Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       06-09-2003, 1:06 PM Reply   
Last week in June I will be towing
my boat from Tampa FL to Knoxville TN
for a week of houseboating on Norris lake.

Any tips on what to do and bring
in preparation for such a long tow?
I have a new truck and a brand new tandum axle.

Also, any recommendations while towing
with the houseboat??
I'm not sure how much we'll be moving around...
but I'll be the most mechanically inclined
on the trip and ultimately responsible for
all three boats!
Old     (sn0w)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-09-2003, 1:21 PM Reply   
I would make sure the truck has clean oil, check the grease points (ex: ball joints), and also the fluid in the tranny and differentials.

For the boat, make sure the trailer's bearings have enough grease and that all tires are inflated properly. Always prepare for the worst and bring extras.

THats just the basics that I usually do when we are heading out on any journey. Hope that helps.
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-09-2003, 2:23 PM Reply   
Randy had very good advice. Bring a nice compliment of tools. You just never know, and you don't want a easy fix ruining your trip. I wouldn't worry about the houseboat, the marina you rent from will (should) be more than happy to assist you even out on the water. If you are towing your boat with the house boat, make sure you have someone to watch your ski boat will under tow. Especially when stopping/slowing, turning etc. Also, don't try to tie the house boat up (beaching, etc) with your boat still in tow. Have someone drive it, or it will be a pain. I don't know how big that lake is, but make sure where ever you stay on the water you stay close enough to a marina to get gas, ice, and other esentials. Have fun.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-09-2003, 3:48 PM Reply   
norris is awesome. well worth the drive for a week long trip.
Old    martyc            06-10-2003, 6:52 AM Reply   
Sandy-
Bring a spring suit. Our lakes here in Tennssee are still a little chilly.
Old     (midwestrider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-10-2003, 11:54 AM Reply   
You don't need a spring suit. I was in Dale Hollow last weekend and water temps are right around 71-72 degrees. Yes, it is a little cool, but definitely trunkin temps. Try the low 60s like it is here in Indiana, then you need a spring suit.

JB
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-10-2003, 12:35 PM Reply   
A strong sring loaded hook for towing your boat behing the HB, it makes it easier for connection. At least a 50' tow rope. If towing multiple boats behing HB, piggy back style is most efficient, just more dangerous when slowing the houseboat.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-10-2003, 12:57 PM Reply   
josh, even after 5 months here in FL I trunked it in early may on lake shafer when i was back home visiting.
Old    dwe            06-10-2003, 2:35 PM Reply   
Sandy,

As the others have said, for the tow to the lake have a spare tire for the trailer, the right tools and make sure the tires are properly inflated. Bring a strong line to tow your boat behind the houseboat, 50' would be the min. I like a longer line. The longer the line the more room you have to manuver the boats, but you do want to drop whatever you are towing when beaching or docking the houseboat. Also, if the boat your towing has an open bow, put the bow cover on it. A couple of good wakes can dump alot of water over the bow when towing. You can't over prepair for one of these trips. You may bring things you don't use but if you need them it can make or break your trip. Bring a jump starter along, always good to have with you. Most of all have fun, houseboats are great.

David
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-10-2003, 4:56 PM Reply   
One other small thing that my dealer suggested was to remove the Perfect Pass paddlewheel or I put a peice of duct tape over it. It will spin while driving, and over a couple of days at those higher speeds could wear out the axle or pin.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-11-2003, 9:39 AM Reply   
I was just gonna put up a topic like this, since I'll probably be towing the MC to Cumberland from around Chicago for a Labor Day houseboat trip...but not with a new truck, try 102k....Hopefully she'll hold up well, anything in particular to look for/inspect besides what's stated above?

For the record: I've been trunkin' it in N.Indiana since the first week of May.
Old     (midwestrider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-11-2003, 12:16 PM Reply   
Apparently I am some kind of pu$$y ( ) because I think the water in Indiana is colder than hell! However, the water temps haven't changed much since early May, so that qualification doesn't count. Anyhow Sandy, have a good time, the lakes of Tennessee are awesome...butter all day long. NAW, you should be alright, the roads are pretty flat until you get off 65 in Kentucky. I just towed a boat to Dale Hollow (just south of Cumberland) last weekend with my Jeep Grand Cherokee and it barely had to work. You should be just fine with your rig. Peace.

Jb

(Message edited by midwestrider on June 11, 2003)

(Message edited by midwestrider on June 11, 2003)
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       06-11-2003, 1:18 PM Reply   
Sandy,

It seems we have a lot in common. Like you, I work in the Public Relations/Marketing field. Also, like you, I recently had an extremely gloomy outlook from a chiropractor regarding my wakeboarding future as a result of back issues. (I've got an MRI scheduled for tomorrow morning through my regular doc to get to the bottom of this.) Anyway, I live in Knoxville and ride with a couple of WW regulars here and some non-WW folks too. If you want to/can hook up, that would be awesome (865.300.7633). If not, that's cool too. Hope you have a great time here in the Volunteer State!
Old    tommyadrian5            06-11-2003, 1:58 PM Reply   
You all are tropical, try the chesapeake bay late april, 45 degree water, 50 air, Full wetsuit, hat, gloves. Still only 57 degrees water temp now in june, its been a COOOOLLLDDD spring. Sometimes a good run makes up for it though.

(Message edited by tommyadrian5 on June 11, 2003)
Old     (faceplant409)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-15-2003, 8:50 PM Reply   
I heard a nasty story from my insurance co about a guy that towed a brand new X star behind a houseboat a couple of years ago. He got out into open water and about a half hour later the houseboat quit pulling. He went to open the engine hatch and found his X star had become a sub marine!!! The houseboat was a jet and the rope was too short....Cost the ins co a bundle!!
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-16-2003, 2:25 PM Reply   
I think it will be very important to bring along a committed group of fellow Florida wakeboarders/wakesurfers in order to guarantee success in what is sure to be a challenging and hostile environment!

Thanks for asking, I'll pack my things...
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       06-17-2003, 6:13 AM Reply   
Ahhhh.... the darn trip just fell through.
The cheesedog who started the whole idea
forgot to tell his wife he invited us and
another couple!

The wife, in the meantime,
invited a bunch of cousins and whatnot.
We and the other couple gracefully bowed-out
to save this goofball's butt.
Then he says..."Don't let her find out I did this"

HA! You're toast dude! No way can my wife keep
hush! HAHAHAHAHAAHHA!!!

So, I still have the time off and will be
heading to the same area for a week
of riding and boating. Maybe we'll get lucky
and can find a houseboat on short notice.
Old    leggester            06-17-2003, 7:12 AM Reply   
Ouch! That stinks. He's gonna owe you big time for quite awhile! ;)
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-17-2003, 8:58 AM Reply   
Do you guys mind sleeping in a tent? Most houseboat rentals have a large upper deck you could put a tent. More the marrier IMO.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-17-2003, 9:00 AM Reply   
upper deck + tent = no sleeping in (HOT)

Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-17-2003, 10:32 AM Reply   
I've done it several times, it actually isn't that bad. Even in the middle of the day and you have a decent tent it's OK to take a nap. It helps if there is a breeze. But most of the time by the time you want to sleep your either to plastered to care or it's late so there is time for it to cool down. It's even better if your boat has a canopy.