Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Naeb)      Join Date: Oct 2010       10-07-2010, 9:05 PM Reply   
Hey everyone! These boards are great.
Is the following correct for HLCD Tower Speakers? If anyone knows of any less expensive list prices, could you please help me out and tell me where to go? Thanks.

Bullet 770 $874
Krypt 6.5” $ 574 - 8” $649
Wet Sounds Pro 60 $799 Pro 80 $999
Exile X7 $849

Thanks again,
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-07-2010, 10:54 PM Reply   
If you are looking for the best price, I would suggest contacting each company directly.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-08-2010, 6:31 AM Reply   
the krypt speakers can be had for less than $200 a set on e bay but they come without cans
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-08-2010, 12:52 PM Reply   
NK - I cant speak for the other brands but as far as the Exile pricing goes, yes, thats correct on the XM7's. If you need any Exile questions answered, give us a call at the office (888-249-0970) and we'll run you through your options and can find you a local retailer if needed. Can also go over your current stereo setup details.

Cheers,

-Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-08-2010, 12:53 PM Reply   
I know bazooka makes HLCD speakers now. I have never heard them in person or anything but they are cheaper.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-08-2010, 2:25 PM Reply   
Contact David at Earmark Marine, he carries everything but the Krypt in his storefront. I bet he can be very competitive with his prices when compared to what you listed.

BTW, do your negotiating offline with individual dealers, you will have better luck!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-08-2010, 2:40 PM Reply   
HSE Trident http://www.hsetrident.com/html/speaker_info.html

NVS http://www.nvs1.net/tower_speakers.html
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-08-2010, 3:03 PM Reply   
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wakeboard-Tower-...item3a5f4ca725
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-08-2010, 3:21 PM Reply   
You can't beat Earmark Marine right now with David's promo page. He's got lots of Bullet 770 speaker AND amp packages. You can get a pair of Bullet 770's AND a JL Audio G1300 amp for $899. I have two pair of Bullet 770 and two JL G1300 amps, plus 6 Bullet 605" cabin speakers...all from Earmark.

http://www.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart/home.php?cat=337
Old     (jdoggy_73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-08-2010, 8:56 PM Reply   
Without knowing your budget or location, it's tough to give you specific advice or shops. As I posted in another thread for (2) Exile XM7's & Exile HARPOON Amp & HSE RVC Volume Control package:

http://www.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart...cat=337&page=1

I've got the same tower set-up and paid about the same... hopefully your local dealer will match this or DYI install if you know what you're doing.
Old     (Tmannsx80)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-10-2010, 12:45 PM Reply   
Whats up Naeb the price on the exile xm-7s seems to be right around in the middle- price wise but in my own opinion has the best technology and is the newest and greatest. I have 6 on my tower. You cant beat the options of 100% theft proof tower speaker, a speaker that spins 360degrees while playing and a company that is there to help you everystep of the way. Good luck
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-11-2010, 7:02 AM Reply   
Wow - time to call BS.

Are you sure that thosse speakers are 100% theftproof? Please tell me you really don't beleive that they are 100% theftproof.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-11-2010, 7:47 AM Reply   
Well if you are going to detach the Exile XM7s, be sure that you take them with you instead of leaving them stored in the boat. The remaining collars can be a dead giveaway and mean easy pickings for a would-be thief.
We carry three of the four HLCD brands listed by the OP, Bullet HollowPoint, Exile and WetSounds, and we have all of them side by side on a working display. Each one of them has something distinctive to offer. I would certainly recommend any of the three depending on the individual, his particular taste and priorities. Having all three in the same environment, on equal power and with the ability to switch between them will diffuse alot of the arguements. I wish everyone could here the comparison like we have it.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-11-2010, 12:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
I wish everyone could here the comparison like we have it.
I'd love to hear them all on after the other. You're offering your customers an excellent opportunity to make an informed decision, Kudos.

Do you think it is something that you are can capture on video?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-11-2010, 1:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy_smith View Post
Wow - time to call BS.

Are you sure that thosse speakers are 100% theftproof? Please tell me you really don't beleive that they are 100% theftproof.
If a guy was to remove them from his tower and take them home with him or whatever I'd say it's pretty much 100% theftproof. If some would be thief was to follow this individual home, break into his house, kick his dog, then steal his speakers I guess you have a point. They would only be 99.99% theftproof then.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-12-2010, 12:42 AM Reply   
Hate,
Since they are all great products I doubt that the audio quality of a camera and computer playback speakers could capture the finer differences. Although we can switch up to 18 different tower speakers we don't waste valuable space on non-contenders. If its on display longterm then we consider it to be a legit choice. This does however bring some of the hype down to earth and show real distinctions in an equal environment on equal power.
What is funny is that there is still alot of bias. A consumer without brand pre-conditioning might follow a random pattern on his selection based on what forms his/her perception of what sounds the best, which is subjective and normal. An existing brand owner or representative of any particular brand tends to hear what they believed in advance regardless of the actual audio experience. Selection is often made instantly on sight before the sound is turned on. A blindfold test delivers completely different results. All you can do is provide a fair setting and let the chips fall.
I also believe that the 'best' always has to be qualified. Best value, best output, best sound quality based on what preconceptions? No single product is the best in every category. So I always like to ask alot of questions first before assuming I know what is best for a particular person, boat or application.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       10-12-2010, 7:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinpdx View Post
NK - I cant speak for the other brands but as far as the Exile pricing goes, yes, thats correct on the XM7's. If you need any Exile questions answered, give us a call at the office (888-249-0970) and we'll run you through your options and can find you a local retailer if needed. Can also go over your current stereo setup details.

Cheers,

-Brian
Exile Audio
Brian -

We all appreciate the support you're trying to offer your customers, potential or current, but please support the community you're trying to obtain business from by becoming a supporting vendor...
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-12-2010, 7:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNvisible View Post
Brian -

We all appreciate the support you're trying to offer your customers, potential or current, but please support the community you're trying to obtain business from by becoming a supporting vendor...
What the hell? You got a vested interest here? Quite opinionated for a newb aren't you? Just be glad our audio pros show up here and lend their opinions to those that ask these questions and quit trying to be the voice of WW and the community, invisible would be better in this case.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-12-2010, 8:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzman View Post
What the hell? You got a vested interest here? Quite opinionated for a newb aren't you? Just be glad our audio pros show up here and lend their opinions to those that ask these questions and quit trying to be the voice of WW and the community, invisible would be better in this case.
Yeah he said push you tword a dealer. Unfortunately there are plenty of areas that have Zero coverage. Not sure how Brian runs his business but typically when products are purchased direct they are done at full retail. I am sure no other stereo manu has EVER sold direct. Nice wet sounds set up.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-12-2010, 8:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Brian -

In an attempt to save WW you make yourself out to be quite the toolbag.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-12-2010, 10:46 AM Reply   
Unvis - I think in a previous post I mentioned to you that Exile indeed already has company plans to do that. If you want details you can give the office a call and speak to my marketing guy and he can go over those plans with you. I read somewhere you where looking at upgrading to Exile amps. If you want to do that, I'll send 100% of the profit to this site in support that way you can support WW too. I dont mean that in a "call you out way". Lets all support!

Shoot me a PM if you want to do that. And even if you dont... no crime, I'd be happy to help ya kick around any stereo upgrade idea's. After 20+ years of the stereo circus, I know a thing or two.

-Brian
Old     (rukie)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-12-2010, 10:50 AM Reply   
I can see Unvisible's point though I agree it is great that the audio folks offer so much insight into their products and help solve many problems without being directly compensated for their time. That being said, they are advertising (in an indirect way) by helping and IMO it would be nice if they supported the forum that allows them the oppurtunity to reach so many potential customers.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-12-2010, 11:03 AM Reply   
Kland@bulletlines.com has the Krypt's for a 175.00 with crossovers
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       10-12-2010, 12:38 PM Reply   
Yes, i'm a massive tool for asking that someone consistently trying to drum up business on a forum, while several other companies are paying big bucks for the rights to advertise here, support the community he seems to value so highly as a marketing medium? You couldnt be more ignorant. I am a supporting vendor on several websites, not relating to boats, I pay to support those communities, so that I will have continued access to new consumers that will purchase product from me.
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       10-12-2010, 12:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzman View Post
A newb huh? how about you post pictures of the stereo you built and designed in your boat, and i'll do the same...
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-12-2010, 12:40 PM Reply   
What is the point about calling Brian out for currently not having banner ads on this site yet? Especially when he had already stated that they are in the works. Why not call out other people who offer support who are associated with a particular manufacture/business for them not paying for banner ads as well? Heck you shoud also be calling out every one on here who provides a recommendation or gives support to particular brand, because they were just involved in indirect advertising.
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       10-12-2010, 12:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesack View Post
What is the point about calling Brian out for currently not having banner ads on this site yet? Especially when he had already stated that they are in the works. Why not call out other people who offer support who are associated with a particular manufacture/business for them not paying for banner ads as well? Heck you shoud also be calling out every one on here who provides a recommendation or gives support to particular brand, because they were just involved in indirect advertising.
You seem highly intelligent. I hope you didn't strain your self formulating that response.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-12-2010, 12:51 PM Reply   
Just so we don't all forget, here is the OP's question

Is the following correct for HLCD Tower Speakers? If anyone knows of any less expensive list prices, could you please help me out and tell me where to go? Thanks.

Bullet 770 $874
Exile X7 $849

Thanks again,
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-12-2010, 12:51 PM Reply   
UNvisible - Thank you. And no I did not strain myself formulating that response. With what I said, all should haven been common knowledge to everyone prior to my post.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-12-2010, 12:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
A newb huh? how about you post pictures of the stereo you built and designed in your boat, and i'll do the same...
Who's talking systems? Show me yours and i'll show you mine? Pretty childish, how old are you? I've done many but that's besides the point and not the issue here tool. For a WW newb you come on here like your Billy Graham of the boarding community preaching your opinion on right and wrong. Who gives a crap and why should you? Save it for your congregation.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-12-2010, 12:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Just so we don't all forget, here is the OP's question

Bullet 770 $874
Exile X7 $849

Thanks again,
Thanks Murph for putting this thread back on track after the interuption.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-12-2010, 1:08 PM Reply   
I would love to meet all you guys sometime....Razzman, Big Nate, Unvisible, Brianpdx, 05mobuis LSV, Hate and others the regularly like to stand up for their preferred brand....me included.

I bet we would all be friends by the end of the day.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-12-2010, 1:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Yes, i'm a massive tool for asking that someone consistently trying to drum up business on a forum, while several other companies are paying big bucks for the rights to advertise here, support the community he seems to value so highly as a marketing medium? You couldnt be more ignorant. I am a supporting vendor on several websites, not relating to boats, I pay to support those communities, so that I will have continued access to new consumers that will purchase product from me.
Funny you mention ignorance. If you were UN-ignorant you would have already known from the last time you tried to call out brian from Exile he's had that conversation with David and is already working that. I can dig that up for you but given your WW superhero status I'm sure you can find it.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-12-2010, 1:17 PM Reply   
NVS with Zapco Amps.... WS 420.... with HSE RVC.... all works well... LOUD AND CLEAR...
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-12-2010, 2:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05mobiuslsv View Post
Funny you mention ignorance. If you were UN-ignorant you would have already known from the last time you tried to call out brian from Exile he's had that conversation with David and is already working that. I can dig that up for you but given your WW superhero status I'm sure you can find it.
You should also uniformly use that paintbrush to paint the retailers that frequent this section to drum up business should also really be supporting the site as well. Really they have the most to gain financially from the manufacturers chiming in with the advice.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-12-2010, 3:51 PM Reply   
Hey, change of subject. Whatever happened to the OP who joined just before making his first and only post (at this time). Any follow up questions?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-12-2010, 3:58 PM Reply   
I really fail to see the reason why anyone gets on here to police the contributions of members. David has people in place that do it. I feel that by their contrubutions they are supporting this sight. I know that when I see that Brian, Tim, Phil, David, Ben (soundbox) and the like post on a thread, I'm quick to read it and I'm sure that I am not alone in that. Whether they pay or not they directly contribute to the sites traffic which draws in advertisers. They take the time to help make us informed consumers, obviously they want to peddle their wares but they are more often than not are careful to advise that said consumer try out different products to determine what is best for them.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-12-2010, 6:28 PM Reply   
Contact bullet lines they are doing a crazy sale on their new design speakers
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-12-2010, 7:12 PM Reply   
How do you guys find out about these deals? They're not advertised on Kens site? Oh wait I know...
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-12-2010, 7:26 PM Reply   
I got an email from them. I have bought a few racks over the years and I am on their mailing list. I actually bought all my bullet HLCD's off ebay. I personally like the look of the NVS speakers the best. If I had a bigger budget I would have gone with them.
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       10-12-2010, 7:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
How do you guys find out about these deals? They're not advertised on Kens site? Oh wait I know...
email from his website
Old     (Naeb)      Join Date: Oct 2010       10-13-2010, 10:01 PM Reply   
All I can say is wow.

Thanks for the info from everyone. I am definitely going to use all this info to make my tower speaker purchase. My in boat speakers are all setup and I went with Alpine and they sound great so far, but not knowing anything about HLCD's has postponed progress.

I do have another question. Does anybody have any Info about the Roswell HLCD speakers? I couldn't find anything anywhere.

Thanks again
Old     (Tmannsx80)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-14-2010, 12:14 AM Reply   
Alright murphy Im sorry there not 100% theft proof, there 99.9% theft proof. My whole point was the fact that they come down in less than 30secs and you can go ahead and take them home. Not talking down any other brand names but sometimes that can be a deal breaker especially if you leave your boat visible to anyone.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-14-2010, 7:56 AM Reply   
Roswell, makes some cool innovative products (more aesthetic than anything) but this is their first foray into the Pro Audio category and I'm not even sure they have been released.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-14-2010, 8:18 AM Reply   
I heard that Roswell was attempting an OEM HLCD project for Nautique but there were issues and this got put on hold. We've got alot of people trying to get in on the HLCD action but not all of them have the technical capablities to bring something worthwhile or different to the table. While Roswell builds and supports tower accessories I'm a bit skeptical as to what they may know about speakers. We will see.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-14-2010, 8:41 AM Reply   
There is a pic of the Roswell HLCD's in the new Transworld Wake. I think it said spring 11 release.
Old     (HateAndPain)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-14-2010, 2:26 PM Reply   
You can also view them on their website. All their other speakers are made by Phoenix Gold, not a fan.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-14-2010, 3:17 PM Reply   
Phoenix Gold. Its getting off topic but there is something going on there. Years ago PG was 'THE' premier high current amplifier in mobile electronics. They never were much of a woofer or speaker company although they had offerings like everyone else...nothing special in that category. It kind of drifted off track and then sold out. The line turned into nothing more than cheap imports...just another flea market brand. Thus the speakers in the Roswell pods. Gone. Now the original president and one of the key technical guys permantly reside overseas. Recently Aamp of America bought all the rights to the brand. The overseas technical guy went from consultant to full time employee. They have introduced a new line of amplifiers based on the topology (at least very similar to with the obvious advancements that time and technology would provide) of the original PG amplifiers from twenty years ago. Pretty good stuff. Hate, you should take a very close look at those new PG amplifiers just for grins. So the new Phoenix Gold stuff is a lot different from what you have seen in the past decade and much more like the vintage gear. Just an FYI for those who care.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-14-2010, 3:23 PM Reply   
Thats really great to hear because the OG PG gear was killer. I'm sick of these great companys selling out to overseas and putting out crap Soundstream, MB Quart, etc.
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-15-2010, 7:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Yes, i'm a massive tool for asking that someone consistently trying to drum up business on a forum, while several other companies are paying big bucks for the rights to advertise here, support the community he seems to value so highly as a marketing medium?

Since you've been an integral part of this community for so long I suppose it's only logical that you know how much people are paying to advertise. Including some of the people that helped Dave make this place a premier forum. Thanks for the sage like insight.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-15-2010, 8:42 AM Reply   
Loved the PG stuff.

Is there any association with PG amps nowdays and the exile amps? Some of the specs are exactly identical. AND BY NO MEANS am I saying it is bad or good if they are. IMO, the new PG amps are solid and if Exile used their platform - Kudos to them

Last edited by murphy_smith; 10-15-2010 at 8:48 AM.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-15-2010, 9:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Loved the PG stuff.

Is there any association with PG amps nowdays and the exile amps? Some of the specs are exactly identical. AND BY NO MEANS am I saying it is bad or good if they are. IMO, the new PG amps are solid and if Exile used their platform - Kudos to them
That seems kinda funny given the PG amps just came out and the Exile amps have been out quite a while now .
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-15-2010, 11:07 AM Reply   
It looks like their is an association b/t the PG and Exile. All you have to do is google it!!! It sounds like the old PG guys knew what they were doing whenthe built the Exile amps and through my searching have read lots of positive reviews. IMO, there is nothing wrong with getting guys PG to help with amps - Hats off to Exile for picking those guys up.

http://soundbuggy.com/Eric/Car%20Aud...0_4/index.html

Last edited by murphy_smith; 10-15-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-15-2010, 11:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
It looks like their is an association b/t the PG and Exile. All you have to do is google it!!! It sounds like the old PG guys knew what they were doing whenthe built the Exile amps and through my searching have read lots of positive reviews. IMO, there is nothing wrong with getting guys PG to help with amps - Hats off to Exile for picking those guys up.

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that the Exile guys used to work for PG before they started Exile. I think it's been discussed on here before. Not quite sure you have the story right.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-15-2010, 11:21 AM Reply   
Just spit balling here but maybe since the Exile guys are old school PG guys maybe they came up with the design first. It would seem likely if in fact the XI's came to market first which was 2009. If PG's getting old school why not enlist some of their former guys to help with some bad ass amp design's.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-15-2010, 11:27 AM Reply   
I did not know their was such association.

Hate - I agree 100%. Based on release dates, it looks like Exile and PG released those amps prior to PG's - AAMP realeasing those amps.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-15-2010, 11:32 AM Reply   
Yeah from what I have seen from Exile they seem pretty innovative and don't tend to lean on othe companys for design. By that I mean they're not just repping out the same thing everyone else is doing. The same can be said for Wetsounds and Bullet.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-15-2010, 11:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
I did not know their was such association.

Hate - I agree 100%. Based on release dates, it looks like Exile and PG released those amps prior to PG's - AAMP realeasing those amps.

Is that a typo or do you still not get it and think that Exile and PG are one in the same?

Last edited by 05mobiuslsv; 10-15-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-15-2010, 11:37 AM Reply   
I wonder if the idea originated in house at PG for those amps and the guys left before they could get them to production. They are definately simliar and power and design...looks and size are different.

It wouldn't be the first time someone took an idea that started at one company and brought it to another company and in turn was able to get it produced and on the market faster that the orig company
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-15-2010, 11:39 AM Reply   
Their is an association. The PG guys left PG and came to Exile, the two are associated.

Exile is Exile and PG is AAMP....I GET IT
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-15-2010, 11:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Their is an association. The PG guys left PG and came to Exile, the two are associated.

Exile is Exile and PG is AAMP....I GET IT
Yeah about as much as there is an association between WS and ARC Audio. They left PG and started Exile.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-15-2010, 11:42 AM Reply   
Similar, but not identical as the chassis orientation and circuit boards are different. As NuBu stated the current Exile amplifiers where first to market before the PG. The Morgan West individual mentioned in the review, who was with the original PG, then X3 Development and then Exile, is now a full time employee with Aamp of America which owns the new PG brand. Morgan West resides overseas as does the original president of PG. Do not confuse this new Phoenix Gold with the PG you have seen the last decade. The new PG is back to its roots making excellent high current amplifiers based on the same topology as Exile and roughly the same approach as the original PG amplifiers nearly 20 years ago. Actually, Earmark was one of the first ten Phoenix Gold dealers in the nation and many of the original cast have been in our stores for training.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-15-2010, 11:49 AM Reply   
and I view it as plus that the two are associated...If i was Exile - I would make it known that are amps were a colloborated effort b/t the well known PG engineers and the Exile Engineers.

that is the reason i bought my arc audio amps which are very similiar to wetsounds. Robert Zeff of Zapco had his hand in arc audio...

I
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-15-2010, 11:52 AM Reply   
But it see you point NuBu. The guys left PG and the amps were built and designed by Exile People.

No worries...it all good
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-15-2010, 12:22 PM Reply   
I love carpet...I love lamp
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-15-2010, 1:27 PM Reply   
Oh boy. I feel bad for the poor guy that asked about HLCD's. This thread has gone off the cliff lol.

Since we are on the industry topic now, I'll clear a few things up for the crew. The old school PG gear of the 90's was awesome stuff. As the company evolved, so did the product aim. And unfortunately after 15 years at the company I found it time to leave because I didnt agree with the evolution. Yes, true, I left and took several people with me. The company I founded in 2003 is called X3 development and Morgan and others where part of that. You guys would all probably get a kick out of the X3 website because it showcases the design of what you know as the XM7. Anyway, Exile is a brand owned by X3. Two years ago or so, when PG finally was on its way to liquidation, AAMP bought the assets and wanted to re-launch it. They hired Morgan to help them. I think he's done a great job.

And yes, for the record, the Name "Exile" was born out of my frustration with the original PG company gone bad. I effectively put myself into Exile. It wasnt fun getting sued 60 days after I left. But hey, the rest is history...

I'd view the new PG as a fresh page in the book.

-Brian
Exile Audio

ps: I even remember training earmark guys in davids stores with the Mckinney sales guys...whoa! long time ago.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-15-2010, 2:28 PM Reply   
No Brian,
I was speaking of when Phoenix Gold sent their people to me so that I could train them.

David
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-15-2010, 2:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e_m View Post
No Brian,
I was speaking of when Phoenix Gold sent their people to me so that I could train them.

David
Was that about the time they started their downward sprial
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-15-2010, 2:46 PM Reply   
I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that the answer may incriminate me.
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-15-2010, 2:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05mobiuslsv View Post
Was that about the time they started their downward sprial
Nice!
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-15-2010, 2:55 PM Reply   
Relating to the early Phoenix Gold products, here is a van that we outfitted from scratch that won the world finals for best installation, all classes inclusive.

The four amplifiers were Phoenix Gold.

http://earmarkcaraudio.com/install_technovan.asp
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-15-2010, 3:12 PM Reply   
Man I remember those old school amps the size of small coffee table and damn near as heavy as a sheet of plywood .
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-15-2010, 3:13 PM Reply   
LOL David. Careful or I'll have Paul Wilson give you a call. You remember... the guy you so gracefully sent to us... OMG!

Didnt he work on that van? My gosh. Been so long, I cant remember.

Wow. blast from the past.

-Brian
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-15-2010, 3:39 PM Reply   
Brian,
Must be in the water up there. You send a guy up to the NW and before you know it he's trying to take credit for everything. But seriously, Paul was very, very capable but had no hand in the van project as you see it. Several guys worked on it but the work was not acceptable to me and we gutted it and started over from scratch several times. Poor guys. I did the design and a fellow named Sam Montobono did 100 percent of the workmanship. Sam was actually our electronics repairman. He nailed everything the first time. He was more particular than me. All the interior structure was formed from birch and fiberglass mat panels. There was so much in the way of automation, lighting, security, under the hood and more that we didn't capture. Sold the van a couple of years ago for $5K with less than 10k miles and all the work intact. It was a different era.
David
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-15-2010, 3:43 PM Reply   
Correction. I think Paul researched and sourced the motorized air controls for the concealed fax, laptop and printer. Sam did all the installation.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-15-2010, 4:56 PM Reply   
He was one unique fellow. Thats for sure....

have a great weekend all. I'm off to the wake9 surf weekend in the bay area. I'll post up a few pics if i get a chance...

-Brian