I don't recall all of the details...I think part of it is a proper method can stand on its own, and i think there are people in wake that think that's the only acceptable way to do a method. but i'm pretty sure I also took issue with the article anyway, as usual. It might have even been a randy article too, I really can't remember.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-18-2012, 3:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_defacto View Post
when a rider who has been at the top of the game for 15 years (i don't know, just a guess, but close?) and is in most of our "top 5's" for favorite rider to watch, or rider with the best style says that there are grabs that are not legit.... well, his opinion should carry a TON of weight.
Why? Randall's opinion of how wakeboarding should look is just one of many.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-18-2012, 4:48 PM Reply   
Man, people will do and say a lot of things, including stirring random pots, when they need the spotlight back on them. Lost more respect than gained with that random drabble, but I know I don't matter
Old     (HighWater)      Join Date: Apr 2012       08-19-2012, 4:54 AM Reply   
ummm,,,not impressed by his opinion on himself and others in wake community. He could have done himself a favor by knowing when to keep his mouth shut on certain topics.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-19-2012, 6:25 AM Reply   
Nah, c'mon. Why should he keep his mouth shut? Even if he's wrong and his opinions are off-putting to people, he's earned the right to have his say. We don't necessarily have to like it, but if he wants to play the whiney old man of the sport, then I say let him rant! Let him speak on his pain and his struggle if it makes him happy or if he thinks his words will inspire others to do right.
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-19-2012, 7:11 AM Reply   
Having worked with Randall at Gator I can say I know him ! The simple fact is Randall cares even through all the industry bull**** he still cares compound that with the personal demons that you or I would have faded away on. He struggles everyday to make himself and his sport thebest it can be everyday. The fact the his path or his opinion may not be to your liking is what keeps driving him to perfect his craft. He is just as talented or more than most of the active pros .
Flat out in my 19 years in the wakeboarding industry he is the one guy who has stayed true to his believes.
Via Con Dios Randell keep preaching and may God walk with your every step
Itch

Great comparison Mahoney very interesting
Old     (fizzz)      Join Date: Nov 2010       08-19-2012, 10:20 AM Reply   
Not impressed, very hypocritical opinion which makes him sound bitter. Love watching his riding, hopefully he keeps putting out videos and doesn't do anymore interviews. He really sounds like he's bitter wakeboarding doesn't pay him big for his style even though he says otherwise, anyways ride on vandall just talk less.............
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       08-19-2012, 8:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney86 View Post
I found it to be an awesome article... No one knows what its like until you go through what he goes through... I spent years of my life in the motorcycle stunt world and I can say it very closely represents wakeboarding in a way.. Very few people do it and even fewwer make it to a financially succesful level.. There are the OGs who are making a great living and occassionally a few new younger guys. There is also the real OGs who are sponsored and making dirt but are progessing the sports to a new level. One thing I learned out of stunt riding and wakeboarding is there is 2 groups there are show/competition riders and there are freeriders who push the sport to new levels but normally suck at comps and shows. Vandall hit the nail on the head, wakeboarding just like stunt riding shows/contentst are rehearsed gymnastics. Most riders in both do the same tricks year after year and throw in maybe a few new tricks a year... When youre sponsered you are paid to perform and to win, throwing new risky tricks that you barely land in practice is no good in a competition setting. Therefore you stick to what youre solid in and throw some style into it, solid styled runs win comps. The lesser name guys are pinching pennys to ride and risking not making it to work the next day to perform new tricks for the love of the sport but no matter how technical and nasty these guys are, they rarely get seen on the show/comp circuit because they try things in comps and they look sloppy. Sure there are people who mix both, Travis Pastrana is one, Shaun White is another but these guys are few and far between.

Yes Vandalls attitude by not shouting out sponsors will not get him far, however not everyone wants to "blow the man" like that and some sponsors respect that. Vandall would be just as happy pinching pennys but riding every day of his life, compared to being one of the Soven brothers and sucking at the corporation ***. Hey there is a price to pay for both and Im not saying either way is wrong. If you want to make it rich in this game then there is a kiss ass price to pay, if you want to stay underground and be like Vandall there is a price to pay as well.

I got out of stunt riding and fmx because I saw where the sport was going. There was a select few "good ole' boys club" who made it big and are doing there thing all of which I was close friends with. I did the Monster Jam tour, the XDL tour and local stuff. I worked my butt off all day and rode til the late hours of the night in order to keep my passion alive. I did shows and comps for dirt because thats what the sponsors wanted. I needed to keep sponsors happy because they kept my bikes up and running and gas in my truck. I was one of the guys who wanted to progress the sport and try new things and not to the same run comp after comp after comp.... Hell most of the top riders these days are doing the same runs from 10years ago with some variations and a few new tricks. Though I know a group of guys out in Arizona who are some of the most technical riders pushing the limits of their bikes to never before seen levels and their first comp, they didnt even place.

Being a professional athlete is politics. So I give huge props for Vandall on that article. Still keeping the sport dirty and progessing in a more underground way. From guys I know who have met him say he is one of the realest, chillest dudes theyve ever met, but the Sovens who we all look up to I always hear are d-bags however ever wants to be them. I made a decision to get out of stunt riding as I wanted more things in life as I got older and the sponsors and the comps just sucked the passion out of me, it was something that use to be an escape and fun that turned in work/a job. It then required quitting a dream and using my colllege degree and getting a real job. Do I miss it, hell yeah, but now I have the money to still ride my bikes for fun and have the money to afford a great wake boat. With sucess comes sacrafice and again I have nothing but love for Vandall for doing his thing....
+1 on the stuntriding part. I was into it when it was actually fun, not when everyone started hitting the lots to practice their damn XDL runs. The good ole days of the first AZ Finest hot sauce videos....
Old     (Mahoney86)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-20-2012, 4:28 AM Reply   
^^^ seems like forever ago... back when Stunt USA was good before Warped Toys took it over lol
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       08-21-2012, 1:50 PM Reply   
hahaha Stunt USA, totally forgot about them. Are you on stuntride or stuntlife?