Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-25-2016, 7:47 AM Reply   
Can you imagine if someone were to say that in our sport?
They'd get demolished.

Wanted to start a flame war to see if anyone thinks there'll ever be a day when someone says grabbing isn't necessary in wakeboarding. I don't.

All of the tricks in this edit just look lazy because his hands are right next to the board anyways
http://snowboarding.transworld.net/v...StaJUAdqdtf.97
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-25-2016, 1:31 PM Reply   
it's not necessary at all. You don't need to grab a trick to exhibit control over it and show style. Wakeboarding you have to deal with a handle so these hand taps some people call grabs are just silly. Its also better than grabbing like a complete kook (aka nuclear, tindy, etc)

Tricks that look like trash will always look like trash grabbed or otherwise.

This thread will be me against the world again, since I am a converted snowboarder.

Last edited by simplej; 11-25-2016 at 1:34 PM.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       11-25-2016, 2:35 PM Reply   
I've always thought some of the tricks that Murray does ungrabbed look better than anyone else's grabbed version of the same trick. That video is kind of odd though because it looks like the guy is actively trying to keep himself from grabbing out of habit.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-25-2016, 3:09 PM Reply   
Ever heard the phrase "when in doubt, grab it out"

That's what's happening here. It's easier to keep control when you get super booted if you grab the board. He's trying to tweak off an enormous booter which is more difficult than simply grabbing when you're sending it that big
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-26-2016, 7:51 AM Reply   
I can buy it. Grab doesn't mean instant style. I'd rather see smooth and floaty over a half-asses grab thrown into a sloppy trick. But smooth, floaty and well grabbed is tough to beat.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-26-2016, 9:40 AM Reply   
I honestly thought that video was pretty sick. His stalled, late Backside 180's were plain awesome. Reminded me of the start of that trend in snowboarding over 20 years ago, when john Cardiel first did them and people were blown away.

I also agree with the comment above, sometimes "wakeboarding "taps" which are called grabs, while very difficult i don't think they are the end all be all of style. Like a grab while spinning a 900 on a wakeboard, yes its hard but its more of a tap than a full on grab.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       11-29-2016, 12:29 PM Reply   
You gotta do you sometimes and experiment with different stuff... It's definitely different and definitely has a unique style.

I personally think that at times, it almost seemed like he WANTED to grab, but was holding himself back, which felt a little bit awkward to me. Or maybe that was just me and my mind wanting him to make a grab... Either way, it's an interesting progression/look.

Last edited by boardjnky4; 11-29-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-29-2016, 1:36 PM Reply   
Alex Graydon knows how to make an ungrabbed spin look good.

Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-29-2016, 2:33 PM Reply   
Words from Chris O'Shea at 3mins in
http://dai.ly/x3u01qj
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-29-2016, 2:44 PM Reply   
Good old Jeremy Kovak used that line in the 90s, why should I grab the board its already attached to my feet.

I agree with the comments that "it looks like he is actively trying to not grab the board."
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       11-29-2016, 5:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyA View Post
Words from Chris O'Shea at 3mins in
http://dai.ly/x3u01qj
Hells yeah!