Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2008

Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-03-2008, 9:56 AM Reply   
OK so I grew up on a hot boat, I love the sound of a straight exhaust V8, is there any mods to be done to a stock v215 exhaust so I can hear it?? It sounds sweet out of the water but once launched i can only hear my vdrive and the E40 on the stereo

Or is this bad style in the wake world??

just wonderin I know if it ain't broke don't fix it but I heard a malibu cruise by on the delta one day and it sounded burly like a boat should,

call me a hillbilly or redneck but once a car guy always a car guy

just wondering...
thanks
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-03-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
My two cents: It's loud in a boat as it is, that would just make it worse. You'd have to turn the stereo up to hear it, the crew would have to yell more and not everyone likes a loud boat, especially boarding behind it. I'm a car and harley guy and love hearing them but in my boat i don't like it. Also i'm not sure with the newer engines you could make a change without affecting the computer and the way the boat runs.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-03-2008, 10:17 AM Reply   
true

thats a good point about the computer too, just wondering what that malibu guy had going or maybe he was going fast enough so the exhaust was out of the water and being on the shore I could hear it better than the peeps inside could
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-03-2008, 12:04 PM Reply   
I am going in the exact opposite direction of you. I am installing a fresh air exhaust for wakesurfing but also quites the engine exhaust as well. Some boats can have the sideswipe exhaust installed but not sure on a v215. As around to see if any dealer has done the sideswipe exhaust....Typically I have seen it on I/Os but I have seen a couple of v drives with this.
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-03-2008, 12:13 PM Reply   
take the mufflers out if you want it loud, kinda annoying sounding though since the manifolds arent really tuned compared to a hot boat exhaust if you ask me. we did it to a centurion recently it was kinda annoying
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-03-2008, 12:15 PM Reply   
cool, I think it sounds like more trouble than its worth, I might go with getting some stainless tips for it though, gotta have some chrome on the exhaust somewhere!
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-03-2008, 1:06 PM Reply   
Jump it out to the side at the water line and then you get the noise you are looking for.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-03-2008, 1:44 PM Reply   
http://www.marineparts.com/mpf/mpf324.aspx

This system allows you to switch back and forth, with the flick of a switch, at any time...
Old     (flattirenotube)      Join Date: May 2007       04-03-2008, 1:48 PM Reply   
If you are going to do it I would suggest using Captains Call (not sure if it possible on a wakeboat, not sure why it wouldn't be), that way you can switch it on and off if you want. My buddy has a 24' sea ray with the 8.1L in it and it is sweet when you flip the exhaust to open, but at the same time we wouldn't want it open all the time, just to loud and way to close to the engine. Think about it, in a car you have the cab and are generally 5' or more from the exhaust tip, whereas a boat you (the driver) are probably 5' or more from the tip, but not some of you passengers, and it is an open air environment. Just me thoughts, take it or leave it.
Old     (mechmaster)      Join Date: May 2006       04-03-2008, 2:08 PM Reply   
Something like this maybe?
http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6493&hl=exhaust
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-03-2008, 2:38 PM Reply   
My wife an audiologist who dispense hearing aids.
Give me a ring a few years after you've modifiied your muffler.

:-)
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-03-2008, 3:08 PM Reply   
quote from the malibucrew website
"I don't like the boats you can hear rumbling from a mile away. They are usually the ones with no freeboard, lots of chrome hanging off the engine popping up in the back of the boat. There is also usually a woman way past her prime in a string bikini drinking a beer right beside the guy with the beer belly in a Nascar t-shirt behind the wheel. Did I hit enough stereotypes?"

Everything except the woman past her prime in the bikini pretty much describes me!!!

Here's the boat my brother and I just put together, just to put into perspective what I think is cool, although logistically the V215 is much more comfortable and functional for taking out the family, the dog, and other friends on the lake for the day

Upload

(Message edited by chilidog on April 03, 2008)
Old     (keith2002)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-03-2008, 3:12 PM Reply   
Maybe you could start a trend and put these on your boat.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/4387/564559.html?1207259743