Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-24-2010, 1:26 PM Reply   
I would kill this kid!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37896025...ost/?gt1=43001
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-24-2010, 1:36 PM Reply   
Wow is all I can say. He saved $30 though!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-24-2010, 4:12 PM Reply   
Lame! Sounds like a reason for them to not pay the winner.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-25-2010, 4:59 AM Reply   
The rules should be who catches the biggest fish. The end.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-25-2010, 5:07 AM Reply   
I understand the rules, but it says he was the first mate, typically all the mate does is bait hooks and help manage lines, he doesnt actually fish.

And M-Dizzle, they still paid the million, just to the next biggest fish.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-25-2010, 6:27 AM Reply   
Well salt water fishing is a high dollar sport. I don't see why you would even wait to read the rule book till you were returning. This is what happens when you don't have your junk in order. Most of these people that go out half a$$ed like this are the ones that show up lost on the news.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-25-2010, 7:09 AM Reply   
This was all over the news here last week as the Big Rock gets some coverage since it is just down the road...

Sorry but when the possibility of 933K of prize $$ is there, get your ducks in a row
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-25-2010, 7:09 AM Reply   
That guy just seems dumb. Who goes fishing without a license? In a tournament none-the-less! He should get a ticket, along with everyone else, and that fish should have been released because of the stupidity of the fishermen
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-25-2010, 7:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
He should get a ticket, along with everyone else, and that fish should have been released because of the stupidity of the fishermen
Now that I disagree with...

Far as I am aware, there was nothing illegal about this that would warrant such action, only broke tourney rules thus the forfeit of the prize...
Old     (bennn)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-25-2010, 7:15 AM Reply   
Dumb as this guy is I feel so bad for him... Not to mention the rest of the crew
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-25-2010, 7:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by zo1 View Post
Now that I disagree with...

Far as I am aware, there was nothing illegal about this that would warrant such action, only broke tourney rules thus the forfeit of the prize...
Why? If I go fishing without a licence and get stopped, I would get a ticket just like anyone else. You can't hunt without one either.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-25-2010, 8:10 AM Reply   
Paul, It said in the article he was the First Mate on the boat, he wasnt fishing he was working. The first mate basically is responsible for all of the b**ch work on the boat while the clients are fishing.

As to the comment about getting a ticket, its the same as if you went fishing and your wife decided to tag along for the boat ride. Should she get a ticket becasue she didnt have a liscense?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-25-2010, 8:12 AM Reply   
If she touches a pole, lure, or fish, then yes.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-25-2010, 8:13 AM Reply   
or why not just get her one in case, it's not that hard or expensive. It's a law, and it helps preserve the natural resources we commonly love to use
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-25-2010, 8:36 AM Reply   
Didn't catch the first mate part.

It really depends on how many poles you have on board. Each fisher is allowed two. anything beyond that is considered the other persons/ or the licenced fisher gets in trouble for being over the limit. Usually chartered fishing boats have a bunch of poles aboard. It would be difficult to prove who was actually fishing/not fishing. In this case they just said, he was the "first mate"

"Peter Wann pulled with all his strength and the creature emerged from the ocean depths"

Last edited by psudy; 06-25-2010 at 8:37 AM. Reason: left
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-25-2010, 8:42 AM Reply   
Whether he was a first mate or not, to think you don't need a FISHING license in a FISHING tournament in public waters, you deserve to be disqualified.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-25-2010, 9:30 AM Reply   
Tournaments work a lot different than just some schmo going out fishing with his wife. It clearly states in the tournament rules that every fisherman in the boat needs a valid license, end of story.

You should read about 2000's Bisbee's Black & Blue Tournament, the angler thought the deck hand had touched the line before the fish was leadered. It was nearly dark but he mentioned it to the post event interviewers and because there was reasonable suspicion they DQ'd their fish. The rest of the boat said that no one had touched it. That one cost close to a million as well.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-26-2010, 2:20 PM Reply   
This kind of stuff happens all the time in big money billfish tourney's. As said above, you better have all your ducks in a row, because if you do win a big pot tourney, you will be taking lie detector tests and speaking with officials before you actually even get close to seeing your money. For someone in the position that the mate was in to not have a license is one of the stupidest things I've heard, he should have been up to date and he knows it, its the boat owners fault for not making sure he kept it current. Sucks he lost the money, however had he read the rules carefully before they left the docks, he would currently be a richer man.

And when it comes down to it, as Big Heavy said, tournament rules stated cleary all individuals on board each vessel needed to be licensed, he had no license, boats gets no prize money.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-27-2010, 3:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake77 View Post
Whether he was a first mate or not, to think you don't need a FISHING license in a FISHING tournament in public waters, you deserve to be disqualified.

This
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-28-2010, 7:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac View Post
And when it comes down to it, as Big Heavy said, tournament rules stated cleary all individuals on board each vessel needed to be licensed, he had no license, boats gets no prize money.

I completely agree with this. The rules are in black and white and they did not follow them.

The argument I was making was to whoever said he should be fined / ticketed by the state. For every charter boat I have been on, the first mate was not considered a fisherman therefore they didnt need a sport fishers liscense (although most do have them) They are covered under the captains charter fishing liscense. Again not to fish, they are the first mate witch includes baiting hooks.
Old     (nu2dagam)      Join Date: May 2004       06-28-2010, 11:12 AM Reply   
This is right in my back yard. Manzo, how close to Morehead are you? In terms of fishing license. The state is pretty strict. I cant take my wife out on the boat with me, even if she is not fishing and I only have one pole, and fish. She must have a license. It was huge news though. That was the biggest Marlin ever caught in the Big Rock.