Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (wakerider69)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-27-2013, 8:55 PM Reply   
Hello Wakeworld...looking for some advice on where to go next with my overheating prob. I have an 01 Malibu VLX. It overheated on me a few weeks ago while go pretty fast at the River. It got all the way up to around 220. So I powered down, floated down the river to the sand bar and kicked it there all day. The next morning, I checked the impeller, it was fine but I changed it anyways. I also checked the line running from the raw water pump to the trans cooler...nothing. Took it back out and it still overheated just from idling.

So brought it home and put it on the fake a lake and same prob with no water being sucked up and obviously no water coming out of the exhaust. Checked all the lines from thru-hull to tranny to water pump to trans cooler. Found a little lakeweed but not much.

Changed the thermostat cuz the old one looked pretty bad. Tested the new one first in a pot with water brought up to 160 and it opened fine. Still overheating!

Pulled the thermostat out, engine sucked water for a little while but the engine would not get up to 160. Turned off the motor and re-started...this time no water being sucked up....crap!

Put the t-stat back in and this time took the hose off of the tranny (that connects to the intake side of the raw water pump) and put it in a bucket of water. Turned the engine on and it sucked water no problem and plenty of water coming out the exhaust. Put a garden hose in the bucket so the water would be replenished. Let it run to get it up to 160...everything was fine until it hit 160. As soon as it hit that mark the engine stopped sucking water and it started to overheat. WTF?

So that's where I'm at...any suggestions? Thanks!!!!!