Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-25-2007, 8:26 PM Reply   
hey!!

So I was boxing today, and I was beating this other dude pretty bad.... but near the end, he got one hit pretty clean on my left ear, and for a few minutes my ear was ringing and it hurt pretty bad.... It wasnt horribe pain or anything so I kept boxing and a few hits later, he quit..... but tonight my ear is still wierd.... there is no pain at all, no matter what I do, but if I plug my nose and blow out, you can here an air noise coming from my ear..... Also, with my good ear completly covered, I can still here pretty good with the wierd ear, but it sounds kinda echo'ee

What do you think this is, and how long should it take to here...

What about wakeboarding... when should I chance getting water in the ear..

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!

CHRIS
Old     (monroeyd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-25-2007, 8:33 PM Reply   
I blew my eardrum about 4 years ago. It hurt like hell. If you have any concern, you should get it checked by a Dr.
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-25-2007, 8:43 PM Reply   
Sounds like you have a ruptured ear drum. If you go wakeboarding your going to get lake/river/ocean water in your inner ear. That will probably lead to an infection in your inner ear and can dammage the tiny bones responsible for hearing. You could then lose all hearing from that ear. I wouldn't risk any nasty water getting in there.
Old    murrayair            01-25-2007, 10:47 PM Reply   
Yeah, definately go see a Doc.
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-25-2007, 10:58 PM Reply   
My wife came home and shes an audiologist... lucky you.

She's typing now:
My husband is partially correct - it sounds as though you might have torn your eardrum (tympanic membrane) Only way to know for sure is to have someone look in that ear with an otoscope. If you DO have a tear or if the eardrum is gone, you should either wait until it heals or if it is not that bad there are special plugs you can wear (swimmer's plugs) that help prevent water from getting into that ear. Regardless, get it checked and go from there.

I'm back:
But the really important part is that you won the fight!!!
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-26-2007, 4:46 AM Reply   
can u ask ur wife why it wouldn't be causing me any pain at all?

And how long should it be untill it is healed?

Going to the doctor today... wish me luck
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-26-2007, 6:40 AM Reply   
I hate to say it but I rode with a guy who took a bad spill and busted his ear drum. He was out for four month's. Not likely you will be out that long but definitely get it checked out.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-26-2007, 6:44 AM Reply   
It sucks, don't go in the water, you want it to heal on it's own, the graft surgery to replace it is absolutely horrible. I busted my eardrum 3 times in 5 years wakeboarding, so now I wear a helmet that covers my ears, and I haven't had a problem since.

It should take 3-6 weeks to heal. You'll know when it's healed because that low rumbling sound you hear when you plug your ear will return only when the membrane is fully sealed.
Old     (chad_chinners)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-26-2007, 6:46 AM Reply   
I'm still struggling with a blown eardrum. Lost alot of hearing and am about to go in for surgery # 2 on it. I knew it was a blown eardrum right when it happened but it was never painful for me. And if its not too big of a whole it willl be as good as new in a few weeks.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-26-2007, 7:00 AM Reply   
i had one, hurt like hell. I went to the doc the same day and he drained out the water, h said it was pretty bad and it was perfectly healed by 3 weeks, and he gave me the ok to wakeboard
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-26-2007, 10:43 AM Reply   
alright, a lot of negatives.... but manny I am going to have to pretend yours is the only one I heard!!

I went to the doctor, and he said its a prtty good size hole, and I am scheduled to go back in 2 weeks for a check, then in one month.... he said tehres a 75 percent chance it will heal so I have my fingers crossed!!

Thanks for hte help and if you have more stories please share!!
Old     (o2binvallarta)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-26-2007, 10:59 AM Reply   
What did he say about boarding in the meantime?
Old     (chad_chinners)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-26-2007, 11:35 AM Reply   
Wasnt' trying to make it sound too bad, because I think most of the time its just a give it time to heal thing. I was just pointing out that sometimes it isn't painful. 2 things I recommend though are those wax earplugs for showers, and a bottle of those prescription eardrops just in case it starts getting infected.
Old    sealyon.net            01-26-2007, 2:10 PM Reply   
Go see a Dr. I busted mine some yrs back sking and got it full of lake water NOT FUN
Sometimes it will heal by it's self, and sometimes not.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       01-26-2007, 4:35 PM Reply   
Hey Chris,

I blew my ear drum this past summer and it didnt really hurt me either. The doc said the hole was large and I had NO chance of it healing on its own and would need surgery. But he was wrong and it healed completely within 6 weeks. Hopefully it goes well for you too!

If you're interested, here's a link to the ear plugs I used to ride while it was healing and still use now for prevention: www.proplugs.com They are @ $8.00.

Chad, sorry to hear yours did not heal so well.
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-27-2007, 12:41 PM Reply   
after a ruptured eardrum i now always ride with earplugs in.hurt like hell
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-27-2007, 1:35 PM Reply   
guess what, i just ruptured my eardrum again today. Went to the dock, its a really small rupture and mostly just bruised, should be riding again in like a week
Old     (jfisha)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-27-2007, 2:44 PM Reply   
this is a wakeboard discussion, if i were you id get a medical check up.