Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-18-2010, 8:22 PM Reply   
it was pretty obvious going in that this was going to be great fun ....... well it was even funner!!
being able to ride behind 3 awesome boats with 3 awesome different wakes the same day was really cool!! and talk about BOARDS ..... there was a pile that was almost unbelievable ...... there had to be close to 20K in retail cost ....... staging from, eating on, staying on, and sleeping on the houseboat was an awesome idea and worked out great ...... met a bunch of new surfers ...... even got to surf in the rain on sunday ( what a treat LOL ) ...... this was a great event and a greater idea and this should be how us wakesurfers get together

Great thanks and appreciation to dennis, grant and his family from cal marine sports and his crew, robert amy and all the kids and family and friends!!! It was Truly an Awesome Weekend!!
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-18-2010, 10:25 PM Reply   
i am very sorry that i left out thanking the sales rep and his daughter from Centurion for staying the day with us and letting us ride behind that beautiful boat ....... even though his driving scared the crap out of me LOL
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-18-2010, 10:30 PM Reply   
all 3 boats put out awesome wakes ...... all 3 wakes were different in there characteristics ...... i dont see how you could go wrong with either of the boats in my opinion ...... and i believe we were told the ballast on the boats was 1600lbs tops
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-18-2010, 11:10 PM Reply   
It varied a bit, but that is about right. I am so tired, but man what a blast, and a great group of people. It was a TRUE team effort, CMS, Dennis, Wake9, and such a great thanks to the sponsors that paid for the houseboat and provided boats.

Tige Boats, Ski Supreme, Centurion Boats, Slayshtank, Liquid Trends, Exile Audio, Flyboy Wakesurfing, and the incredible team at Lake Oroville Marina.

We will be posting full details, setups, and comments from the riders on wake9.com later. We have about 2000 pictures to get through, I had 3 photographers running the entire time. 2 for the surf boats and 1 all day on chase. We had 3 go pros, 1 on each surf boat shooting 1080P video, and 2 handheld HD cams. We bought back 80GB of video from the event, so give us some time to get it all sorted.

Speaking of the team effort, I did a lot of planning with Amy, and making sure I got lots of info about every rider to try to tailor the time. But when it came to scheduling each rider on each boat, I waited til the night before so that I could have Mitch and Dennis help me. They were sleeping on the houseboat with me. I had my laptop setup with all the info they needed.

I had info of what each rider weighed, skill level, type of boat they owned, age, best trick, and board preferences. I thought each rider would get 3 15 min rides, equal time on each boat. 1 board per ride, 3 boards. Too hard to try to hand boards around in that time frame. It was going to be tight. Mitch and Dennis stared at it, and they suggested grouping by boards and types of riders, not necessarily keeping couples or families together. This ended up being brilliant, but at first, people were a bit concerned to not ride with their buddy they bought up. Had to meet new people.

It was brilliant because there were about 21 people, split into 3 groups of about 7, and then those 7 split into 2. Each small group got on the boat together, and they got on with 3-6 boards that all on that boat liked. So this meant, a rider could ride for 3-4 minutes, then say, let me try that other board, and then do it again. It was normal for riders to try 3-4 boards in one 15 minute session, which meant that each rider potentiall got to try 9 boards easily that short time. For whatever reason, I didn't think of that, and mitch and dennis did, and it made the event.

And then, after the second ride, people were like the best of friends on the boat. It was the coolest thing I have ever seen wakesurfing, it was truly humbling. These people were very different, but all loved getting into this sport, almost all were new to it. One woman learned that day. We made every board and every boat as accessible as the other and just watched the enjoyment of it all.

All the time, effort and money was so worth getting to enjoy wakesurfing with a bunch of people, some old friends, like frank, and some brand new.

As long as I can afford the time and effort, we will keep doing this. The wakesurfing community grew this past weekend at Lake Oroville. Lots of pictures and videos and comments to come. They will be watermarked, because I can't do this alone, need sponsors to help, so I will post them elsewhere.

I wonder if we can do 5 boats, and 40 people... ;-)
Old    surfdad            10-19-2010, 6:03 AM Reply   
It was a great event and what a gorgeous venue! Everyone involved is to be commended for a great job!
Attached Images

Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-19-2010, 8:19 AM Reply   
Congrats to all! Sound like you guys had a great time/event.
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-19-2010, 8:28 AM Reply   
5 boats 40 people 2 houseboats ........ PARTY!!!
Old     (islander033)      Join Date: May 2008       10-19-2010, 8:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesurfer View Post
Congrats to all! Sound like you guys had a great time/event.
X2!!!
Old     (vman)      Join Date: Jun 2010       10-19-2010, 10:48 AM Reply   
@Ragboy. The board/rider grouping was a great idea. I was able to demo about 8 surf style boards and my wife Angie tried out 5 different skim style boards. She fell in love with a board and we will be buying it from CMS this week (hopefully with a "good guy discount"). 15 minutes per rider per boat was more than adequate to get a feel for the different boards and wakes. It took riders only about 30 seconds to figure out if a certain board was a good fit or not. This allowed us to find one that we really liked and get a nice long ride on our favorite board.

This event brought people together from all over, people who share a common passion for the sport. And life long friendships were made. On the morning of the event, Angie and I came down from our hotel room to have breakfast. There we met Joe and Sue from Boise. (Shout out to "Malibu Sue") We chatted over breakfast and shared surfing stories. I also met a guy in my group and learned that we both work for the same airline. We swapped info and set up surf dates for the future.

Can't thank you enough for all the hard work....See you next year!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-19-2010, 11:47 AM Reply   
Well said Mike. That was one of the amazing things I got to witness on the boat. It wasn't like a few people ended up getting along by the end of the day. People were encouraging each other, helping each other, and then making life long friendships. It was REALLY cool.

And Malibu Sue, wow. She was funny, what a character she was. We are going to do the same thing combined with the Festival, so 2 of these a year. I can't think of a better way to demo boats and boards, such a team effort.
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-19-2010, 2:44 PM Reply   
Ok I got a little excited when I got up behind the RZ2 on the FlyBoy and yelled "oh Sh..." ! It was like riding a rocketship on that giant wave. James makes it look so easy.
It was so cool when our pontoon boat pulled up and we saw the house boat for the first time and Dennis walked out to great us. I had an absolute blast! Everyone was so nice. I wish we had more time to spend with all of you.
I must say our skim group rocked! We had a lot of fun riding and sharing stories with each other. Every time we pulled up to switch boats, people who I just met, would reach out and pull me and my gear on board. It was like were all old friends. I loved watching everyone ride for real after seeing many of you in pics and videos on here. I hope that we can all do it again next year!
Here are some pics of the awesome Polar Bear Event:
Attached Images

Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-19-2010, 3:14 PM Reply   
More Polar Bear Pics
Attached Images

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-19-2010, 4:11 PM Reply   
Great pics sue! Can't wait to sort through them all. I didn't want to say it, but that moment when you felt the board speed, and saw the wake form, the "Oh Sh*t!", that was my favorite quote of the day. It said it all.
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-19-2010, 6:30 PM Reply   
Yea Robert that last ride took me by surprise. The wave was sooo big and the board was fast!
Joe took so many great pics, it's impossible to post them all but here are a few more.
Thanks for the great time!
Attached Images

Last edited by malibu; 10-19-2010 at 6:34 PM.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-20-2010, 9:54 AM Reply   
Looks like a ton of fun. Honestly you should re-name the event though. You guys are wearing trunks! That's not very polar bearish
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-20-2010, 10:42 AM Reply   
No kidding, the weather was beyond amazing this year. But it was cold on Sunday. The name came from last year, it was for big guys. Dennis came up with a great name for next year, The Cold Water Classic.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-20-2010, 11:01 AM Reply   
The warmest my lake gets is like 73 and that's only for like 2 weeks! You guys are lucky
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-20-2010, 11:20 AM Reply   
Normally, this time of year the water will be 66-68, it was 70-72. It was definitely perfect conditions. I think I saw 1 or 2 fisherman. This can only be done off season, this type of event. Here is a pic, and a map to get an idea of where and how it was setup.

Name:  IMG_6750.jpg
Views: 1982
Size:  69.2 KB

And look at this map.

View Surf Spots in a larger map

The green marker is where we did this, it is smack in the meaty part of the north end of the lake, huge traffic area. Where that green marker is where an island starts to appear this time of year to the water going down. It makes the perfect condition, moor the houseboat right in the middle and there are 3 separate channels for boats to head down to surf. The boats never cross the house boat, so that the house boat isn't rocking all day due to huge waves. Also easy to use walkie talkies to communicate, since you don't have to go around too many corners, if at all, and you can see everything going on from the houseboat.

Thats how we did it last year, but with much less people. It was just a trial run, this was the real deal, and a blast.

One guy, in one 15 minute run, tested a SS comp one, then a 2011 Custom Elevation, then a TWP Signature model, then a FlyBoy. How else can you do that? And many did the same thing with many other types of boards.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-20-2010, 11:38 AM Reply   
I should correct, it probably can be done on season, but would be much more difficult. To make it work you would need to make an entire cove or something private. You could not do this on a weekend during the season at a public lake.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-20-2010, 12:38 PM Reply   
Well, I now have all the images in Aperture. I was wrong, it is not about 2000 images. There are 2853 images. But I have been preparing a very cool way to view them, can't wait to show you. Now off to sorting!
Old     (rlsv211)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-20-2010, 2:01 PM Reply   
I have another 1000 if you want them?
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-20-2010, 2:13 PM Reply   
LOL, do you really?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-20-2010, 2:17 PM Reply   
The event was great. It was a gathering of wakesurf enthusiasts coming from all over to converge on a houseboat in the middle of lake oroville with other people just as passionate about surfing and endless wave. I met a bunch of great people this past weekend. As the weekend progressed I became more and more pumped on wakesurfing. There was a houseboat full of stoke. Haha.
Even though I felt like I was going to die most of the weekend, I had a great time. I am a huge nerd about boards and board tech and I got to spend the whole time picking peoples brains about boards and talking in depth about them. That was so much fun.
Wakesurfing needs more opportunities like this. People had the chance to ride 3 of the best wakes and 45+ boards back to back in one weekend.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-20-2010, 2:20 PM Reply   
Y, thanks mitch. I am not "about to die", but feeling under the weather. ;-)

Mitch is a great "board shop" guy. I watched him talk the fine details with any asker, about boards, wetsuits, it was great. He takes pride in knowing his stuff.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-20-2010, 2:24 PM Reply   
Looks like a great weekend! I wish I lived a bit closer. I def would have been there. Water temp here in the PNW is about 55 to 60, and i'm still trunkin it. Duffy does that count as polar bear? Really would like to get out again today, but we have no third : (. @ Robert, and family....Great job! You guys are awsome!!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-20-2010, 2:29 PM Reply   
I hear you, and understand about living closer. We are going to be doing this 2x a year, bookending the season. Once at the festival, and once at the end, the cold water classic. We want to try to open to more people, like 40, we will see. and we are keeping the cost down by making the houseboat something sponsors cover. The hope is that more people can jump on southwest. When thinking of buying a boat, and even boards this expensive, it makes sense to spend a few hundred bucks on a plane ticket, especially with the amount of fun we had also. This is the kind of demo you need to do before purchasing, I wish I could have done when I was making those decisions. Thats where most of this passion has come from. My own frustrations as a consumer, trying to buy boards for my kids, and researching boat wakes.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-20-2010, 3:27 PM Reply   
Ya Robert, I wish I could have been able to demo a boat and boards when I was in the market for a boat. I actually didn't know much about wakesurfing when I did finally buy my boat. If it wasn't for the salesman being a jerk from the Supreme dealer (acting like I had no money, and judging me by what I had on) I just might be rockin a Supreme right now. And for the board, we just bought a Hyperlite Landlock and taught ouselves everything. It took me 4 years to dial in my wave, and I still tinker around with it to this day. So long story short, what you and your family are doing is nothing but 110% positive for the sport. Keep it up! and hopefully I can find some extra $$$ and a friend who would like to fly down next year. Peace RB
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-20-2010, 3:29 PM Reply   
Yeah, would love to meet you, its bun fun putting so many names with faces.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-20-2010, 4:12 PM Reply   
Next year if your at the NWWSA comp, I will be sure to introduce myself. I met RJ and Whitney this year at the comp. To this day I can still hear Whitney asking me why do I ride that way?(heelside) I now ride regular for awhile every time we go out. Before her comment, I never rode regular. LOL
Old     (majestic)      Join Date: May 2008       10-20-2010, 4:19 PM Reply   
@ anthonyv911- If you ever need a third let me know I live in Graham and have jobs between Everett and Tacoma and CAN make my self available! I'm sure Ragboy can vouch for me that I am a good third!!
Old     (rlsv211)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-20-2010, 4:43 PM Reply   
@ Robert ya I just counted there are 705. My camera can take 8 photos a second so most are duplicates. Nothing that really stand out. I will post anything that I think is different.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-20-2010, 5:42 PM Reply   
Cool, go ahead and post a few. I will have the monster load of them up most likely friday, maybe tomorrow.

@anthony Chris is definitely a great third, and he is also always looking for good riding buddies.
Old     (rlsv211)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-20-2010, 6:58 PM Reply   
Are you going to do a post where we can give our favorites? I know some of the haters here may not want to see them but I think it would be great.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-20-2010, 7:01 PM Reply   
I am going to post them all to flickr, and wake9.com. Any of you will be welcome to do whatever you want with any of the images, including posting them.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-20-2010, 7:06 PM Reply   
Man Chris we could have used you today. Rojer wanted to go to American Lake with his 24 Enzo. We will have to exchange numbers. PM me
Old     (rlsv211)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-20-2010, 7:13 PM Reply   
Just a few.
Attached Images

Old     (desotodave)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-21-2010, 8:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragboy View Post
It varied a bit, but that is about right. I am so tired, but man what a blast, and a great group of people. It was a TRUE team effort, CMS, Dennis, Wake9, and such a great thanks to the sponsors that paid for the houseboat and provided boats.

Tige Boats, Ski Supreme, Centurion Boats, Slayshtank, Liquid Trends, Exile Audio, Flyboy Wakesurfing, and the incredible team at Lake Oroville Marina.

We will be posting full details, setups, and comments from the riders on wake9.com later. We have about 2000 pictures to get through, I had 3 photographers running the entire time. 2 for the surf boats and 1 all day on chase. We had 3 go pros, 1 on each surf boat shooting 1080P video, and 2 handheld HD cams. We bought back 80GB of video from the event, so give us some time to get it all sorted.

Speaking of the team effort, I did a lot of planning with Amy, and making sure I got lots of info about every rider to try to tailor the time. But when it came to scheduling each rider on each boat, I waited til the night before so that I could have Mitch and Dennis help me. They were sleeping on the houseboat with me. I had my laptop setup with all the info they needed.

I had info of what each rider weighed, skill level, type of boat they owned, age, best trick, and board preferences. I thought each rider would get 3 15 min rides, equal time on each boat. 1 board per ride, 3 boards. Too hard to try to hand boards around in that time frame. It was going to be tight. Mitch and Dennis stared at it, and they suggested grouping by boards and types of riders, not necessarily keeping couples or families together. This ended up being brilliant, but at first, people were a bit concerned to not ride with their buddy they bought up. Had to meet new people.

It was brilliant because there were about 21 people, split into 3 groups of about 7, and then those 7 split into 2. Each small group got on the boat together, and they got on with 3-6 boards that all on that boat liked. So this meant, a rider could ride for 3-4 minutes, then say, let me try that other board, and then do it again. It was normal for riders to try 3-4 boards in one 15 minute session, which meant that each rider potentiall got to try 9 boards easily that short time. For whatever reason, I didn't think of that, and mitch and dennis did, and it made the event.

And then, after the second ride, people were like the best of friends on the boat. It was the coolest thing I have ever seen wakesurfing, it was truly humbling. These people were very different, but all loved getting into this sport, almost all were new to it. One woman learned that day. We made every board and every boat as accessible as the other and just watched the enjoyment of it all.

All the time, effort and money was so worth getting to enjoy wakesurfing with a bunch of people, some old friends, like frank, and some brand new.

As long as I can afford the time and effort, we will keep doing this. The wakesurfing community grew this past weekend at Lake Oroville. Lots of pictures and videos and comments to come. They will be watermarked, because I can't do this alone, need sponsors to help, so I will post them elsewhere.

I wonder if we can do 5 boats, and 40 people... ;-)
Ragboy,

Thanks for the post and putting on this event. Now THIS is the kind of post everyone can get behind you on! Keep this up and even I will become part of your raving fan club.

Dave
Old     (desotodave)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-21-2010, 8:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsv211 View Post
Are you going to do a post where we can give our favorites? I know some of the haters here may not want to see them but I think it would be great.
Roger,

I think that everyone would like to hear peoples likes/dislikes of each of the boats/boards. When discussing boards it would also be valuable to post your weight and rider style as well so we have that point of view. For instance I am a 46 year old fat guy who rides skim style. So....my knowledge and ability to discuss surf style boards make for guys who are 140LBS is not good.

In my opinion that is the beauty of this event, that different people from all walks of life can try out different products and then come to their own conclusions. Kind of defeats the point if we don't get to hear a good broad section of the participants opinions.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-21-2010, 10:56 AM Reply   
All of that will be posted, we have already gathered all of that info, age, weight, skill level, current boat, current board, best trick you can do, goofy/regular, etc. The intent from the beginning was to post all of that, and comments about wakes and boards, still compiling images and comments. However, the way we need to post it, we won't be able to post in a thread.
Old     (desotodave)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-21-2010, 12:26 PM Reply   
Robert,

Looks like Supreme showed up with 2 different boats? I see a red and a white one in the pics!

Let us know when you get your compiled info. If it is on your site due to the size I am sure everyone would be happy to go there. In the mean time, I am sure that we all would be happy to hear from anyone who was there, thoughts and impressions.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-21-2010, 12:36 PM Reply   
The LiquidTrends crew was there with there boat, hanging out. Had some cool RC boats they were playing with 2, very fun to watch. They didn't participate in the demos. Its a nice looking boat. I love the look of the tinted shield, just seems like it could be a safety issue, but it sure looks b*tchen.

I will def let you all know, its coming along well, just time consuming, and of course, there is the day job. ;-)
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-21-2010, 1:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
I love the look of the tinted shield, just seems like it could be a safety issue, but it sure looks b*tchen.
@Ragboy: I have mine tinted at 20% (I think) and its not a safety issue. It has great visibility unless I am out at night and there is no moon. Tinting a boat is not like tint in your car. The fact that it is not a completely enclosed environment make it to where you can easily see through it. The guys at Towanza have limo tent on theirs and you can still see through it easily during the day (not so much at night though).

Looks like you guys had a great weekend. Look forward to what everybody thought of the boards/boats. That red/black 226 looks sweet!
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-21-2010, 1:37 PM Reply   
my sanger has a tinted windshield and many people comment on it ...... daytime there is no issue ...... but come night it would definitely be better with a clear windshield as it is tough enough to see at night as it is especially with all our lighting behind us ...... we did the hilton fireworks show in the delta this year and during the mad rush exit it was interesting as the tinted shield did not help matters at all
Old     (rlsv211)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-21-2010, 2:40 PM Reply   
@david pierce I hope so because a lot of people put a lot of effort to make this work. I hope those that put the effort and money will get a return so it will happen again.

I thought you were describing me with your description of yourself. I am turning 47 tomorrow and fat fits pretty good. This summer I bought a 57" Calibrated and love the skim style board. I weight 250 lbs and never thought I could ride a board that size. The highlight of the trip for me was SoulCraft boards. They sent a Jetty swallow tail that was 5'0". It was my favorite of the day. It was very light and fun to ride. I rode a Walker F-18 that was 4'8". it was a little small. I rode the Flyboy it also was too small but if it was 4'9" it would have been great. It was the favorite on our boat. My second favorite was a Walker Signature board that was 5'3". I had ridden this once before and it is a great board. I recovered from way back behind the Supreme. I can't wait to read others review.

As far as boats they all seemed to be very good. If I were to do it again I would bring my own board and ride a short time on each boat. In short you could not go wrong with any of this boats.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-21-2010, 2:48 PM Reply   
Off Topic - Sorry

@Frank: You are right, it is a little tougher at night. We are only out at night a handful of times a year. So the trade off is great for us. We have very young kids and the extra shade you get in the boat is well worth the added hassle at night (having to go back a little slower and looking over the windshield).

Back on topic
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-21-2010, 6:08 PM Reply   
I love the way it looks, but we do have to navigate at night several times a year, we don't surf at night, but def have to get back and forth, like this weekend.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-21-2010, 6:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
we don't surf at night
We did this about 10 times this summer (I know its not completely safe, but we did it in middle of the week and not another boat around to be seen. Used glow sticks, etc. Also, we did not take any kids with us). It is the coolest thing. If you can figure out how to get on the lake without anybody out there you got to try it. It makes me feel like I am 25 years old again. The wave/boat are lit up and you cant see anything else.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-21-2010, 6:39 PM Reply   
We have done it before, it was fun, we have huge lights on our 24Ve tower, front and back. And we always ride during the week, but its always me and the kids. Sometimes we come in a bit late, but only wakesurfed at night once, just to try it. Def fun, but felt like it wasn't worth the risk for us.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-21-2010, 6:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
We have done it before, it was fun, we have huge lights on our 24Ve tower, front and back. And we always ride during the week, but its always me and the kids. Sometimes we come in a bit late, but only wakesurfed at night once, just to try it. Def fun, but felt like it wasn't worth the risk for us.
I would not do it with the kids either. Definitely not worth the risk.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-22-2010, 12:37 AM Reply   
So we just finished cataloguing all of the video, all 80 GB worth of video. We have amazing 1080P video from inside each boat. I made sure that I used the same cameras (GoPro HD Naked), same resolution and lenses, same position. Since the cameras were set at 1080P, they are not fisheye distorted, which happens at the other resolutions. Here is a sentence pulled from the gopro site explaining the change of field of view with resolutions:

The GoPro cameras do not have zoom, however you can vary the field of view by changing the resolution settings. At 1080p you will have a 127 degree field of view, while at the other settings you will have a 170 degree field of view.

The video looks amazing. We also have a bunch of footage from the chase boat so you can see the wakes from all angles.

RJ and I discussed, and we think we need to create 4 15 minute long videos of the event. One main video, which comes out first. It will show every rider at least once, and every boat, reg and goofy, but also show pictures, music, and be a recap fun video. Then we will have 3 other videos, one for each boat. These videos will so some of each rider on each board on each boat, all of it, but short clips to keep the videos under 15 mins.

We are hoping to have all rider comments, images, and at least the first video done by Sunday night.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-22-2010, 7:52 AM Reply   
Looking to hear what people's favorites boards were compared to others. Specifically looking to hear from a skimmer about a flyboy compared to something like a Moss or P5 DDc.

What a great setup.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-22-2010, 10:21 AM Reply   
Clark Stratford is a skimmer, and he rode the flyboy. There were a few others also. I think it is safe to say, more people rode the flyboy than anything else, we had to have 2 out at all times, everyone wanted to at least try it. It was definite above the pay grade for some, but it didn't disappoint.

I learned some interesting things about rider preference watching everyone, I love to observe and just take mental notes. Nobody pushed anyone in any directions, we only answered questions, it was really interesting to see how people made their choices, and what effected them. I will save more of those observations after the writeups are posted.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-22-2010, 11:25 AM Reply   
Still up to my eyeballs in pics and video, but I found this pic, I think its one of my favs of the event. Not because of any one thing, but because of all that is in it. There I am pulling in the rope, you see my GoPro mounted, and this is how it was mounted on every boat, within a foot forward or back on each boat, you see Clark Stratford throwing a gnarly lip slide on a Calibrated board, and you see the chase boat right there getting pics or video. Now if somehow the houseboat was in there, and the rest of the riders on top, waving...

Well, thats a bit much, but this sure does show a lot.

Name:  PB2010-Horton-Saturday-223.jpg
Views: 1695
Size:  73.1 KB
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-26-2010, 8:07 AM Reply   
Wake9 posted vids/pics here: http://wake9.com/polar-bear-2010/

Once again, very cool. Great job.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-26-2010, 10:23 AM Reply   
The video of the waves is great!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-26-2010, 10:30 AM Reply   
I should have the riders comments up today, just getting tied up with the "day" job, if you know what I mean. Some huge traffic on a couple of sites and some deadlines.

@duffy yes, the photos are not good for comparison, but the video was setup so that you could compare differences. All the same GoPro HD cameras, and the cameras were placed by myself, in almost the same position on every boat. You can see how we placed on the RZ2 in the pic above, they were placed the same, within inches on the others. All were set at same field of view with 1080P. The boats were also very similar as far as weight, 1500-1600 lbs water ballast plus people. We did not dictate anything about weighting, other than it was safe. We wanted weights that the riders demoing would feel comfortable if this was their own boat.

I will have the detailed setups posted on the site later today also.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-27-2010, 4:22 AM Reply   
The majority of the rider comments are posted, if any more come in, they will show up on the site. Setups and the image viewer still need to go up, will work on that today.
Old     (Rob17)      Join Date: Oct 2010       10-30-2010, 9:52 PM Reply   
Long time lurker first time poster:

This outing was FANTASTIC. I still can't get the smile off my face. The company, the boats, the boards, the hospitality, planning, and fun, all top notch!!

Just got back from Cal Marine Sports with my new board. I was amazed at the stack of boards that were at our disposal. I think I tried a good half dozen boards.
The Flyboy (twice), Inland Surfer Swallow, Walker Project Signature and the F-18, Shread Stixx (Jamaco and Comp one),and the Grindwater Slash. The Flyboy was a blast after I emptied a few gallons of water out of my lungs from my first fall on it. It happened so fast my eyelids and mouth were still open. The board was squirley to get used to but a lot of fun once I played with it a while. That was one of the best things about this trip. People on the boat would just enjoy watching you have fun, or fall with no one making fun of anothers ability. If you wanted some pointers or views from the boat everyone was willing to throw in some thoughts. I got a few well needed pointers from RJ on the Flyboy simply about foot placement that made a huge difference. This didn't come until I asked.
What a great time!!!!!

I really enjoyed the Flyboy, F-18 (which I bought), and Shread Stixx Comp One the most. The Swallow was a fun board as well. I would like to have tried the Sweet spot.

I would post a couple of picts if someone could help me out with how to do it.
Old     (vman)      Join Date: Jun 2010       10-30-2010, 11:41 PM Reply   
@R. Man you nailed it....What a great trip. It was awesome to surf with one of my Southwest brothers. I also bought a board for my wife (IS infectious) and I ordered the Flyboy from CMS. Dude you are gonna love the F-18, It's a great board. It will allow you to progress and then next year you will get the FB. As far as the pics...I'm sure Ragboy will post some help tips for you.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-31-2010, 10:13 AM Reply   
The best way to post pics, go here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wake9/

And look at the Sets on the right, there are 3 for the polar bear. They go in order by date/time taken. When you find an image you want to post, click on it. Then look for the "share" or "share this" button. Click on that and click on the HTML/BBCode. Then choose at least medium, but large is best. Click on the BBCODE, not the HTML radio button. Then copy the code and paste right in here. Thats it.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-03-2010, 10:06 AM Reply   
Ragboy I enjoy watching the content you put out, it obviously takes a lot of work and you can tell that you enjoy it. The surf community thanks you! Man I wish I was on that trip lol!!! Reposted at Supra forums
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-03-2010, 12:53 PM Reply   
Thanks, 3 more videos coming, working on last, one for each boat, showing all riders and boards. Should be released tomorrow, thursday at the latest.
Old     (sixx352)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-04-2010, 2:42 AM Reply   
That looked like a fun time guys! I'm with duffy in Idaho we have the real Polar Bear Challenge every new years day lol the only dings you get is hitting ice chunks! I like that wave though sue was on of her first pic on here.

Photobucket

Last edited by sixx352; 11-04-2010 at 2:44 AM. Reason: picture didn't show
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-04-2010, 2:53 AM Reply   
Dude! That's nuts. I give you props for being out there, but I also want to see pics of you surfing in that. Great pic. I am guessing you were wishing for the sun on that boat?

It was so nice out for us, Dennis and I talked about changing the name to the Cold Water Classic. Since it really isn't THAT cold in october at oroville, and its not solely a big guy event anymore.
Old     (sixx352)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-04-2010, 2:56 AM Reply   
Ragboy
Yea I never have a person taking photos but maybe i will this year lol! Looks like me and you are the only ones up. Can't sleep with all these ideas in my head.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-04-2010, 8:28 AM Reply   
We have a group of water skiers in my area that ski year round! My bays on my lake freeze! That is nuts! Cool pic
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-04-2010, 10:05 AM Reply   
It gets cold here, but no freezing. The lake is at 800ft, I have never seen anything freeze. I live at 3000ft, stuff freezes up here, mainly my butt.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-10-2010, 11:24 AM Reply   
Sorry for the delay, had some other deadlines I had to submit to. Gotta give the love to the day job. But we finished the 3 additional videos, 1 for each boat. These show every rider and every board that we had on video. There were just a few rides we did not capture due to technical issues. Hope you enjoy them, some great wake footage.
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-10-2010, 9:15 PM Reply   
man that picture of the lake .... the boat .... and SNOW is awesome!!