Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-05-2010, 8:55 AM Reply   
For all you MX guys,

I also waterski jump, and neck braces are starting to come on strong as being used in the ski jump world. I spoke with a semi-pro MX'r around here and he stated that the Leatt's are being attributed to collar bone fractures, and that the AlpineStars are less likely to, and are overall better.

Of those two, or any others I do not know of, what gives the best range of head motion (turning), and will be the least cumbersome? Also anyone's thoughts on a better one to use for my purpose?

Some skiers are using the Leatt's, others even use the football style/cowboy collar, which is desired because it has some give. Thanks
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-05-2010, 9:10 AM Reply   
I would say that for water ski jumping (I use to jump) I would go with the leatt over the A -star. here is my reason. The leatt has a strap to keep it on you teh a-star does not. this is fine in the MX world where you have jerseys and chest protectors to keep the a-star on but in water skiing i doubt that you are going to put it under your jump suit. those things are tight to start with.
As far as the give and the collar bone breaking. I doubt that you will have any problems with this hitting water. I have never had one slight pain on dirt with my Leatt. The hard braces don't have much give but I wold rather have a broke collar bone before a broken neck. Look at it this way if the crash is hard enough to break your collar bone with a hard brace, do you really think that the soft football type brace is going to do squat?
as far as range of motion, the only place that i find it limiting is ducking. Just cant do it. Everywhere else I'm fine. Behind the boat i don't see either of the hard braces being limiting at all.

Good luck , man i miss jumping, that ish is the biggest rush!!! Blows wakeboarding out of the water.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-05-2010, 10:15 AM Reply   
I spent a lot of time trying on both before I made my decision. I ended up buying a Leatt.

The colar bone break issue happens in a "chin down" impact where all of the energy is transfered to where the leatt brace meets your chest. For me, the Leatt did not line up to my colar bone. I also stood in the shop for about an hour trying the different hardware to adjust the brace into the optimal position. I also agree with Allen, in the respect that the water SHOULDN'T generate enough force to brake the colar bone, but who knows. The imporatnt thing is that you try it on, adjust it, and assess whether or not the Leatt will transfer the energy to your colar bone.

I also spent a lot of time in an Alpine Star. I didn't trust it. The idea behind the Astar brace is that it's actually engineered to break under a certain amount of force. This is to prevent he back of the brace from crushing vertebrae, which also has happened in Leatt cases. (saved the neck but broke the back) But to me, the Astar brace felt flimsy, soft, and allowed my head to travel backward much further than I was comfortable with. I did not feel protected. It felt cheap despite the extra hundred bucks that it cost. Too much flex.

I suggest you try them both on and see which one you feel comfortable with.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-05-2010, 10:41 AM Reply   
Another CIE guy... Another Leatt vote. I feel naked riding without one now. The only problem I could see with jumping is when you have to look up to spot your landing. On a dirtbike it's a bit limiting when you go down a steep hill and immediately back up another one. It's hard to look up at where you're going. It definitely limits how much you can tip your head back.

Also, It takes a while to get them to fit right. I spent a lot of time with the wedges and adjustment pieces before I was happy with it. Now I can barely tell it's there (except when you look up, like I said previously).
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-05-2010, 3:41 PM Reply   
I wear the Leatt as well. LOVE it. Like the CIE guys, I won't ride without it. If you break your collar bone, then that crash would have jacked your neck bad without it on. Don't believe all the stuff you read on the web about someones uncles cousins neighbors best friend that broke the collar bone, or whatever while wearing the leatt. The only reports I have heard about people breaking other bones are the ones that are saying without the brace, they would be in serious bad shape or dead, or paralized..That they are happy with the broken collar bone, or sore sternum considering the injury to the neck with no brace. They are comfy, easy to clean, and damn they just look good!
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-05-2010, 6:20 PM Reply   
leatt!!!
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-06-2010, 11:50 AM Reply   
Leatt also. The question I have, as I know nothing about ski jumping, is what type of helmet are you using? Neck braces are meant to be used in conjunction with a moto helmet so use with anything else may limit their ability to protect? The collarbone issue doesn't even register with me. Broken collarbones are barely even a true injury! Plate it and you're back going in no time. A broken neck never goes away..............
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-11-2010, 6:58 AM Reply   
I wear a Pro Tec BMX helmet, mainly because it's cheaper and lighter than a MX helmet. Thanks guys